Usergroups
Have I grown too old for RPGing?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I would recommend to take a break from RPGs every once in a while.
When you are playing a lot of RPGs simultaneously or one after another, then you're stuck in perma-n00b mode which can get quite annoying .

This "perma-n00b-ness" has two sides to it as well. On the one hand, there's you, the player, who need to get into the game, and on the other hand, there's your character who is low level, unskilled, a weakling, whatever.

The first issue can easily be overcome by just getting used to the gameplay mechanics. The second issue, however, takes a lot of time, patience and dedication. You need to play the game at the pace that the game dictates, you need to hone your skills, develop your character, make smart decisions etc etc etc

Finally, when you're a total expert of the game mechanics, *and* when your character is close to superhero status, you see the credits roll by. Game over.

And then you start the next RPG. Building up the next n00b character... but what for? Only to see the credits roll by once again as soon as you've just become accustomed to the game.

I think it's only natural that RPGs become old after a while and that you got to take your breaks.
Who wants to be a perma-n00b? No one!
Starting out as a weakling and walking the road to superheroism over and over again (a.k.a playing CRPGs) does indeed get old after a while, unless you're a hardcore fanatic.
I personally don't mind the occasional "twitchy" game (FPS like Battlefield 2, CSS, CoD 2 etc) in between to get a welcome distraction from the leveling treadmill.
Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:35 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't think I have outgrown CRPGs... I don't think that is possible. Yet I'm bored from all current Games, but if there would be one Game like "Startrail" I would be back in front of the monitor as fast as possible. It's just that CRPGs are going down the drain of mass-market... they're getting easier and dumber from game to game ... (oh and nicer to look at....).
Post Mon May 01, 2006 4:23 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yeah I can relate. I have often found myself playing a game just because I dished out 40 bucks for it and not because I actually wanted to play. I'm constantly in search of the next badass game. Every once and awhile I turn back to the oldies and play games I had never played. They definitely don't make them like they used to.

I personally like all sorts of games. Turn based, fps, hack n slash, rpg, flight simulators, etc. Although, lately, most of the newer games kinda suck. After spending hours reading reviews in search of a new game, I found myself back into Diablo 2 playing an assasin with lightning charge up and phoenix strike. It's great. Actually pulled an all-nighter. First in months. Usually, I try to stay awake and I end up falling asleep 15 mins into game. But after getting that "gaming goodness" that the oldies provide, I was completely energized and played through the nite.

Do I think I have outgrown gaming? No, I don't think we can outgrow a hobby. I just think that current games are made with a different set of standards. They all seem to be user-friendly, short and fast paced, and convenient for the gamer (minimap etc.). Sadly, the majority of gamers enjoy such games. So game developers are obligated to make their games in such a way inorder to achieve profit maximization. Although, we do need to take a break from gaming every once and awhile.

Anyhow, I urge all those independent game developers to remember what made the oldies great, and to include them in their games. Whether it be, being able to see your medals, chilling at a bar in between missions, loads of easter eggs like Super Sim in Simcity 2000, or making your code flexible to enable greater gameplay, I hope to see all this and more in the games to come.

To All Gamers, don't lose hope. Your next game WILL COME.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 11:04 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I often wonder if I have grown too old for games, yet still I love games like Civilization 2 and Alpha Centauri. Why is that, I ask myself. I think it's because of gameplay. Here is a theory: No game publisher would like to publish a game that you want to play on and on and on...because then no one would buy another game. I like Civ2 because 1: it's replayable. 2:you can do a full innstall and you don't have to have the CD inside when you play it, it starts fast, no long loadscreans and so on, you just jump into the game. And then the gamleplay keep me there.

And then there is atmosphare. Icewind Dale had it, it feal like a cold place. The story was so cool, the music made me chill and...I was really there. Icewind Dale II was just a computer game...Fallout 1 & 2 had atmosphare. They where great games, and the combat was turn-based. I think I'm too old for consols. I admit it, I am horrible at twitch-games. I like to think and to take my time. I like to select what weapon my character is going to use, how he will use it, who he will attack and so on. I miss that. I don't like to click on an enemy and wait for either my character or the enemy to die.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 9:22 pm
LordRac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're never too old for CRPGs or whatever interests you. As long as you can find something challenging from one of the classics like Ultima, Wizardry or Bard's Tale or a recent one like Gothic, there will always be a great gaming experience.

The key is replayability...can I return to the game years later and get the same enjoyment level? I'm finding that the problem with today's games is that there is very little replayability, because companies don't want you to spend years on a single game, they want you to buy the next one or the expansion (no matter how crappy it is) so it saisfies their bottom line (Madden xx is the best example, MMORPGs are another...the constantly dangling carrot that achieves nothing).

As I'm getting older I'm looking to discover a lot of the great RPGs I missed out on...and although the sense of wonder and discovery I used to get isn't as great, I still get a great deal of satisfaction from start to finish.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 3:12 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
I would recommend to take a break from RPGs every once in a while.

I'm trying to do that now. Currently I'm playing Oblivion and when feeling bit too tired with it, I switch to some fps (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory as an example).
Post Tue May 23, 2006 6:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2