Gothic Saving 101
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic Saving 101

I see a lot of people having problems with Gothic 2 simply because they haven't acquired a CRPG save game intuition yet. Trust me, it's nothing to be ashamed of. I went through the brutal lessons back in the days of Ultmia, Wizardry, and The Bard's Tale...

Having a good game saving intution can only come from years of CRPG playing - after many trials and tribulations. But I'm here to share my G2 save game tips to spare you the horrors of in-game choices you wished you hadn't made or that untimely corrupted save game file...

Saving often is only half the equation. The other half of the equation is to be sure to make different save games at frequent intervals.

Here are some good save game tips for G1 and G2.

Wherever you are right now in the game, make a manual save game point.

For the next 30 to 60 minutes, use F5 (quicksave) to save your progress. For those of you anal enough, reduce that time to 15-30 minutes. If F5 doesn't work, it's because you need to activate the quicksave feature outside the game by editing the gothic 2 ini file (found in the \gothic2\system folder.

After 30 to 60 minutes, make another manual save game. Don't overwrite any pre-existing save games, make a new one.

*one exception to the 30-60 minute manual save game rule is to make a manual save game whenever you are going to make permament in-game choices such as; joining a guild, killing an npc, or attempting to take on a really tough aspect of the game, such as Inubis' tomb, or just before a chapter change.

But wait, all my save game slots are filled up, you say...

Not to worry. Once all your save game slots are filled, use windows explorer to cut and paste your save game files into a backup folder (you create the backup folder) with the exception of the quicksave and current backups. When you restart the game, load in your quicksave save game and immidiatley make a new manual save point - you will notice that all your slots are open now. Repeat this process every time all your slots are filled - make separte backup folders for each set of save game files.

If you follow this tip, you will never lose more than 30 to 60 minutes of play time (even less if you make manual saves every 15 to 30 minutes) and you will be able to return to just about any point in the game without having to do more than an hour of rework.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:42 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Thanks for the tips. I never knew about the quicksave option. To think, all this time I've been manually saving my game every two or three minutes.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Be careful with the quicksave!
It´s not official because it does not work as intended. Only use it when you´re not in interaction. NOT during combat, trade or dialog. Mistakes can lead to broken savegames.

I use it all the time. Only 1 broken save early on. Then 100 or so flawless saves.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:14 am
Barlon2
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lazy ?

Omg people come on....!! are you that friggin lazy...I just keep my first 4 saves used up and swith 1, 2, 3, 4 every 10-20 mins of game play...that way I can never have more than an hour to make up....my last 5-10 saves are HUGE saving spots...Before I join Blacksmith/Hidesguy/Alchemist/, before I joined the Mages/Palidans/Mercs, before I went into each chapter...I mean...It's not that hard...I don't like the auto save system because of the bugs...but I have done the copy and save thing for each time I do a new game...so I have 3 folders one for each type of player you can be Mages/Palidans/Mercs ect ect ect...o well...btw save before you go to Chapter 6 and never overwrite it....I went in at lvl 31 and I beat the game with little troulbe...but I saved the game right before I went in...after I beat it I loaded...lvl'ed up to like 40 went back in and just laughed my way through (I was a Palidan)
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm