Usergroups
Admiral dte meets the Khaak
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Badge, the only one of your questions I can answer with any certainty, is that each piece of software does something different, so you need all of them eventually.

Now my current problem. I took a delivery job for my Disco and sent it on its automated way while I was trading with my merc. It docked at the correct place, everything tells me it's docked there, but it won't complete the quest and I can't make it deliver the goods. Now I'm getting nasty personal messages about not completing the job and don't dare show your face again!! Is this another undocumented feature I've messed up on?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Corwin: You must be personally present to get and complete board missions.

@Dhruin: Thank you, kind sir. I might have to back up a save or two. My haulers will pretty much be sitting idle until I can get rid of the adv sats (ran myself down to ~2000cr when I stocked up), and I'm not certain I'm willing to put up with that. We'll have to see. At least I now know it's not a completely irreversible disaster if I don't have a good save (pre- sat purchase, but not WAY before-- I don't think I do). Thanks again! On a side note, any idea why Egosoft disabled the search function on their forum?

@Badger:
2) Depends on what you like to transport. A guy could make a killing moving Argnu to the Cahoona factories, but cleaning out a full load is 4000 cargo units (1000 x 4). Same goes for moving energy (5000 x 1). OTOH, crystals don't require near as much (~350 x 3). Silicon mines are a bit bigger (~300 x 5). Probably the correct way to think about it is that you could do some "multiple item runs" with one of those monsters. The logistics would be a beast, but you could probably make a fortune with a 6-8 station loop where you don't empty your entire hold at each stop.
3) Trade3 might be an unusual situation. As best as I can tell, it's an officially sanctioned and incorporated user mod, so it might not operate under the same rules as the other 6 computer upgrades. I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with Corwin- if you need Trade2, Trade1 probably wouldn't hurt. Since they're only ~4k each, I use an "all or nothing" mentality.
4) Without refering to a cheat sheet, I think a "rough comparison" to the statistics of the manual's example is the best you can do.
5) We didn't get a forum for Freelancer. We used much the same arguments, but Rend wasn't swayed. I'd say the odds of getting one for X2 are slim. OTOH, this was before the Dot went to its current, more liberal policy on opening and closing forums.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!

Last edited by dteowner on Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:50 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks for the info Corwin. I should have known that it would make you buy them all.

Thank also for the earlier answer about changing ships in a station. I'll try that later.

Now then.. funnily enough I know the answer to your query as well. You know it as well if you have another look at my little trading adventure above. When I remote sent my Merc with 600 units of cells, it was not accepted. To have it accepted I had to be physically piloting the ship when it arrived.

Bet it's the same with your Disco dilemma.

Badger
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:52 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

BAH! dte stole my thunder.

There goes my chance to shine.

Badger
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Got your PM, Badger. Looks good to me!

One thing I thought would be best mentioned here for everyone is that I'll sign up to moderate. Dhruin's pretty buried with his editor duties, and my duties with Morrowind are practically nil these days. Obviously, Dhruin will be our resident guru, but I can handle the administrative junk.

The other thing I'd mention is that it would be a good idea, for those of you that send a PM to Myrthos, to mention that there aren't many competing forums for this game (I know of only 3), and the ones out there aren't really that good. The Egosoft boards are decent, but (from what I've seen) they're slow, have their fair share of garbage posters (flames, trolls, me-too-ers) and having their search feature disabled is just criminal.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:21 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I'll be glad to send the pm for you, but I WILL NOT get hooked on another game at this time. Dte and Corwin have me hip deep in NWN and they better see me through it.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:25 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks dte, that's a weight off. I was a little worried that I might have to put my keyboard where my mouth was for a minute there I'd have given it a go for sure, but my wife will tell you that I'm more of a pick that up from here and put it there person, than an admin person.

I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Thanks cmc as well. I sent this to you because you responded on my other thread, so I assumed you were a convert. Thanks for your support.

Badger
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:31 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

@Corwin, regarding a second ship. I don't think there's a perfect answer for this part of the game but my choice would be a Manta or other TP-class ship for trading. Since you won't be flying it, it won't matter that you'll miss out on BBS missions for TS freighters. It only takes M or L freight (depending on your choice of ship) but that should cover most of the goods you'll trade. They're fast -- but most all -- you'll want 3x of them for the SPP so buying one now gets you a step closer.

@Badger

1. You can't park the big ones, except at shipyards. Makes 'em a pain in the butt but that's deliberate for balancing reasons. An M6 Corvette will dock an M5, which to use to ferry goods to the M6 (there's also a matter transporter the Goners sell). The M6's are just about perfect in every other way so Egosoft needed to make sure they werren't quite a killer ship.

2. Apart from dte's answer, ships like the TL are primarily used for transporting stations, not goods.

3. Not cumulative but you certainly don't need them all. Unfortunately, I don't rememebr what's what off the top of my head accurately. IIRC Fight software MKI gives you a leading reticle to help aim (press k to turn it on and off) and Fight MKII improves accuracy. One of them gives you some turret commands. You want Fight software on your own ship but don't bother with remote ships. Trade MKII adds commands to remote ships to work better with a Station - essential if they belong to a Station but not for a basic remote trader. Trade Extension lets you see prices without docking (absolutely essential!) but only needed in the ship you are flying.

(M - Military)
M5 - Fast scout ship, you've all tried out the Disco
M4 - light fighter, poor man's pirate capture - not a great class
M3 - heavy fighter - kill anything but the best are slow
M6 - Corvette - perfect ship - even fast - can't dock!!
M0 - Destroyer - useful for owning the Xenon - just run over any resistance
M1 - Carrier - don't leave your fleet of fighters at home

(T - Transporter)
TP - Transporter Personal - handy fast freighter, great station support
TS - Transporter Small - slow but big freight
TL - Transporter Large - can nudge asteroids, move stations or just run over the enemy

Press 'i' while a ship is highlighted in the shipyards for the stats.

5. A forum would be fun - but I'm not sure we have the numbers to sustain it. Anyway, let's see what Myrthos says.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

For the 2 of you that can't see it yourself, the possible X2 forum is up for discussion on the top-secret moderators' forum. Dhruin, the moderator crown should be yours if you want it, but you've said the editorship soaks up all your time so I threw my hat in the ring. I have no problem at all bowing out if you want it.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:01 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

@Dhruin

Thanks for the ship classes. I'll have to have a surf as well because I'll bet there's a full list of ships with pictures somewhere out there.

Regarding "5. A forum would be fun - but I'm not sure we have the numbers to sustain it. Anyway, let's see what Myrthos says."

I bet there's a stack of folk in the other RPG.dot forums where I at least never go, who would pop into an X2 forum. If we build it..they will come.

@dte

Fingers crossed.

Hey.. this is exiting isn't it. I guess I'd be a founder member eh?

Badger
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:31 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

@ Badger. You haven't got me yet. I like reading your stories so I follow along. I had to put my two cents in when you bit the dust.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:18 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
@dte

Fingers crossed.

Hey.. this is exiting isn't it. I guess I'd be a founder member eh?
Ground floor, baby, ground floor!

You might want to cross your toes, too. This is going to be a close call either way.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:47 am
corwin

I certainly support the idea of an X2 forum. Don't worry CM, we'll drag you in eventually. Resistance is USELESS!!!!

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:22 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Resistance is USELESS!!!!

Corwin, art thee Borg? Or art thee Vogon?

Badger
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:51 am
corwin

Haha!! Just heard from Myrthos that my PM was number 4 for X2, but the moderators would decide. Pity Jaz isn't around for that vote; I think she might like the game. Now we wait!!

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:04 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2