Usergroups
So why all the hype behind this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Possible. The German voice acting is much better. Budget and language barrier, I guess.
Post Thu May 19, 2005 8:54 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

For the last time, the American voice acting on Gothic is NOT bad.

I think that just because something doesn't have British accents, people trash it. Like its a crime to use Southern (USA) or NY/Boston accents. If the words are enunciated correctly and with the right feeling (which they ARE for the most part in Gothic), then the voice acting is OK in my book.
Post Fri May 20, 2005 3:36 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I agree with Elkston

I respect the fact that every line in the game is voice acted. Not a lot of games can boast that claim.

IMO the worst is in morrowind (yet another morrowind comparison) where some lines are voiced and the rest aren't, at first I thought my sound screwed up or something, but then realized that it was just a half-assed effort.

later, rordog
Post Fri May 20, 2005 4:02 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Personally, I didn't think the American voice acting was bad... but it wasn't nearly as good as in the (German) original.
Post Fri May 20, 2005 4:37 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I actually thought the English voice acting was pretty darned good. Wish I spoke German ... if it is really that much better - wow!
Post Wed May 25, 2005 12:16 pm
Stryks
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If it matters, I found the controls when I first bought it to be miserable and could not fuction for crap. Are you sure you didnt set the controls to the alternate setting? If it is on default, all you have to do is target by holding LMB, and then hitting the WASD or directional buttons in the direction you wish to swing your sword. What helps a lot is that when you swing, look at how it ends. If the sword is raised over your right shoulder, hit left so the momentum creates a smooth attack. What also could be a pain is your 1hd skill is still at the very beginning. If you go to Scatty with 50 ore and 10 skill points, you can train your 1hb up. If you have an additional 20 skill points and 100 ore, or something around that, you can train master. I saw it kind of pointless that you hold a one handed sword with two hands, but after training, you handle it a lot better. Hope you enjoy the game, it really is awesome.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 pm
eggrock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I picked up Gothic several months ago, gave it five minutes and said "eff it" because the CD didn't come with a manual and I fell into the water accidentally, thus ending my foray. Swimming was tedious to say the least.

A few weeks ago I reinstalled it and tried it again, more seriously this time. Finding the FAQ helped; I spent time looking for the official manual but it either isn't hosted anymore or isn't linked to from the official site. I spent several weeks screaming at the controls before figuring things out well enough and it's been worth the effort. However, I still scream occasionally.

Some things drove me nuts; the slow responsiveness of the controls occasionally (especially when someone attacked you suddenly--drawing your weapon would take multiple stabs at the right key--more often reloads). Climbing ladders SUCKED if it was the wrong ladder. Swimming could suck if you were in shallow water--just thinking about it makes my blood boil. And there's a few other annoyances; the constant crashing until I had my sound set EXACTLY the way Gothic wanted it. A few bugs here and there. Some of these were major issues but I played on...

Gothic does a lot of things right. I like being able to take on various quests in the order I please, I LOVE the freedom to wander around. Having the view distance set to 14 like it says in the FAQ is especially cool (what's the max.? I have a good PC.)

I found the mood of the camps to be believable and reasonably well voice-acted. I'll admit this could have been a little better. It's not horrid. I like being able to beat up other people, especially Bullit and Mud, and a few of the other suckers. With no consequences! The quest system so far has been pretty decent and I haven't felt like I've been involved in too many FedEx quests, even though I have. That's because it's fun to wander around and explore once you are strong enough.

Oh yeah, I really like that the game doesn't treat you with kid gloves. Very, very smart move that adds to the immersiveness. Gothic melts time BTW.

Anyways... It's not so much a single thing as a sum of the whole. I'd say stick with it to the OP and try to start fresh instead of carrying the attitude. It's a pretty cool game and the adult themes make it more unique than almost all of the other RPGs out there (Fallout being the exception I can think of.) Good to have a different perspective in a game because I think some of the U.S. developers have stagnated under restrictive publishers (ToEE being a big example) or outright bankrupt.

Interesting game, glad I took the time to play it.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:06 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

dont really know the difference bettwen english and american but hey the english accent is funny
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:15 pm
eggrock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

"I'll have a stalk for ten ore. Heh, come back anytime, brother."

Best. Dialogue. Evar!
Post Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:53 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

Re: So why all the hype behind this game?

quote:
Originally posted by Lairor
I'm not here to troll or anything, so don't get the wrong idea.

I've had this game since it's release here in the States and I just can't get into it. I think it mostly has to do with the controls. I just don't see how anyone could play this game with it's control sceme without cheating. In my 23 years of playing cRPGs I have never came across a game with controls that are half as bad as they are in this game. I've spent more time fighting the controls in this game then actually playing it - I find them so bad that I've been avoiding any and all combat because of them. Sorry for the little rant about them....I'm sure you guys and gals here have heard them all before, but it's one of the main reasons why I don't understand the hype behind this game.

And, yes. This game is hyped. Goto any gaming-fourms and ask for a good RPG for the PC and there will be at least 5 people that will recommend this one claming it's the best game ever. Heh the whole reason why I bought this game was from the recommendation for a couple of friends I know. Now I wish I never listened to them. Not only am I out the $50 this game cost me, but also the 40+ hours I had to invest just to find out that I don't like this game at all.

This last weekend I decided to give this game one last chance before I threw it away. I'd say that I've put in a good 15 - 20 hours since I started playing Friday night and I'm still in chapter 1 and my character is only level 2. Everyone I know that's played this game says to get to chapter 2, because that's when the game really starts to pick up....but, I'll be damned if I can get myself there. I'm so bored with this game right now. I can kill crap because of the controls, and because I can't kill anything I'm stuck at level 2 with no way of advancing the storyline because I have to be level 5 before I can join a camp. I've done all the quests for the Sect camp just to find out that you have to be level 5 before you can forward the storyline....talk about lame.

I've tried so hard to like this game. Tried to get into it 6 different times...when most games I'll try once. I just don't see why this game is hyped.

i have ot agree that the controls are a bit crappy in the strt but after 2h you get used to it more and more so only an incompetent man couldnt use it and im useally playing on arrow keys s it was though for me to change to wsad
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:32 pm
druidvideo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

SKills

When you get further into the game..... killing a creature and finally getting enough xp to skill up is a real buzz. It would be worth you searching the forums for advice on what skills to improve. (ie 1h/2h weapons etc) this will depend of course on what sort of character you want to become in the game, and thats one of the most compelling aspects of the Gothic universe.. becomming who you want...and doing it your way. Was for me anyway
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:39 am
Pystal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: So why all the hype behind this game?

quote:
Originally posted by Lairor
I'm not here to troll or anything, so don't get the wrong idea.

I've had this game since it's release here in the States and I just can't get into it. I think it mostly has to do with the controls. I just don't see how anyone could play this game with it's control sceme without cheating. In my 23 years of playing cRPGs I have never came across a game with controls that are half as bad as they are in this game. I've spent more time fighting the controls in this game then actually playing it - I find them so bad that I've been avoiding any and all combat because of them. Sorry for the little rant about them....I'm sure you guys and gals here have heard them all before, but it's one of the main reasons why I don't understand the hype behind this game.

And, yes. This game is hyped. Goto any gaming-fourms and ask for a good RPG for the PC and there will be at least 5 people that will recommend this one claming it's the best game ever. Heh the whole reason why I bought this game was from the recommendation for a couple of friends I know. Now I wish I never listened to them. Not only am I out the $50 this game cost me, but also the 40+ hours I had to invest just to find out that I don't like this game at all.

This last weekend I decided to give this game one last chance before I threw it away. I'd say that I've put in a good 15 - 20 hours since I started playing Friday night and I'm still in chapter 1 and my character is only level 2. Everyone I know that's played this game says to get to chapter 2, because that's when the game really starts to pick up....but, I'll be damned if I can get myself there. I'm so bored with this game right now. I can kill crap because of the controls, and because I can't kill anything I'm stuck at level 2 with no way of advancing the storyline because I have to be level 5 before I can join a camp. I've done all the quests for the Sect camp just to find out that you have to be level 5 before you can forward the storyline....talk about lame.

I've tried so hard to like this game. Tried to get into it 6 different times...when most games I'll try once. I just don't see why this game is hyped.

I can't beleive that you threw the game out! I would have paid for the game. At the very least, you should have put it on e-bay or Amazon etc.

I love GII and I have been trying to get my hands on GI. It saddens me to read that someone threw the game out.

Oh well, Off to find a copy for myself,

Pystal
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:01 pm
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

In my opinion, the Gothic series are the best RGPs I've ever played. I'll admit I was disappointed in the game for the first few hours of play, but I stuck with it and was soon amazed by actually how smart the control scheme is compared to other schemes. Other, newer RGPs such as morrowind (not sure about oblivion) have adopted more FPS-style contl schemes, and frankly, they suck. They're too easy. It's hack and slash cut down to "point and click". The Gothic series, however, implement combos and slashing techniques that require intense finger coordination and make combat an art.

In other games, you have to have strength and a good weapon to kill an Orc. In Gothic, you need to know how to block and anticipate blows. Its real fighting.

The Control scheme may be awkward and hard to learn at first, but so is real sword fighting! So take the freaking time to learn unlike so many other people who need entertainment RIGHT NOW.

Arexen
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2