View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
brainhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Temporary Invincible Creatures

Hello all,

My problem lies in combat. Some of the time when fighting a creature, I am unable to hurt it. I stress "some of the time". For instance, I am fighting an orc dog, I swing and hit it and do some considerable damage. It moves around me, I turn to face it and begin swinging left-to-right-to-left constantly. As the Orc Dog attacks it is hit by my axe, yet no damage. This happens while I am holding down the action button. If I stop swinging for a few seconds, and start again, I sometimes am able to finish the dog off.
My character currently has a 65 Strength and I am using a two-handed axe call "thunderstrike" or something very similar to that name. Is this a known bug, or is my character too weak do damage certain creatures?

Please advise.
Brainhammer
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:02 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there brainhammer,

Welcome to the forums,

65 strength for a two hander, but what training points do you have (skill)?

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:21 pm
brainhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have level 2 in Two Handed Weapons.
I have level 2 in Single Handed Weapons.

There is no differentiation in Sword skill vs. Axe skill is there?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Brainhammer
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:45 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there brainhammer,

No, there's no difference between axe & sword. Skill level 2 ???

In the stats screen, we need to know how many points have been allocated to your skills where is says % (percentage, or master or ?)

Try to do a forward thrust just after you do a parry (reverse)
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:39 am
brainhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for answering my posts. I appreciate it Wulf.

I have "Master" in both "Single Handed" and "Two Handed"
Both skills have 10% chance of a critical hit.

I rarely block attacks in combat. Perhaps I should work on that.

Brainhammer
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:35 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there brainhammer,

Something seems strange, if you see "master" to the right of s/handed or
2/handed then you are definately well up the ladder for being able to take care of yourself in most situations, you should be able to kill wolves with one
blow, but "master" should read 60% not 10%. Maybe go back a saved game or two and see if a prior level (lower stats) has more than 10%. There is something not in order?

There are many past threads for you to browse, by using the search engine at the top of the page, for example are you using a mouse or keyboard? as when using a keyboard (left ctrl) + up down, left, right, is perfect control of your melee weapon, dont forget to "lock on" then do a left or right "straffe"
you will be able to run in circles say, round a wolf then as it "lags" slightly go in for the kill,

Reply if you find it still difficult, there are many on these forums willing to help.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:46 pm
brainhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Perhaps I was a bit hasty with my post. I will have to double check my stats screen when I get home from work today.

I use the Mouse/Keyboard for combat. I sounds like maybe I should use keyboard only though. I'll look into this.

I will post again once I check the stats screen again. Thanks for your help.

Brainhammer
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:53 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there brainhammer,

Sorry for the mix-up Master at 10% is o.k. you should definately try to master the keyboard, once you get used to it you won't look back, it's now possible for you to do the triple combination, 1. forward (swings to the left &
holds tip with left hand) 2.whil'st the weapon is momentary up left, forward again, (brings it right & up then momentary holds) then 3. forward again, its then possible to circle then holds weapon momentary again, then forward again will "Z" . so thats f,f,f,f. give it a go, I went to the end of the game like this often.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:11 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can easily check if your stats are okay. Input your data into the following formula and compare the result to the creature stats in the cheat guide.

Damage = (WeapDam + Str) - EnemyResistance

Critical hits make more damage and the weaponskills are ignored, but itīs good enough.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:12 pm
brainhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Phew! You had me scared for a minute there Wulf.
I will try to switch over to keyboard fighting.
Thanks for you help.

Brainhammer
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:24 am