Usergroups
Aren't games a WASTE OF TIME?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Have you ever thought: what do I win by playing computer games? I mean, do you grow stronger, do you get smarter, does your memory imrove? Or is it just fun. Fullstop. So istn't it a waste of time? Or, if you don't gain anything by playing, aren't you actually losing something by wasting the time in which you could?

Sorry, I keep posting in the wrong forum... I'll re-post it in Absoultely off topic

[ This Message was edited by: Nik on 2002-03-03 15:55 ]
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:35 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes,
I thought alot about it.
I do not think you can improve something by playing game. Or if yes, than not effectively (you can f. e. maybe improve perception, but you will improve it much effectively by playing squosch).
For me - it is just fun, abreaction and I love it. You can spent some time by doing things that do not improve you, that doesnt bring any values, that you just like. Of course when you spent too much time with it, it can not only waste your time, but also break your family, relations, ability to accept normal life...

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-03 15:56 ]
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:54 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

They are a complete waste of time.

But who says we have to be efficient around the clock? I wouldn't call that life. Would you?

Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:59 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Define waste of time... is having fun a waste of time? If so, so what? Would you rather do something boring and tedious which isn't 'officially' considered a waste of time or something entertaining which is?

For me, to have fun is a main goal in life. So playing computer games is not a waste of time, actually they help me reach one of my primary goals.

Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:13 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'd much rather waste time in front of my computer than waste time in front of a television.
Besides, is reading a book a waste of time? Or does it improve your reading skills and enrich your mind through a story?
It's all a matter of perception. Mine is the same a Jaz's, if it's fun and it's something you enjoy doing, then it is not a waste of time.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:28 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Holy s***, Danicek how in hell did you manage to have over one thousand post in 2 and half months??

Back to the original question, well in some way everything we do is waste of time. The real question is are you regretting time spending on the computer games?
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-03 17:33, Sethoris wrote:
Holy s***, Danicek how in hell did you manage to have over one thousand post in 2 and half months??

Hard work
Exactly: 16.45 posts per day.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-03 17:47 ]
Post Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:43 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Danicek you are posting fiend... 17 posts isnt a huge amount for one day but every day over that length of time... whew.. hehe although if you took all the posts I make over a half dozen different sites and added them up I'm sure it would be as much so I'm just as bad...
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:28 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Games are fun. Is fun a waste of time? Perhaps.. but without it it's pretty much a psychological certainty that something will be wrong with you.

So I don't see games as a waste of time... rather a... um.... 'preservation of personal well being' yeah... that's it.

I do 200 pushups a day. It makes me stronger. I work with computers. I don't NEED to be stronger. Therefore, isn't excercising a waste of time? Shouldn't I be reading?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:13 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

As an exercise to prove the point to yourself, try terminating ALL activities that are done JUST for fun (as playing computer games are). Do this for several months (if you can). Remember - do NOTHING at all for fun - just sit when you are not working. I think you will find that the human animal NEEDS the activities we call FUN. Just because we do not yet fully understand the "behind the scenes" mechanisms that are being exercised by "fun" activities, they are very, very important for life.

So, the simple answer is that games in general (computer games are just one type of game) are intrinsically important for human life in ways we do not yet fully understand. And yes, without knowing it, we ARE learning when playing games.

Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-03 20:28, Incindium wrote:
Danicek you are posting fiend... 17 posts isnt a huge amount for one day but every day over that length of time... whew.. hehe although if you took all the posts I make over a half dozen different sites and added them up I'm sure it would be as much so I'm just as bad...

I think that such amount of posts can have only person, who has good access to internet during whole day.
I am (for example ) studiyng university. I am in last year, so I am preparing for final examination and doing long final thesis. So I am siting whole day before my PC on dormitory and writing and preparing. So I ussually have this site open during whole day and from time to time, I look for new posts... (other may have access like that from their works etc.)
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:04 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:

On 2002-03-03 16:13, Jaz wrote:

For me, to have fun is a main goal in life. So playing computer games is not a waste of time, actually they help me reach one of my primary goals.

That's mainly my goal in life too, but there's a slight problem to this: If your goal in life is to have fun, what do you do when having fun in the present prevents you form having fun in the future?
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:45 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Talk about a good connection! Check out mine: 9600bps through GSM. (GSM cannot support more, only by HSCSD and that's too expensive,knowing that u only get 33k). Oh, and the price is nice: 1c/min off peak and 10c/min peak.
No, I do not have a fixed phone (only 4 cell-phones ). Cable Links are only broadband, so they cost something like 50$/month and you only have 700Mb of traffic. I have requested a phone line for 5 years! I live in one of the largest cities in the country, and it is not possible. It's great that I can get ISDN at my grandmother's (a bloody village!!!) AND there are VILLAGES where you can get unlimited acces through CATV. What can I say? This is the hand of Bhaal!
So: do you guys know of a scroll of "Internet Connect" or something?
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:48 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

quote:

On 2002-03-04 08:04, Danicek wrote:
quote:

On 2002-03-03 20:28, Incindium wrote:

I think that such amount of posts can have only person, who has good access to internet during whole day.
I am (for example ) studiyng university. I am in last year, so I am preparing for final examination and doing long final thesis. So I am siting whole day before my PC on dormitory and writing and preparing. So I ussually have this site open during whole day and from time to time, I look for new posts... (other may have access like that from their works etc.)

Heh, you use that "infinite posting scroll", or maybe even that "Never go away from your PC scroll"(which is the most powerfull scrolls on earth)

Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

Heh, you use that "infinite posting scroll", or maybe even that "Never go away from your PC scroll"(which is the most powerfull scrolls on earth)

Exactly
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next