The Great Plug-in Debate
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
BartulaPrime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Great Plug-in Debate

Okay, I know the question has been asked, but the replies have been in a general sense. So, I thought about trying to ask the question for a more specific answer on which plug-ins to use.

I've bought Tribunal, so I thought I would take another try at Morrowind since I put it down due to my older PC, initial problems, journal, etc.

As time has passed, I've discovered that there a ton of plug-ins out there, and it's difficult to know the ones worth your time and are stable.

So, to help with the suggestions of which ones I should choose, I will explain the type of experience I'm looking for in categories:

Functionality: Anything that corrects design issues (i.e. Merchants lacking enough gold to buy your items)

Atmosphere: Something that enhances mood, such as sounds or interesting hangouts.

Difficulty: I hate a game that allows me to become too powerful in the first day or two of playing. I know there are plug-ins that adjust difficulty, but there are quite a few. I'm looking for one that does the best job of ramping difficulty to my level.

Character: Anything that possibly aids the character in terms of role-playing. For instance, I've seen a mod that allows your off-hand to parry.

And, finally, to tie it all together, mods that work well together.

So, I appreciate any feedback since I'm really looking forward to starting the game again, but I would like to enhance the experience as much as possible with the great mods that I know are out there.

Thank You.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:46 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

First of all, all mods I mention can be gotten from www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind

Functionality: Dont give merchants more money, trust me. Tribunal already adds merchants with 10.000 gold, and more is just silly. Daedric items shouldnt be sold anyway. However, you could try the Bank Mod. This will add a bank, where you can loan, deposit money, or even purchase one or more houses. You'll earn interest, so that should solve your economy problem.

Athmosphere: Get Athmospheric Sound Effects. Simply mind-blowing, hundreds of sound points added, a must have. Also get 'Travelling merchants', which will add scripted npcs travelling the roads. Try Chapels, fun little mod that add chapels to some villages.

Difficulty: Simple. Get GIANTS and Creature Pack. Espescially for 50+ characters this game will be interesting again.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 9:26 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Here is what i had read & remember about many interesting plug-ins, but i didn't try them all (too many & retired from playing the game). If we totalling all the plug-ins that ever released for MW, it could be around 2,000 plug-ins. I think some early made plug-ins already disappear months ago when certain individual webpages or fan sites close down. Just Look out & search on Euro Morrowind, Morrowind Summit, Adrien's Chalice, The UnforgottenRealms, TheLlys, etc.

Functionality
-------------

There are many aspects on this:
1) travelling gears - bed roll for sleeping (you can carry it around), portable fire camp, special torch/latern that last longer, movable boats, Flying Carpet....

2) house - portable/movable house (private mobile base), "your Vivec residence," "A good place to stay," "Zelda Estate" (& it add-on, Zelda basement), "Caldera Manor"....

3) money - Updated Balmora Stock Exchange, Bank Mod 2.1,

character
-------------

1) additional combat moves (by GhanBuriGhan), Advanced Combat plugin by Adul, Wakim's Game Improvements (look out for Modular version because it let you choose aspects that you to modify, like combat AI, combat abilities),

2) Character's physical modifications - RheddHeads (new player faces), and new NPCs face by several people, & also couple pug-ins that modify character's body texture & outlook.

2) additional NPcs dialogs, reactions, quests - there are several mods, include RolePlayer's mod by La'Shae.

3) New armors, cltohes, wizard hats - like Neuman's Black Leather II, Morrowind Kilts by Dave Gallop, etc.

Many more great mods available but impossible to mention them all here. You have to spend many hours track them down.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 11:38 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

How about that old standby, "fastwalk"? Walking is so darned slow- this mod doubles (IIRC) your movement rate for walking and running.

Another one I like is "fair magica regeneration", which allows you to recharge your mana without sleeping. It has four different base rates, all of which are controlled by player stats. By picking one of the slower rates, it doesn't unbalance the game, IMO, and allows you not to have to stop nearly as often.

If you want a loaded merchant, "Zed the merchant" will do, although he's VERY unbalancing if not used carefully.

For a house, I like "House D'Orthay". It has all the usual highlights and includes a bit of a story to go with it. It has teleporters, but you have to retrieve a "key" from each target location before they will work.

"Lilarcor the Sword" imports the talking sword from BG2 into the game. The sword is a little overpowered, but not terribly so (it levels up as you use it, which is pretty cool- this allows you to use it thru the entire game). His comments can get a little repetitive, but it does a nice job breaking up the silence.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu May 01, 2003 5:37 pm