how to use magic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
shuccrum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

how to use magic?

I have read and reread the manual about magic and tried to do what it says but no luck. I have 4 ruins. I see the pentagram and my hand is pointing but when I let go off the shift nothing happens. Sorry for all these newbie questions.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:24 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Have you put the runes into the book of magic? If not, go to inventory and F key the runes so they go into the book of magic.
Go to your book of magic in the game and pick a spell that shows up and is not on a page that is higher than your characters level in the game. If you are at level 4, you will not be able to do any spell above page four in the book, even with the runes.
Click on a spell. The runes should appear in the upper right hand cornor of your screen for that spell. Now you have to draw each of the runes you see. Hold shift and draw the design. If you did it right the rune will glow, if not it will stop all together or a different rune will appear up there and be marked as wrong. If you click on the runes in your book the pattern for it shows up. Just practice. If you still need help come back and I will be glad to help.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:44 pm
shuccrum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok. I do all that. The ruins light up-so far it is just ignite-but then what? The manual says to let go of shift. But nothing seems to happen.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:48 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

O.K. This is hard to figure but we will try. First you have to be somewhat close to something for it to ignite. I don't know where you are in the game, but if you are just starting you should be close to torches hanging on walls, or campfires not lit that you can try on. The only ones I know for sure it works on are the ones in the caves you first got caught in and the campfires in the crystal caves. It might be easier for you to just wait until you have runes for fireballs or some other attack spell that you can aim and see results. Bad thing with ignite is not all torches or fires will light. Sounds like you did it right and just had nothing for it to ignite where you were. If you didn't hear a big fizzle when you let go of shift, you did it right and there was nothing close enough for it to work on. Hope you have it. If not we will really do a step by step. But I think you are already there.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:07 pm
dreamer13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

casting reveal

I am having the same problem, only casting "reveal" in Room 4, Level 3 during the treasure hunt. It would also be helpful to know approximately where in this stone room the stone note is????
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:26 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

You did break the wall to get into the room? Try the floor, may have to move a few stones.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:23 am
dreamer13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I finally did successfully cast reveal - on that chicken guy. I'll try & go back to that room.

What I found out I was doing wrong is that one of the 3 runes in the RPGDot'
s walkthrough I printed out is wrong (pg 77). It lists Nhi Stregum Vitae, and Vitae is the wrong one. It should be Vista according to the in-game magic manual that lists each spell I've learned. This one is level 3.

So, now I know, and thanks again for your help.

Does jumping get better or easier when you spend more upgrade points in dexterity? I am having a really difficult time in that level 4 series of ledges - can't get around the corner. I've tried all of the other suggestions I found - laying down swords, leather stuff, etc. Not working.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:37 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Strength and dexterity affect it. Don't have to get them supper high to reach max level of jump skill, but you do need upper levels of these to do your best.

Wander around and get a few more skill points for each and then try again. It is also dependent a great deal on position. Look down and be sure you are as close to the edge as you can be but not off it. That and where you aim so to say make a difference as well. Look higher to jump higher. Hope this made sense.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:16 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Also, try pre-casting. I think this works much better.

I queue up 5 spells at a time. Then I play for awhile...then queue up 5 more. Plus, when you pre-cast a symbol for each spell you successfully cast shows up.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:43 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

precasting 5 spells you say?! is that the XBOX version? caz the pc version only allows me to precast 3.. or is there somethign i'm missing or don't know that'll make this game even easier than it already is..

bloody scrib and his bloody harm spell... lolz.. now that i know of the harm spell, this game's almost too easy.. my mana regain rate is high enough for me to keep the harm spell going on forever without losing any mana, so i've got a constant shield except for in the dwarven area..

Which reminds me, do you guys really think the black beast on 8 is really invincible? or is it just that it kills us off way too quickly? I wonder if maybe we could kill it if we could use magic.. i'm thinking of trying to head back toward where the teleport is, and then just keep blasting it with arrows, and if it still manages to get close enough, i'll just levitate over the lava to one of the doors that lead to nowhere so it can't get to me..

what do u guys think?
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:29 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

ok so no body ever answered my question.. but i have another one now relating to magic..

If you go down to the gallery section of the site, and check out screenshots of arx fatalis (PC version), on page 15, you see some goblins being frozen..

my question is, any idea on how to do this spell? When i get home tonite, i might try the ice field, but i used that agianst the golden ylside, and it just gave her frostbite.. it never managed to freeze her of the golden rat..

Any ideas?

Cheers
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:18 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Sorry thrash3002, I didn't see your second post on Jul 02. The beast will never follow you down that hall for you to try the levitate and arrows. He won't come out past the door you went into the kitchen from.

The freeze spell works great on other NPC's, but they must be killed before it wears off. Try Aam , Fridd, Spacium. You can try the mega Aam, Mega Fridd, Mega Spacium as well if you are high enough caster and character level.

Let us know if you get it to work. I have heard of others doing it.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:10 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Sorry, got a double post here some how. Maybe Garrett can delete this one.
Mark Twain

Last edited by Cm on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:10 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

lol, yeah, i tried luring the beast back out, but then i realised it caves in from where the beast appears, and you cna't go back that way

besides that, i think you cna't kill the beast even if you COULD use magic.. it seems to have way too much armour that's impossible to pierce.. my magic fire arrows killed the dragon very quickly, but they didn't even explode on the beast

They'd explode if i hit something else, like a wall or pipe or soemthing, but not when i hit the beast..

oh, and i survived an attack from the beast amazing i tried running straight into the room with the dwarf diary, and it came after me, and somehow missed me.. i was left with literally 2 health points lolz

Lastly, i tried aam fridd spacium, aam frid taar, and mega aam mega fridd mega spacium.. none of them actualy freeze the one's they are done on.. they only give them cold feet lol.. but thanx CM for replying

damn, i wanna know how to freeze people.. sinc eit's show in a screenshot, it must be possible, ryte? anybody got any other ideas??
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:10 am