RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
DaViLLaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Any MMORPG's have Real time Combat????

I am looking for a combat based MMO' .
More PvE than PvP.

Do any out there even come close to a more complicated combat system than queueing(sp?) up commands and waiting to see what happens.
I want more direct control over my characters fights.

ALso,
hich MMORPG currently has the best combat system, and which coming one looks promising??

Thanks,
DaViLLaN
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:21 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Any MMORPG's have Real time Combat????

quote:
Originally posted by DaViLLaN
I am looking for a combat based MMO' .
More PvE than PvP.

Do any out there even come close to a more complicated combat system than queueing(sp?) up commands and waiting to see what happens.
I want more direct control over my characters fights.

Problem is lag... which is why most mmorpgs steer clear of "real-time" combat systems. I don't know of a true mmorpg that has combat more akin to action games (which is what I think you're asking). You might want to try Planetside, although it's not an RPG by a longshot.

Otherwise, as I mentioned, the problem of lag would make it just too frustrating.

quote:
Originally posted by DaViLLaN
ALso,
hich MMORPG currently has the best combat system, and which coming one looks promising??

Ouch! The million dollar question.... It's my experience that combat is among the weakest features of most mmorpgs out there. If I have to choose one for suggestion, I'd say DAoC. But combat is rather passive in that game. I like SWG's combat, and it IS much more interactive than others since you can move and gain advantages with postures and such, but it's not perfect. And it's still a far cry from being "real-time".
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:43 pm
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, Planetside is a true Real Time MMORPG. But there is NO PVE. The game is more of an FPS MMORPG, similar to say Battlefield 1942, but your character can level and advance his skills like an MMORPG.

If you're looking for something like Morrowind, but online, there's really nothing out there like that, yet.

The best combat system I've seen in any MMORPG would have to be Dark Age of Camelot ( darkageofcamelot.com ). A good fighter/tank type person can change the outcome of a fight by using the right skills or "styles" at the proper time, in the proper "chain". Its really the only MMORPG I've seen where combat is more than just entering combat mode, and going AFK to make a sandwhich, coffee, use the restroom etc. like say Everquest. Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) also offers excellent PvP known as Realm vs. Realm (RvR). Its not necessary to participate in RvR, but it sure is fun to do so. One could play DAoC all the way to level 50 and have a good time doing it without ever killing another player if they chose to.

Asheron's Call 2 has a similar Combat system, but not quite as detailed, and doesn't seem to make as much sense as DAoC.

Although DAoC is technically a turn based MMORPG, its the closest thing I've found to not feeling that way.

Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) also has some combat "styles" included in it to make combat a little more interactive, but still not as good as DAoC IMHO.

The most promising MMORPG combat system coming out? Hmmm, I would have to say so far, Horizons looks to have the most interactive combat, but then again, World of Warcraft and EQ2 really haven't shown their combat mechanisms off yet.

Hope I helped
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:56 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Try neocron. Its a cyperbunk mmog with realtime combat. Theres even an offline demo to try. Its more pve than pvp but it does have "okay" pvp system for high end chars. (clan wars with vechiles, factories, towers, etc)

Neocron is pretty much the only (pve) mmog with realtime combat. You could wait for darkfall but that game is not due for year(s) to come and its more pvp than pve.
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:02 pm
DaViLLaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the help guys!!!

I am playing SWGaylaxies right now, so that is satisfying my Sci Fi & SW craving. I do love that game.

But still, there is nothing like having a sword or two in hand, and

quote:

If you're looking for something like Morrowind, but online, there's really nothing out there like that, yet.

Scott, Good Call That is similar to what Im looking for!!!

Even though the morrowind combat system isnt even that complicated, It is simple enough to be implemented in a MMO', except for lag, which seems to be less of a problem in online games as of late, but it is still an occasional issue.

so, you say, YET??? What game are you refering to, or you too, are hoping for one also.

I dont want to be picky, but I would like a little more control over combat, not to the extreme of Blade of Darkness( which would be nice, hehehehe).

Just looking for something more intense.
Maybe Ill check out DAoC.

DaViLLaN[/quote]
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:18 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Well, Planetside is a true Real Time MMORPG. But there is NO PVE. The game is more of an FPS MMORPG, similar to say Battlefield 1942, but your character can level and advance his skills like an MMORPG.

These are online action games, not MMORPGs by any standard that I know of though. I'm not sure how much hardcore of an RPG the original poster was really looking for, but let's not confuse things here

quote:
The most promising MMORPG combat system coming out? Hmmm, I would have to say so far, Horizons looks to have the most interactive combat,(...)

No.... From what I've seen so far, and without going against the NDA, I have to simply say no to that.
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:22 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

UX:O if you read anything about it, it says the combat will be controled by the player. You will have to use your mouse in a correct pattern or follow a line with the mouse as closely as possible to gain most effective attack. That is what I heard in the beginning of UX:O. You can check it out though at this link.

http://www.uxoo.com/
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:24 pm
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DaViLLaN Wrote:
quote:
so, you say, YET??? What game are you refering to, or you too, are hoping for one also

Unfortunately, I'm not referring to anything that I know of. I, like you, are just hoping for an MMORPG to be similar to Morrowind in the combat department. Would like to see more controls for Shield use and blocking though.

Ekim Wrote
quote:
These are online action games, not MMORPGs by any standard that I know of though. I'm not sure how much hardcore of an RPG the original poster was really looking for, but let's not confuse things here

I sort of agree Ekim. But I think the abbreviation RPG is being used improperly really. RPG or Role Playing Game, somehow is being turned into only D&D type games, or fantasy type games. I think this is wrong. RPG's aren't just Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Morrowind etc. They are also Fallout, Anachronox, Freelancer etc. Really, isn't the definition of RPG simply pretending to be someone or something that you're not? Cant Planetside be called an RPG really? Aren't you pretending to be something that you're not, going thru the motions of a soldier, immitating the actions of a professional, perhaps even talking like and acting like someone or something else. Isn't that really what RPG means? Funny how SWG gets called a RPG tag but not Earth and Beyond. People look at me funny when they ask "What's your favorite RPG of all time?" and I answer with "Fallout 2".

I think there are better terms to use for Planetside, SWG, E&B etc. than RPG or Action Game, but no one has really come up with them yet. Technically speaking, Planetside is an MMORPG, but I think there's a better term out there somewhere. (I call it a FPSMMORPG, but that's not very original Lol)
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:03 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
I sort of agree Ekim. But I think the abbreviation RPG is being used improperly really. RPG or Role Playing Game, somehow is being turned into only D&D type games, or fantasy type games. I think this is wrong. RPG's aren't just Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Morrowind etc. They are also Fallout, Anachronox, Freelancer etc.

Well, I really don't want to hijack this fine thread (although it may already be too late). First off, I never said that games have to be fantasy based to be RPGs. In fact, I once wrote a whole editorial about that. Also, I really do think that SWG, AO, and even E&B are mmoRPGs (I actually never personally met anyone who argued that E&B wasn't an RPG).

But the whole debate about "what is an RPG" is a neverending quest in itself, really. It can never be answered. Everyone has their own little version of what an RPG really is, or isn't, and everyone is right in some way or another, but no one ever seems to want to agree on anything! If you just go take a look at our general CRPG forum and search for RPG titled topics, you'll probably find quite a few of them that were active in the last year alone.

In short, an RPG at its broadest definition can actually be an action game in which you play the role of someone specific (i.e. Half Life)... But I think that we all agree that when we refer to an RPG (or even an MMORPG), we're thinking of much more than that, even if we can't really pinpoint what's the defining feature of an RPG.

I simply don't consider Planetside as an RPG at all because it is much more action-oriented than what we usually find in a "real" RPG. Not because it's sci-fi, not because it doesn't have elves or orcs. But because at it's core it's about shooting at other players without all the subtleties that other, more complexe MMOs will (try to) implement into the gameplay (tradeskills, for instance).
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:07 pm
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well spoken Ekim. Not just part of it, but all of it
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:31 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
UX:O if you read anything about it, it says the combat will be controled by the player. You will have to use your mouse in a correct pattern or follow a line with the mouse as closely as possible to gain most effective attack. That is what I heard in the beginning of UX:O. You can check it out though at this link.

http://www.uxoo.com/

Yup...the guy said its no sandwich style combat....

Here is the quote to from the official website...

quote:
Fast paced strategic combat: Interactive combat that allows you to control every move.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:34 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Darkfall Online, although it isnt out yet (im hoping for beta!), has, in its design, a combat system that resembles what you asked for: a real-time strategic movement-enabled real-world-skill-partially-dependent combat system. I might not have even described it correctly, so for more info, just go to www.darkfallonline.com. Im not advertising the game -- i dont have anything to gain from hype. Im just stating the facts as they are.

EDIT -- i just realized that i forgot to mention that its PvP, so i guess that rules out my entire post.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:37 pm