Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Lev 8, Room 24, Jumping. I dread playing the game tonight.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Lev 8, Room 24, Jumping. I dread playing the game tonight.

I'm in the lava room on level 8 trying to jump from the platform to the wall. Usually, I enjoy anticipating going home to continue a game in progress, especially during Arx. But today at work I'd get a sinking feeling, thinking of jumping and burning, restoring, jumping, frying, restoring....

I've a plan. Jump, die, load dishwasher, restore, jump, die, wash kitchen floor, restore, jump die, clean cat litter box. By time I get to that ledge my house will be immaculate. Lemonade!

Please, if you have any tips for this part, do post them.

Does your dex make a difference?

Does wearing armor or not make a difference?

After placing swords on the edge of the platform, should I run catacorner or straight on or should I try jumping from a complete stop as far out as I can be?

What do you think of this kind of feature in an RPG?

Do you welcome the challenge?

Do you enjoy aiming blindly for hotspots and wondering if there are any at which to aim?

Do you curse the programmers?

Do you wonder what is the point of the exercise?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:12 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: Lev 8, Room 24, Jumping. I dread playing the game tonigh

I did it. I think I'll post how I did it, even though it is just a re-compilation of advice given on this board by others. I do hope someone does answer the questions I posed.

I removed all my armour and unequipped everything. I don't know if that made a whit of difference.

I built a nest of three or four broadswords at the front end of the platform, pushing them out as far as they would go. However, when restoring the game upset my array, I just left it the way the game restored it.

I started at the back of the platform and ran straight forward. I was just about in the middle, right to left. Each time I fell, I tried waiting a bit longer to hit the space bar (to jump). I started out with 1,2, jump. Then I got to 1...2...jump. I may have moved a bit to the right of center when running.

This puzzle was awful. And I hear the next part is even worse. I've already printed out all the notes on the board about how to operate the crusher.

Thank you to all for writing such notes. I'd have given up the game if I hadn't had help from you with this puzzle. It's sure nice to have such good instructions for doing the next part too.

quote:
Originally posted by SilkenKidden
I'm in the lava room on level 8 trying to jump from the platform to the wall. Usually, I enjoy anticipating going home to continue a game in progress, especially during Arx. But today at work I'd get a sinking feeling, thinking of jumping and burning, restoring, jumping, frying, restoring....

I've a plan. Jump, die, load dishwasher, restore, jump, die, wash kitchen floor, restore, jump die, clean cat litter box. By time I get to that ledge my house will be immaculate. Lemonade!

Please, if you have any tips for this part, do post them.

Does your dex make a difference?

Does wearing armor or not make a difference?

After placing swords on the edge of the platform, should I run catacorner or straight on or should I try jumping from a complete stop as far out as I can be?

What do you think of this kind of feature in an RPG?

Do you welcome the challenge?

Do you enjoy aiming blindly for hotspots and wondering if there are any at which to aim?

Do you curse the programmers?

Do you wonder what is the point of the exercise?

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:02 pm
liquidblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It took me 3 times

i died 3 times before i could make it. I didnt take anything off, i just walked back as far as i could then ran and tried to hit the button as late as possible, i took got fustrated, dying and loading, but hey at least you can save your progress, what if you couldnt save your progress until u reach a certain point, now that would suck, so im glad i can save at any time, anyhow, congrats on making the jump, im still waiting on a game Mod, to contact me cause one of me stones disapeared after i installed the downloadable patch, so my guy is save at the place where i put the 5 akbaa rocks wainting to challenge the ultimate guy. hehe, mean while im playing Divine Divinity, while i wait.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:33 pm
Zebulon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

At that point i left this game....
I never thought that after the big Ultima 8 mistake any *jump&run* features would find their ways into a crpg...
This is poor design !

Zebulon
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:33 pm
noah
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It really is a lot simpler than it looks. I'm guessing that you're probably waiting too long to jump. There's no need to wait to the last second to jump from the extreme edge of a platform. The game will sort of 'automatically' adjust your jump for the proper length. All you have to do is run and press the jump button before you get near the edge. It's pretty simple. Your equipped items should make no difference. I dreaded it at first (expecting to be as horrible as other games) until I found out how easy it really is. I think I've fallen in that particular room in Lvl 8 -one- time out of countless jump attempts.

Last edited by noah on Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:52 pm
noah
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Double post; my apologies.

Last edited by noah on Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:53 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Jumping

I'm glad you mad it. I hated this part of game too. They could have left it out or made it simpler. Not much fun. We should all mention that in the wish list for Arx 2. I think it does make a difference if your strength and dex are not high. When I played more warrior type, I had no problem leaping over high buildings in a single bound, but when I put a little more into casting, I hit the ground several times before making it. As said before, what you wear seems to have no impact. It is just timing and jumping at the right spot. Pain. The only up side is that this is only time you have to do it. Other jumps are pretty easy to manage. Have fun with rest of game. It is back to normal once out of level 8.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:41 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

This was indeed a hateful feature of this game. I think I tried the jump about a dozen times before it worked, worse of all without any idea why the successful jump was better than the other attempts. Without a walktrhrough I would have wated even more time searching for a hidden lever to create a bridge or move a platform. There were unfortunately several situations where I would have given up on the game without the walkthrough - my only major complaint about this game.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:11 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Walkthrough

Yeh Same here. I went to JoWood board and posted that complaint also just to be sure they get it. Don't want this lack of direction next time, and don't want to jump anywhere when it's this hard. Not fun, unless it is a small cheat like in the crypt was.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:23 am
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I didn't mind the jumps in the lava room too much, but I really hated climbing up to the Sisters of Edurneum's secret entrance. To me, that was a bigger pain.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:38 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Jumping again

Forgot about that one. You're right, that was an unnecessary pia also.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:43 am