Ultima IX question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ultima IX question

Well, after reading some posts here about how, even today, U9 is one of the best games ever I dug my old game out and decided to give it a try. I was so disgusted with it when I first bought it a couple years ago that I never even got off of Earth. I have to agree it's great so far, but now I think I've hit a bug.

I've done the ritual to cleanse the Shrine of Compassion. I saw the pretty effects and the Heart & Glyph spun around in the air above the altar. I assume they're supposed to merge and form the Rune of Compassion, but they don't. They just dissappear and there's no Rune to be found, and it's not in my inventory or anywhere nearby either. I did gain advancement, and it let me choose an attibute to raise. The NPC's in Britain all acknowledge that the Shrine has been restored, they're all compassionate now, etc. The lady in the Museum even asks if she can have the Rune & I tell her that I'll need it later. But Raven tells me I don't have a Rune and that I should go away.

How is this supposed to work? I read in another post that they had to use a avatar_fly cheat to reach the rune above the altar. But there IS NO rune above the altar for me. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm playing using the 18f official patch and the 19f fan patch. I tried reloading an older save (from quite a ways back in the game) and doing the whole ritual again. Still no Rune anywhere to be found.

Any help would be appreciated. I hope the game isn't unplayable now that I've realized how good it is.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:00 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

What usually happened with my games is that the Rune and Sigil would be suspended in midair a good 50 feet in the air. Enable the cheats and try the flying cheat to go up and see if they are above the altar.

If not, then I might have an old save game from around that part of the game. I'll have to dig around for it.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:18 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I dont have any advice, but I just wanted to tell you not to give up.

UIX despite its bugs is an amazing game, and you will miss out on a great deal if you give up now...
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:53 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, I'm already into it enough that I won't be giving up that easily.

I managed to get it to work. I just reloaded the save I made right before doing the ritual and kept doing it over until the Rune & Heart were on the Altar at the end. Only took 6 times total heh.

Thanks for the offer of the savegame but I won't be needing it.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:24 am