Prince Charles and Princess Camilla
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Prince Charles and Princess Camilla

I am not British, but the recent talk of Charles' wedding is still interesting to me. I formulate my opinion based on what I know. I wonder if anyone else, who may have better information, or a better understanding of British mentality as it relates to the royal family and/or marriage would see it differently than I do.

When I look at the story as reported by news organizations it appears obvious to me that Charles' has always loved this woman. There long lasting love, coupled with reports that Charles can not have his wedding in the palace and that the Queen will not attend his wedding raises questions for me.

1. Why is the British public so set against this marriage?

2. Why didn't Charles marry her in the first place? Did the Queen or her husband apply any pressure to keep them apart from the beginning?

I know we have a few regulars here who live in England. I am particularly interested in what their perspective is.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:36 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi Darrius

Despite being a very British Badger I can’t honestly say that I have any profound insights for you into the comings and goings of the royals, capturing for me as they do the level of interest I normally reserve for watching grass grow and paint dry.

None the less my eardrums have been assaulted by a continuous stream of babble on the radio about the upcoming happy event, so for what little it is worth here’s my two pence worth.

A percentage of the “great unwashed” are indeed daggers drawn at the prospect of Charles marrying Camilla. Many were outraged at the prospect of her becoming Prince Charles “Queen” at the point (if ever) he gets to place his royal behind in the big chair.

Much of this feeling boils down to what’s seen as Charles betrayal of Dianna by continuing an affair with Camilla while married to “The Queen of Hearts.” For these people the news that Camilla will never hold the actual title of “Queen” but rather Duchess of …erm… something or other, does little to cool their tempers.

Who knows why Charles and Camilla never got together back when they first met. But then she got married to someone else and later divorced. Then Charles married Dianna, which of course, also ended in divorce before her untimely death.

As to the Queen not attending the wedding? The media have made much of this over here and debates regarding the supposed “Royal Snub” have raged back and forth over the airways. But in fact I think the answer is probably fairly straight forward.

The palace have apparently issued a statement to the effect that the Queen will not be attending in line with Charles and Camilla’s wish to keep the whole thing as “Low Key” as possible, but this seems unlikely given that the registry office marriage of Prince Charles is hardly likely to be anything resembling “low Key” whether she attends or not.

More likely I think is the fact that when the Queen considers the marriage of her son Charles, she does it from something of a unique triple prospective. As the Queen, as the head of the Church of England and of course as a mother.

I’m sure that as a mother she would like nothing better than to attend the actual wedding, but her other two hats demand that she not attend. The Church of England will not allow the couple to marry in a church because of their respective divorces and so as the head of the Church of England and as Queen, she cannot be seen to celebrate the actual marriage.

She will however be joining the couple for the blessing to be held privately later on.

Anyway, as I say not much in the way of insight for you I’m afraid. For my own part I say good luck to them both and if this makes them happy then I am glad. Just so long as they get it over with and the media stop talking about it!

Badger
Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:30 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally by Badger
Much of this feeling boils down to what’s seen as Charles betrayal of Dianna by continuing an affair with Camilla while married to “The Queen of Hearts.” For these people the news that Camilla will never hold the actual title of “Queen” but rather Duchess of …erm… something or other, does little to cool their tempers.
I kind of gathered that by part about the outrage over Charles continuing an "affair." But when I look at Charles and Diana one fact jumps out at me. When they met Charles was 30 and Diana was 16. In several American states they will arrest you that. What can a 30 year-old and a 16 year-old have to talk about? Four years later they married, Charles 34, Dianna 20. Theoretically, they could have thought they had much in common and honestly fallen in love. Still, it is awfully convenient that Dianna had most of her child-bearing years in front of her. We don't have royalty here but even I know that the first job of the Queen (or the woman who marries the next in line for the throne) is to have children. It looks very much like there was more convenience than love behind the marriage between Charles and Dianna in the first place.

I feel somewhat sorry for them. Well, I did until I remembered that Charles will likely be the next King of England and is quite rich. Still, I think the weight of the crown and the expectations for Charles marriage to follow a certain pattern kept the two (Charles and Camilla) from marrying in the first place. It also quite likely kept Dianna from marrying a man who would have actually loved her. As I see it, if Charles becomes King, Camilla would have as much right to the title of Queen as Dianna would have had. She is the woman who met the most important prerequisite; she earned love of the King. But then, what do I know of Kings and Queens, I am just a Yankee.
Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:30 am