FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic - Post Mortem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Possible Spoilers.

So I really totally dug this game. It was emmersive, incredible in scope - totally enjoyable experience. But if the designers ever come by this board, here's some suggestions for ye. So here's my "bad list"

1. More music. The music that was included was pretty great but definitely needed more and varied themes.

2. English voice acting. The hero's voice was rather non heroic. But I was actually OK with that overall. What really bugged me here was the repeated voice for the mages by that "one dude" whoever he was. It would have been better to pick some guys off the street to read the lines than have that repeition.

3. Save / Load confirmation. This is pretty standard in the industry at this point. For me the load times were rather dreadful - could be my machine.

4. Interface. When I got used to it - wasn't so bad. I thought after the first 3 minutes of throwing the game out the window though. I didn't like fixed 3rd person view at first but it grew on me. Most important though the trade interface was pretty clugee as well as the general inventory interface. With the amount of pure "stuff" in Gothic woulda been nice to have another way to drill down inventory.

5. Gameplay - great except that there was too much inbalance toward the end compared to the beginning. Game was way too hard starting out but dropped to overtly simple. I think I ended the game with 30K ore and not a thing I wanted to aquire. I would either drop the difficulty in the beginning or keep the heat on throughout the game a little better.

6. Having to leave the Sleeper's temple. This felt to me like we were trying to make the game "40 hrs played". I would have liked all the non sleeper elements in the story to occur prior to entering the temple. Though I did appreciate having some warning that the end was nigh.

7. Better end story element integration. Most games die here so its no different for Gothic - but I would have taken a hint from Deus Ex here - your performance is based not only on the first half but also the latter half of the game. Killing Gomez for example should have had major effects on the world. One moment the Water mages wanted to gut me the next moment they acted like it never happened. Same with the guards in front of the Old camp. The first half of Gothic was awe inspiring in its story telling whereas the second half seemed lacking for me. Lot of people on this board will probably stone me for saying this since they replay games - but I don't. I would have rather not had a choice of camps and had more energy put to the entire story start to finish.

If this all sounds negative don't read too much into it. Out of the games I've played in the last 6 months (which is most published) Gothic ranks 2nd most enjoyable after Deus Ex which I recently picked up albiet a little out of date .

All in all an excellent game.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:44 am

About the voices: I also thought that some voices seemed a bit out of place. I mean we are talking incarceration, colony, and harsh envirnoment.

People should have sounded more pissed, more sarcastic, more "on the edge". Including the main char. They are all weed smokers and shnapps drinkers for chris' sakes. Yet, the main char had this Mariah Carey voice. That's just so wrong. "Where would I find Swamp Sharks, please?" should have been "Damn it, tell me where Swamp Sharks are, or I'll ...$#@$#%".
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:24 pm

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I agree on the voices issue. It was the same in the German version, just a few guys doing all the voice-acting. Should have been more - since I tend to link voices to characters, I always became slightly unnerved when talking to somebody with Bloodwyn's voice. It really made me dislike the guy on the spot, no matter who he was.

Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:33 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

On the subject of Bloodwyn - yes, good choice for that particular char, but bad choice for anyone else...

The whole game had hits and misses all over the place when it came to voice acting. I loved the way Corristo and (especially) Saturas were done. And then you run across some NPC who uses 4 (!!!) different voices to greet you, thank you for the weed, tell you who calls the shots and ask if you're looking for trouble. Talk about an impression spoiler.

We fight because we must.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:08 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Let's hope they fix the voice acting in Gothic 2. Although I rather liked how the main character was portrayed. He wasn't always looking for a fight, but when there was one he didn't sound like he was backing down. He just wanted to bust out of the barrier. So he was going to use any method nessecary, incudling politeness to those with valuable information or skills to teach. After all you catch more flies with honey than with vinager.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:48 pm
MrMango
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I completely agree. I've played the game many times and enjoy it immensely, but improvement of the unbalanced significance in the story line, difficulty balance, voice acting (along with voice updates), and multiple endings would transform this from a great game to a historic game. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed in Gothic 2.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:21 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I agree on the interface issues totally. The save time is OK, but load time is a damn killer. My machine is 1.3 GHz with 640 RAM and ultra wide SCSI drives, but I could smoke a Northern Dark before it would get loaded This is probably because of the great complexity of the universe, because loading in the Orc Cemetary and in the OM and NM are much much faster.
Confirmations are a must. I got caught a couple times starting a new game instead of saving and quite a few times loading a wrong save.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:57 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

The universal mage voice always belonged to Corristo for me, other than the narrator in the intro movie, he was the first place I heard it. Then to hear Saturas, Riordian, and Xardas use the same voice was very invasive!

I think G2 needs more voice actors too!
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:45 am

Agreed. Definitely. Same thing with the little things people say when you beat them up or they kick ur ass...It was strange hearing Mud say in this gruff voice, "You're already dead, you just don't know it." Then he his normal annoying voice, "Why'd you hit me?" (I didn't hit him, I cast Rage on him and rather enjoyed him and Shrat fight it out. Of course, Shrat won...)
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:21 am