On Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and killing Fallout 3
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

On Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and killing Fallout 3

I debated posting this as news but it's all a little overheated so I'll settle for discussing it here.

A bit of background...

Gamebanshee recently published a preview and an interview on Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel - the action console thingy. Diehard fans will know why this title is bad news. Not surprisingly, NMA's Fallout fans jumped on some things in the articles. In particular...

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Kingdon
Luckily for us, the BIS guys were very interested in what we were doing with F:BOS, and from the very beginning we had a lot of contact with them regarding storyline, setting and characters. They also provided us with a mountain of information to help out with all the tiny details that litter such a landscape, from timelines to bibles.

Dan is a designer on F:BOS. Damien "Puuk" Foletto - a designer on Van Buren/Fallot 3 responded:

quote:
I call bullshit. I don't recall anyone in BIS who spoke with the FBOS design team and them actually taking our input. Again, I call bullshit. Personally, I never even met this "designer," and I'm uncertain if anyone from the Van Buren team who ever said more than 2 words to him. Maybe it was another BIS team he was referring to... There was little to no interraction between the FOBOS team and the Van Buren team. Yeah, maybe the FOBOS team glanced over the original Fallouts and the Fallout bible, but I distinctly remember Chuck (another one I never met or recall ever seeing) stating that the FOBOS universe is intentionally different than the PC universe (paraphrased, of course).

Hmmm

RPG Codex/DAC staffer St Proverbius responded to a comment about FOBOS being partly responsible for FO3's cancellation:

quote:
Partly? It's entirely the reason they cancelled Fallout 3. The excuse Darth Molitor gave was that Fallout 3 probably wouldn't be completed on schedule. One big reason it might not make it on that schedule is because Darth Molitor* kept pulling people off Fallout 3 to work on Fallout Enforcer: Brothelhood of Steel.

Puuk replied:

quote:
Damn straight. I'll 100% confirm this.

The full thread is here (not for those easily offended):

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3785

*Nick-name for Jim Molitor - Interplay Vice-President of Production.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:05 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Heh. I love how NMA calls it FO:POS, instead of FO:BOS. I wonder if there will ever be anything positive to say about that game...
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:25 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I can't help wondering why Interplay cancelled a sequel to two of the history's most appreciated games, with a huge number of fans, and instead develops a console game...

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:55 pm
Dhruin

Simply put: Herve Caen always wanted to shift Interplay to console-only (whether because of the perceived sales potential or his personal bias or something else is open to debate). Fallout 3 was behind schedule, at least in part because resources were shifted to F:BOS.

Then Caen had a stroke of "genius": do a "Kill Bill". Hold some content from F:BOS back and use it to make F:BOS2. With some content, an engine and a bunch of art assets they could do a sequel in no time and it suits Caen better 'cause it's console anyway. Cancel FO3 - save the money to fund F:BOS2.

For those that would say console titles sell better - it's not that simple. BG and BG2 - both PC titles - have massively more sales than BG: Dark Alliance.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:56 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

As far as I know, Fallout never sold much or had a large fanbase (although a quite rabid one... as the threads show).

Maybe they switched because interplay are more established in the console market? Or because of reduced competition? Maybe because they can pump out more console titles, and thus have a chance of turning around profits?
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:19 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I already shed my tears over VB, and also cursed the whole Interplay with its F:BOS, (there are only SOBs left there anyway).

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
As far as I know, Fallout never sold much or had a large fanbase (although a quite rabid one... as the threads show).

That's true, FO didn't sell too well, but as fan base goes you couldn't be more wrong. The game came out in '96, and yet many people consider this piece among best ever or at least in top 5. There are lots of fan sites dedicated to the universe of FO in many countries. The most common here (North America) No Mutants Alowed and Duck and Cover.

There was a time when a Russian developer was producing a remake of the game (no clue why it didn't came through). Another independent group of people works on Phoenix, then there is this Trinity, both these game are inspired by the original Fallout.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:52 pm
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

?

#1. You would think that they could put just a couple of guys to do for ex. fallout expansions, with all the grafix etc. ready and done for the 3 existing fallout titles, game engine ready, etc... it should have been something that brings in some profits with minimal funds req.

#2. It amazes me how this company failed to recognize the potential of this property. O.K. meybe these games never sold too well, but they STILL SELL after how many years ? + the fan base actually seemed to grow over all these years.

It just seems like a bad managerial decision You make 3 titles that sell fairly well, the series has almost a cult following, expansions could be made with minimal input of funds, and then you cancel the whole thing and make a poor console game. If it ain't broke don't fix ti god damn it.

PS: Yes I still think expansions for F2 would be a cool idea
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:28 am
Dhruin

I don't think just re-using existing Fallout graphics would cut it these days, if I understood you correctly. No, I wanted a full-blown sequel.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:35 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

Very true, but to be honest, considering the severity of the current situation, I would not compain about any F2 expansions as long as they would provide me with ALOT to do & explore. I know, this is just a desperate plea for more Fallout
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:56 am