id Software - CEO

Name: Todd Hollenshead
Email:
Description: CEO
Project:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-14-2004 11:52 AM CDT

IT'S DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing!
It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins We literally just hung up with
Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally
GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our
numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting
at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of
your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with
your local retailer for that information.

Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't
because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process
takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the
European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!

The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!

I'll update again with some DOOM 3 preparation tips (not what hardware to buy - you'll have to wait for
a programmer for that sort of thing). In the meantime, I want to see those "DOOM 3 GOLD!!!" threads set
new records for swamping message board servers, destroying productivity, and post counts

Recapping today's headlines....DOOM 3 GOLD!!!

http://www.webdog.org/cgi-bin/finger.plm?id=6
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:25 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Finnaly it is here, time to buy new PC :]
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:55 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Woohoo!

Woohoo!

WOOHOO!

WOOHOO!!!
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:27 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Take a look at http://www.petitiononline.com/kull1522/petition.html

[evil laughter on]AHahaha...ha!ha!ha!!!..... [evil laugther off]
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:09 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

I put in my order at gogamer as soon as I heard the news.

Then I immediately sacrificed 2 morons on the "satanistic sympols" I gots written in blood in my den. Ya know just for the hell of it.

If that petition is a joke it's a good one. And if it's serious it's an even better one.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Take a look at http://www.petitiononline.com/kull1522/petition.html

[evil laughter on]AHahaha...ha!ha!ha!!!..... [evil laugther off]

Well, we will see. I doubt they played it, so even they do not know what it will be really about.
At least I will not buy it automatically. I will wait for several reviews and I also need to buy new PC (800 Mhz, 256 Ram and Ti4200 is not enough I believe).
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:54 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

*groan*

Dammit, why wait until the end of the summer? Oh well, this will be ownage incarnate... until HL 2.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:52 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Yes, it is time to build my PRECIOUS. I have been waiting for THEE reason to build a new PC...and this is it.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:51 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I only ever upgrade when a new id game comes out.

I got my 386 for purely innocent reasons, but soon discovered Wolfenstein 3D. Doom required more muscle, and a 486DX2/66 did the job. This new machine didn't like Quake much though, so a P200 was on the cards, this time beefed up by importing something they were calling a "3D accelerator" - yes, I was one of the first few in the UK to own a 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics. This rig survived Quake II pretty much intact, but the Q3test really gave it problems - I was pulling all the tricks I could and tweaked the hell out of the software, but it still chugged at times. Thus entered my current 700MHz Athlon.

Doom3 looks to be coming out on Friday the 6th of August. If I time things correctly, I'll have parts appearing throughout the week, and can sit down on Saturday morning and build myself a new machine - currently looks like it'll be a 3500+ or 3700+ Athlon64, with the biggest NVIDIA card I think is worth getting.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's said to be a remake of the original Doom(s), my most-replayed games of all times, which stirs hope in me that it's not just a six-hours quickie (which unfortunately is symptomatic for newer games of the genre).
But no matter what, I'll get it anyway, since I'm supposed to sell it.

@Cfmdobbie: I may have bought my first real computer for Wolf3D, but I never upgraded a comp for an Id game. I remember upgrading my processor on purpose for (or rather, while playing) Rise of the Triad, Thief, Thief II, Dune: Emperor and finally, Command & Conquer Generals. I cannot remember having upgraded my video card on purpose for a game, though.
Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:13 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Usually anticipate games here, but cant say I'm ever really excited about a game being released. Doom III has got me downright impatient tho, after reading the "world exclusive first review" of it in the Sept issue of PCGamer I'm locked and loaded & ready to get blasting!

Dan Morris @ PCGamer says:

"hardly a minute goes by without a furious exchange of hostilities with some manner of demonic beastie. Imps, Hellknights, and Archvilles are all back to shock and awe you with viscerally jarring attacks, and the endless stream of zombies and scuttling nasties gives you plenty to chew on (and chew up). The gallery of grotesquerie is the product of and almost unlimitless imagination for horrors- spiders that make your flesh crawl, infant "cherubs" mutated with fly wings, and other unnamable terrors that blight the corridors of the posessed base"

"while I was expecting amazing graphics, it was the sound effects and design that had me reeling. Footsteps echo spookily down halls, monsters issue bloodcurdling shrieks, every hallway has an audible drip of menace and dread"

and my fave quote-
"At times, death brought sweet momentary respite from the fear-drenched mayhem"

“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:47 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
It's said to be a remake of the original Doom(s), my most-replayed games of all times, which stirs hope in me that it's not just a six-hours quickie (which unfortunately is symptomatic for newer games of the genre).

No worries my cyberpunk friend...

According to above mentioned PC Gamer review the game takes 23 hours to complete.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:58 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

@Jaz The wolf3d was in 1992.Right.

Also.Guys you know that Carmack was the one who created the dooms engine and worked for the engine of doom3.Also he was the one who created the quakes engine.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:00 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Has anyone played Doom III yet?

I just got word that the local EB and Best Buy both have it, picking it up after work!!!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:30 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I just played it for about 2 hours, and it is definitely a keeper. This is a truly horrifying, brutal game! Pure dread and paranoia at times, the doors snapping open automatically as you approach them. "Whats on the other side.. Argh!!" BLAM! BAMM! *click* CURSES! *chik-chuck* BOOM!! Just when you thought it was safe to go around the corner, youre reeling back. Physically reeling back in my chair, just instinctual Tiger reflexes kicking in.

I recommend playing it in total darkness, because it's a very low-lit game thus far. The flashlight effect is very realistic, the environmental lighting effects are excellent. The biggest scare for me thus far wasnt some "jack in the box" style encounter, it was shining my light into a corridor I thought I had cleared and a straggling zombie was right in front of me... BAM!! ThWAKKK!! UrGHh AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Stay fully loaded, that's all I can suggest....
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:09 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next