Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What do you guys think will be the next great mmorpg....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
But yeah the games like Horizons, DE, DF and EQII will be sweet because we'll all be newbies. Just hope I can log in soon enough after launch to get one of my preferred names.

What a funny concept. Sorry, I really don't want to poke fun at anyone, so please do not take this the wrong way, but if you think that the above statement applies to any game, you are having delusions.

First of all, a good portion of the players that play the game right at launch were beta testers before, and so already have at least 2 weeks of gameplay behind their belts. That may not seem like much, but if you've ever played an MMO then you'll agree that it is. The other big piece of the new player pie is filled with power-gamers, those that just have to get the game before anyone else just because every hour more that they can play is keeping a step ahead of the rest of us. What's left is the "little guy", and within the first week of play, we don't account for much, let me tell you.

I'm not saying that the power-gamers and beta testers aren't helpful. Actually those who were beta testers will be very helpful, but most of the power gamers will be too busy getting ahead of everyone else to help the newbs. And a week after launch, you'll get the feeling that you're playing a game that has already been out for months, with people already hitting the top levels!

Oh, and as far as names go, unless you can log on the very first day of the launch, there's a good chance that it will already be taken, unless it's a completely original name. That is, of course, IF you can log on at all!

That all being said, joining an established games is a hundred times better than a newly released titles for a very simple reason: established games are often more newb-friendly than newer ones. Think about it. The game's been out for years, players have already seen everything, they've hit the top levels months ago, they've played every type of character there are. They are more relaxed, more inclined to take a few minutes out of their playing time to explain things to someone that's new. Heck, some of them even have a kick out of helping the new guys just because they feel it's refreshing to rediscover the game with the newbs.

Newer games are filled with players struggling with the new interface, rules, bugs... they couldn't care less about the newb that just dropped in...
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:01 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Again, very wise words from Ekim.

If you are thinking about playing a MMRPG, I would consider the existing ones, dont even look forward for the coming ones.

If you really want to level your character really fast and make it an "ubber" you dont need to start playing from day one anyway. Although I wouldnt advice this you can always join a "professional-raiding-seven-days-a-week Guild" and your character will be "ubber" in no time, off course you will be bored to death in no time too

I am not a Role-player but I realised that developing a character in a MMRPG is diferent from leveling him as fast as possible. The best players I have found in MMRPGs had something in common: they all took their time exploring all aspects of the game and when they reached the top they really knew about their class and were much more reliable players to group with then the ones who climbed to the top as fast as they could.

Off course there are exceptions, some people decide to create new characters and lvl them fast after playing their mains for years.

Anyway, I know that some exciting MMRPGs are coming out soon, but I wouldnt think about it untill middle next year. For now there are pretty polished games like EQ, UO, AO, DAoK, ATITD, AC.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:36 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
Anyway, I know that some exciting MMRPGs are coming out soon, but I wouldnt think about it untill middle next year. For now there are pretty polished games like EQ, UO, AO, DAoK, ATITD, AC.

I know the next MMO arn't going to be avilable to the public for quite some time. And the above games are good, but none hold what I'm looking for. And they polished beyond recognition. Example UO. You guys represent great ideas for a newbie to the genre, I would recommend the above games first compared to SB or any other bug ladden new release. But I am looking for the next shiny box to add to my collection. And a game that has aspects that requiest 2 or 3 of the above games to accomplish. By now I would have hoped from what has been happening is a developer CANNOT release a buggy or an unstable server game. It is proof that it will kill a game. Devs and sponser know that they have to do a better job at launch time. And I see that coming....hopfully. But I'm looking for the next and I'll get in early....not to PL but to explore and be among the first to enjoy the sights....
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:58 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
By now I would have hoped from what has been happening is a developer CANNOT release a buggy or an unstable server game. It is proof that it will kill a game. Devs and sponser know that they have to do a better job at launch time. And I see that coming....hopfully.

The sorry fact of the matter is that not one, not one, among all the MMORPGs that have ever been released so far have folded. Not one! AO had the rockiest first 6 months a game will ever have. E&B and AC2 are quiet to this day... EQ, AC, UO, games that have passed the 5 year mark, are still highly popular.

Until one game fails, you won't see the publishers push for better products. They'll push for faster releases (and buggier games, of course). And when I say fail, I mean a real huge failure. One that would be for the books. One on the scale of "Middle Earth online folds after 6 months of existance because of lack of (paying) players" kind of failure. Until then, expect buggy games released too early.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:07 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim

Until one game fails, you won't see the publishers push for better products. They'll push for faster releases (and buggier games, of course). And when I say fail, I mean a real huge failure. One that would be for the books. One on the scale of "Middle Earth online folds after 6 months of existance because of lack of (paying) players" kind of failure. Until then, expect buggy games released too early.

What a sad time in the gaming industry. Greedy bastards!!! What happened to integrity, providing the best product possible.

Just think had SWG had a great launch though...how much more popular would it be...thats why I haven't played that game. I heard it was filled with bugs and uncomplete quests and such. Devs should be able to see it the game is complete and almost prefect at launch....it will make money faster....grrrr I can wait six months for a bug free game rather than having a game I can't play for six months.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:23 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Its as simple as this: as long as there will be MMRPGs for PCs, you wont see a "clean" release. Why?

Because as much as they test it, they cant replicate live servers. Take this example: tomorow EQ will release a new expansion, to test it fully they would need around 450000 testers with the same kind of PC configurations as their costumers.

The above is not an excuse for gross buggs and unbalanced content.

Next year the 64 bits technology will be launched, new processors coming out, as well as a new OS, that wont make things easier for Devs also.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:53 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Devs should be able to see it the game is complete and almost prefect at launch....it will make money faster....grrrr I can wait six months for a bug free game rather than having a game I can't play for six months.

That's the whole problem right there though! If they pushed back the release and waited until the game was really completed, and mostly bug free, it would have cost more and more as time went by. Actually, they would have taken a little longer before getting back on top of their losses after release because they would have spent more time in production.

So, from a publisher's perspective, which is to make as much money as quickly as possible, and minimize losses, launching a game early if you know that people will buy it regardless of whatever state it's in means that you will actually make more money if it's released early! If it takes 6 months to correct every problem, you still have paying customers for those 6 months that you wouldn't have had if you had held off the release!

Now all this isn't to excuse the way they go about releasing a game. It makes sense from a business perspective, but from a gamer's perspective we feel as if we get charged for playing a beta product. And even if the general public shunned the game because it's not ready, the few that would stay because they have faith in the game would probably be enough to sustain the end of "production".

Again, look at AO and how it went from one of the most hated, to now be one of the better MMORPGs out there. They had problems, yes, but they were continuing to be paid while they struggled... As long as examples like this will exist, we'll continue to see rushed releases.

Mind you, having said all that, I open myself to lots of criticism about me playing SWG even though it's clearly not complete. I still maintain there's a lot more to it than the financial aspect as far as gamers are concerned, but if you must criticise me, then so be it... I'll still defend myself though!
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:54 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2