Balurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Balurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal

Hey everyone, i am looking at BG2: Throne of Bhaal, and am wondering what you guys think about it. How is the storyline? Do you think i should get it? Any feedback would be great, thanks.

Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:24 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I bought a bundle with BGII and ToB... it was a good buy. Get it if your a BGII fan!
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:05 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yah...

It's a great ending for a great series alright... buy it...
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I felt a little rushed through the ToB storyline (mostly because BG2 was so big ), but I'd say that you definately should get it. The ending was quite good.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:31 pm
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes, i have been nodding toward that choice also. I played the start of the game--where you are a child of bhaal and an assassin tries to kill you. It was pretty fun, but i wanted other people's opinion. Also, i got to the part where you're at a castle--it's right after you get Sarevok. (sorry if i spoiled something) Anyway, i don't really know what to do there, anyone know? (i'm sure someone does) Also, is the game hard, medium, or easy? Is it ridiculously huge like the other one? is it super cool --- my idea of super cool is being totally evil the whole game --- or do you become good in the middle of it? please don't give away the ending, but these questions would be very appreciated if answered. Thanks for the feedback you guys,

Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:14 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

So you're playing BG1 right now? I'm at work right now and I don't have my notes with me. I'll answer you're question when I get home and have a chance to read over my notes.

BG2 will challenge you in the beginning. Your characters will start to get some very nice bonuses as you level up though. With the expansion pack you can reach level 40 with certain classes. You can even install a hak that will remove the level cap. This will allow you to create a multiclass or dual-classed character of very high levels. Of course, you'll have to get enough experience to reach those levels first. I played through it just fine with my human kensai/rogue. Now that's a cool combination with the special abilities you get with the ToB expansion. That 'use any item' ability can make your character very powerful. Don't have a paladin to wield that holy avenger sword? No problem, just give it to your thief who can use any item. Of course, it helped that I maxed out his weapon proficency in two-handed swords as a kensai fighter. And now he can wear armor too. BG2 + ToB is huge. It will take a long time to finish. Not to mention it's fun to replay with different types of classes too. Each class has their own stronghold quest. It's a big game but there are less areas that you have to travel through to get somewhere, which is one improvement that I definately enjoyed. Plus the rapidly spawning creatures are pretty much gone now.
There's definately an ending for evil characters. You can choose to accept Bhaal's power and his morals. There's plenty of opportunities to be evil and there are plenty of evil companions you can have join. Even your evil character (if male) can have a "romance".

Er... btw, why is this in the General CRPG forum and not the DnD CRPG Forum?
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:01 am
sweepah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ToB was such a dissapointment after SoA, much more straightforward and the storyline was not that good.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:18 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

We do have a forum for this So moving it there......
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:44 am
Mage_77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If you enjoyed BG2:SoA because it was a huge game to get through then you will be dissapointed with ToB as its extremely small compared to SoA. There's also no strongholds like there was in SoA so it will be dissapointng if you enjoy the aspect of getting a stronghold and so on. Other than that ToB adds class specific abilities at higher lvl's which adds to the game and the storyline was more specific in choices of being either good or evil unlike SoA which more often leaned towards good deeds and not as many evil ones in the storyline. ToB is worth the buy as your likely to play through atleast a few times just to see the different endings and the reaction of you characters as you do various things throughout ToB.

-------------------------------------
Dont believe everything you hear - Sleep IS over-rated.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:46 pm