View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Game running issues, please help!!!

Hi all,

I have a new computer that I just set up. Brand new, made yesterday specifically for gaming. high tech, etc..

I downloaded NWN and all expansions and it runs so very slow and choppy! It starts off very swift but as I get to the 'create character' icons it just starts to get choppy.

Any advise you can give me?

Thanks!

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I assume you've patched the game and updated your drivers for your video card, right? What are your system specs? Are you turning off all other software (virus checker, etc) before starting the game?
Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:33 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Ok, well the specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 processor 2800+

1.84 Ghz, 1.00 GB RAM

Running:

XP home
Nvidia Gforce FX

I haven't updated the vid card as I just got the machine yesterday and it was put together a few days ago.

As far as patches go, do you mean the auto update? If so then yes, I did. Should I just buy the platinum edition and start over?

Could it have anything to do with loading the game? During install I was asked to choose a texture size or something: 16 MB, 32 MB or 64 MB. My computer automatically chose 64 MB but I encountered an install issue when I used their advice. I then chose the option to install all three sizes.

In the mean time I am going to uninstall and try again. But it makes me worry a bit.

BTW: *waves* Hi Val.

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:42 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Have you updated ALL the drivers your PC uses? The ones that come with the hardware, are often out of date. Check if you have a faulty RAM stick. Install and run progs like adaware.

Yes, I'd also suggest re-installing the game. Were other games/progs running ok? Check that out, to see if it's a PC fault, rather than a NWN fault. With a new PC, I'd really suspect hardware failure (often happens early) or driver problems. Best of luck.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:35 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Well, the drivers seem to be ok. There are no updates and all is current.

All other games are running fast and smoothly so I believe it is a NWN issue only. Odd too because it runs fine on my other computer. Same disks.

I removed and re-installed NWN but only the first part without expansions and it is extremely choppy. I really don't understand. The game I had issues with on my other computer was Gothic II. It runs that game quite smoothly. I am finally able to play and finish it. I've had it for so long.

Anyway, I dunno what to do. Any other thoughts?

BTW, what would adaware do? The computer is new and there are no pop-up issues or spam issues?

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:42 am
corwin

Believe it or not, some commercial software actually puts spam/pop-up programs on your PC as part of their install routine. Some of them cause choppy slow play.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:43 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

T, what did you set the game option resolution to? When I got my new graphics card, it set it on what the card would do, but I had to set it lower in the game options to get rid of the choppy stuff I was having.

Check the sound as well, and lower the options a bit and then try it out. I would do the resolution first, and then play with the sound second......start with the lowest resolution and if the problem is gone, go up a notch etc.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:58 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Sound. I've had serious issues with sound before .. that totally effect game play. I believe it was Morrowind (but it might've been Gothic 2), but the 3d sound was causing all kinds of issues so I had to access the directX set ups and disable the 3d sound ... then everything ran as smoothly as cream.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:18 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Could be a number of things. Turn down all your video game settings: Turn off shiny water, fast grass, enviormental creature mapping, antialiasing. You could also take a look at the tech support forum at Bio:
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=252714&forum=49&sp=0
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:45 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thanks for everything!

It took me this long to figure it out and it proved you guys were right and I was not! I used Windows XP to fix the drivers. When none showed up I did it manually, or so I thought. It still didn't work after that so I gave up. Well! I was installing Doom 3 and THAT game didn't work either. D3 has a patch though so I go to their website and it gives me web addresses for video cards and things I need to run the game right. It took me straight to the Nvidia website I needed to DL the update. Whe I got D3 to work I went back to NWN and low and behold it worked! I have shiny water and superior performance on everything! WooHoo!

Wow! The shiny water feature just rocks! I didin't know what I was missing without it!

Thanks again you guys! My hubby and I will see you in a game real soon! (I have cable modem now too.)

Loves ~T

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Good to hear, T.
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:00 pm