First Impression, Screenshots, Mini-Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

First Impression, Screenshots, Mini-Review

As someone who started "modern" PC gaming in October 96 when a PC Gamer Article made me hunger for an RPg named "Daggerfall", I have been a CRPG freak. Morrowind, without wasting any hyperbole, is the greatest game I have ever played, regardless of genre or platform. (A title previously held, oddly enough, by Daggerfall)

Now, I see a lot of people having problems with the game, and I wish I could invite all of you over here to play it with me. I would be in the same boat, since my old PC (A p2-450 with a TNT1) would die just looking at the box, let alone run the game. I had to go out last september and buy a brand new 3,000 dollar rig to play this baby, and let me tell you folks, it was worth it.

Check out some screens of my Dark Elf "Duelist" here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen3.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen4.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen5.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/screen6.jpg

Right now, im running the game at 1024x768, 32 bit color depth, draw distance at half way on the slider, shadows at halfway, and the cool water effects (Pixel shading) set to on. The game rarely ever "stutters", and when it is, it's only because I have 2 bandits and a bonewalker casting spells all at once and it's so brief that only my trained, FPS-toned eyes can pick it up.

God, and I remember how beautiful I thought Ultima 9 looked....this game blows it away, and actually RUNS. I'veeven played it for three consecutive 4 hour sessions, and the game has yet to crash or lock up....and I'm running it on Windows 2000 for cripes sake!!! Good job on the code, bethesda.

Anyway, as a fan of Arena, Daggerfall, and Battlespire (Redguard never ran on my pc) I have to say I was expecting this game to be a bomb. But other then the inability to control your starting traits like you could in Daggerfall, this game is exactly the same as it's older sibling. Plus, the game is so beautiful and static (as in, not random) that you never want to fast travel and instead walk to each destination with eyes wide open.

I just had to give my two cents, had to shout from the mountaintop how badly I adore this game.

It was worth having to pay off a 3500 credit card bill for 4 months just to be able to play it. VERY worth it.

-Jued Vanion, Son of Minax Vanion.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:49 am
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oops, Almost forget my system's specs.

If any of you are wondering how I got performance like that, here are my specs (Maybe this will help people who want to upgrade by giving them a bar to jump over.)

Athlon 1.4 ghz CPU
Geforce 3 64 meg
512 MB of RAM
Windows 2000 SP2
SB Live (with four speaker setup, no less..great 3d audio!)
80 gig HD (38 gigs still left to play with, of course)

Runs perfectly. I can bump the draw distance to max, but theres a bit of constant stuttering. I could still play it, but I demand 100% smooth framerates at least 99% of the time.

Definitely a game worth upgrading for though.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:55 am
AG

Thanks for the cool Pics
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:56 am

Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re:

just want to bump this back up so people can see the screenshots.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:37 am
rascalmanny

you paid what?

Did you say you paid $3000 for your computer? With the specs you listed? I hope that's a typo because -uh- you paid aroud $1500+ too much.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:52 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nice review and pics, thanks.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:02 am

Re: you paid what?

quote:
Originally posted by rascalmanny
Did you say you paid $3000 for your computer? With the specs you listed? I hope that's a typo because -uh- you paid aroud $1500+ too much.

Depends on /when/ he paid for it, although it seemed high to me too.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:45 pm

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Re: you paid what?

quote:
Originally posted by rascalmanny

Not exactly..he said he purchased it last september...that's been about 8 months ago...

I'd say that was a pretty top notch rig back then, wouldn't you???

Hell, I paid 2200 for mine....

WinME
256 MB PC133 RAM
P3 1GHz
Turtle Beach sound
Geforce 2 GTS (32 MB) video..
19" monitor
20GB HD

Now, of course that sounds like an outrageous price to pay for such a pathetic rig, right???? But, I bought it over a year ago..when such things were more pricey...

Recently added 256 more ram and an 80GB hd, btw..
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:19 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

My computer costed 6000kr ($600.)

Amd athlon 1.4ghz 1600+
Geforce 3
256mb ram
40gb
and so on.

That was over a half year ago..
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:26 pm
rascalmanny

price

Even last Sept. that system should not have cost more than $1800 max. Depending on monitor and any extras. Well I quess it COULD have... I know prices have been falling until lately but today for $1500 you can get an absolute killer gaming rig with a GF4 Ti card. Some with the monitor. Hell, even at Alienware you can configure a sytem for $1800 and less that will play games for the next 2 years if not longer. Shop around and you will be amazed at the different prices.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:03 pm

rascalmanny

video cards and games

Consider: 98% of the games on the market today do not require a GF3 video card and we are about half way trough 2002. The GF3 came out, what, last year. Now there is the GF4 and how many games take FULL advantage of it's power?

Just now in May 2002 are we seeing games that ALMOST reguire a GF3 but can be played on lesser cards. The game companies want the most people to be able to play their game. So if we take this to the logical next step it is very likely that it will be the latter half of next year before we see many games like Morrowind and possibly NWN that really could use a GF4.

So you could take a system like the following: 1.5Ghz or better CPU, 512mb ram or more, and a GF3 Ti 500 and be covered for your gaming needs for a year or more from now. Which is great because the prices will be that much better.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:21 pm

Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bump!

Thanks for the mini-review and great screenies, keeps all us un-morrowinded people going....

Somnus
Post Fri May 03, 2002 9:44 pm
AdvocateX

Excellent Character

My friend, I am amazed by your screen shots. The character you created looks absolutely amazing, to say the least. I like the red robes more than the armor, but hey, whatever keeps you alive huh?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:36 am