Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
OMG crash crash crash - Ideas?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

Okay, this game is crashing all the damned time. Most often when dealing with 3 or more enemies. And it almost always crashes my whole system. I'll go out to desktop and Gothic will still be running but the sound will be looping, and it gives me an error about "memory" can't be "written" And it refuses to close. I can end task it all day long and it will never close I have to turn off my computer. I wrote Piranha-Bytes awhile back with some issues but they never responded. I guess you can only enjoy the game if you are lucky or German. Oh well. Maybe some of you have some ideas. Here are my system specs.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5ghz)
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce III 4x AGP 64MEG
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer 5.1
Windows XP Home Edition
DirectX 8.1
Gothic Version 1.08j (English)
Dual 40GB 7200RPM HD with Primose FastTrack RAID 2.0 Stripe

I have the latest drivers for all my goodies.. I'd really love to be able to play this game but it locks up WAY to often and having to totally restart everything is annoying. Take care all..
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:39 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Change the sound provider to DirectSound HW.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-01-14 15:10 ]
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:09 pm

Nope.. I tried it, walked up to a group of 4 Bloodflies I took two swings and insta lock up as usual.. The sound is still looping as I am typing this. System runs fine but Gothic won't close. Oh well time to hit the power button.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:21 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Did you also disable 'Reverb', lower the resolution to 1024*768*32 and restart Gothic?
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:12 pm
Ewok698
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Dang, the same thing is happening to me too! I can't take it! Every five minutes the game freezes and I have to reboot my computer! HELP!
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:52 pm

same thing happening to me too

multiple enemies = crash, but it isn't as bad as long as i dont draw my weapon i think

anyone figure this out yet?

btw, when i'm naming my saved game, my z & y keys are switched...anyone else notice this? weird
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:22 am

I set my speakers to 2 instead of 4 or surround and it quit crashing.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:32 pm

I've posted to a different thread about this, but I'm locking up a lot too. I'm not sure whether or not it's sound related - perhaps it's not the number of enemies but the number of different sounds that cause the lock-ups. In my case I can't even get back to the desktop like the guy that started this thread could. I lock "hard" and then have to hit the old reset button. I thought it was graphics related as the graphics would "stutter" and then freeze but perhaps it's not. I've tried changing almost every setting but, alas, to no avail.

Thanks,
Matt
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:34 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The multiple enemy crashes are probably one of the two 'mss32.dll' related problems. Browse or search the forum, everything has been written about this before.

I donīt know about the freezing. You should also read the mss32 threads and try the things. If you canīt get it fixed mail Piranha Bytes.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:30 am

Mailing Piranha Bytes won't get you anywhere, they won't write back.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:50 am

Hello all, Gothic ran like crap on my system, locking up all the time. I used alt-ctrl-del and alt-f4 to get past most of it. I tried many things with my sound cards I had and nothing fixed it. I was able to get the game to play with terrible echo, even with hardware acel turned off. HERE IS THE FIX! SPEND THE $50 and buy a SB pci 512 sound card from Creativelabs. My game works perfectly now.

AMD 1.3
512mb Ram
70gb hdd
Geforce 3 Ti 200

The sound card was the whole problem. Gothic is a good game and your system prob needs the upgrade anyway.

Hope that helps
Sgtrain.

I hope this all made snese since I had 4 sleeping tabs and can barely see what I am writing.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:32 am

quakedance
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you haven't already got the 23.11 XP drivers you can get em here:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

BTW, did it ever run good without crashing?
Try also fiddling with the sound control. It seemed to have worked for some.

Otherwise, play it as best you can and wait for new detonator drivers which will be released soon

Good Luck on your quest

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:49 pm