View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Chiko
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

About Pirates of the Caribbean Sea

Hi Guys,
Do you know something about the Pirates of the Caribbean Sea?When it is going to be released?The earlier project name was Seadogs II.The guys who has played Seadogs,know that the game is excellent!I'm waiting since 1 year for Seadogs II.But I heard that the project name Seadogs II changed to Pirates of the Caribbean Sea.Also the moive of Pirates of the Caribbean Sea is in Theaters on 9 July.
I have read that the game is going to be released in June.I hope it will be so.Do you have other information for the game and for the release date?I can't wait!!!
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:22 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The release date is 07/01/2003.

For more info: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=136
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:31 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I think it's positively amazing how they took a possibly great game and then willingly subjected it to the Curse of the Movie Game... no game with a movie name ever does astounding commercially, besides shoe ins like lord of the rings (which, incidently , sucked as a computer action game ).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:14 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I completely agree - but perhaps this one will be different. Most other movie franchise games were designed as such from the beginning (arguably just to cash in on the potential, not because they had a good idea for a game). Sea Dogs 2 should have been well into development in it's own right and just a new name slapped on it. My hope is it breaks the mould.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:07 am
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

All indications are that it will break the mould. the movie tie-in was so late in development its impossible it made any real effect. From an itnerview with a Sea Dog- errr Pirates of the Caribbean developer:

quote:

Pete Hines: The story in the game is completely separate from the movie. We didn't intend to mimic the story from the movie at all, and the movie studio and Disney Interactive were fine with that. The game takes place around the same place and time as the film, and there is a bit of crossover between things you'll see in the game storyline and things you'll see in the movie storyline, but again, the stories are completely separate.

Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:22 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Didnīt know Pete Hines works for Akella now. Did he move to Russia?
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:46 am
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Didnīt know Pete Hines works for Akella now. Did he move to Russia?

Ack, you're right. I jumped the gun on that one. I was wondering why that name sounded so un-Russian. Maybe if it was Petro Hineski would sound better! But yeah he works for Bethesda.

interview source:
http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/may03/peterhines/index.shtml
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:06 am
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

well, ,just played Pirate of The carribean for 2 hours.. (PC version) and .. and i feel so sad

the PC version is just and totally a port from the X-Box version : huge text sized, which you scroll with keyboard, huge interface with big, flashy buttons and..to say the last the interface is definitely not suited for mouse. they should'v given a pad with this game, since it's really a pain to play it on a PC. but the most scary is definitely that they DIDn't changed anything for the PC version, let me say, you'r playing at 1204x768 and you feel like playing 640x480 due to oversized interface.

so what the good with this game ? it's beautiful, so damn beautiful... and it's all, there's absolutely nothing better than Sea Dogs 1 except the graphics.

in fact, i thing Pirate Of The Carribean is Sea Dogs 1 ported to X-BOX with a better known name (Disney) and that's all... too bad
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:44 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by billoute
...the PC version is just and totally a port from the X-Box version ...

I can't remember anything about this, but isn't the game originally developed for PC?.

How is the sound, voice acting, controlling ship, fighting going?
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:11 pm
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

as far i know, Pirate of the Caribbean is no other than Sea Dogs 2, initially PC only but in mid-course it has been annoucend on X-BOX and changed its name to Pirate OF the Caribbean (thanks Disney).

voice, music sound, graphics, all is very good and nice done... but more i play this game, more i hate it ... technically, it's near perfect. but everything in this game is crying for console game... the biggest flaw ? controls and interface, some examples :

cons:
- either at 640x480 or 1024x768, font size is so big than you must scroll to read more than 3 lines of text, perfect for TV output but definitely horrible on PC screens.
- dialogues are.. well not only most PNCS always says the same thing, but navigating between different choices is a real pain due to font size and scroll (you can't even scroll with mouse, only keyboard arrows).
- all the game is big sized, menu, buttons everything is perfectly ok for TV output.
- the game don't even let us use mouse wheel, only left or right click
- the most funny : when you want to change the name of your ship, you must use a virtual keyboard on screen to type the name..
- all actions you can made are only available if you are juste in front of an object, and choosing an icon to perform an action can only be done using keys and arrows.
- fighting : i'v just made some fights, but enough to know i hate them... just press guard, and press attack when you can... sucess is just a matter of pressing the right key at the right time... boring.
- naval combat : exactly the same as Sea Dogs.
- freedom : not really, and no you can't land where you want, only at fixed locations...when they'r any. and it definietly not really an RPG, too simple, too linear. you can't choose your name, your country

playing this game make me feels i'm playing a console advenure/action game, but with a keyboard instead of a pad. the mouse is almost useless except for the camera.

but i love this game, because it's Sea Dogs 1 with absolutely wonderful graphics... but that's all, all i was dreaming about Sea Dogs 2 is definitely not here, except graphics. a cruel deception.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:59 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I just got the game today. Somehow the thought of Pirates of the Caribbean sounds pretty neat, you know, pirates, cannons, walking the plank, etc. And of course it is made by Bethesda. I mean, hey, Morrowind is by far one of the best RPGs around. And Redguard wasn't that bad was it? Well, for those of you who know me (I play slowly), I'm not to happy with the game so far. The controls are worse than Gothic 1 were. And it appears that you can't change them either. I accepted a semi-quest to deliver some goods to a someone on a different isle. Well, I can't get out of port. I can't get the ship out of the harbor without being attacked. And of yeah, forget the manual? (actually a little pocketbook). There is no help in the book for controls, talking, fighting, etc. It appears the game was rushed. To me, $50 is too much to pay for this game. It appears to have a very high learning curve.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:27 am
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

as soon as you quit the first time, a french fleet come and capture the isle, and become hostile towards you, ie all ships and the fort surrounding you.
don't stay here, and sail away as soon as you can. i died 2 times before understanding that.

about remapping, you can..but sometimes the game forget what you'v mapped.

another bad point... the 3d map, ther's so much enemies and pirates appearing from nowhere, sailing from an isle to another looks like an arcade game where the point is to avoid to be caught. console gamers will be happy.

just a warning for ppl here, after all i'v told about this game, you may think it's a really bad game.... no, it's a good one but only if you'v never played Sea Dogs 1, and only if you 'r a console owner and don't care about RPG. i'll play this game all the week end, but i'll return it as soon as i can. i want to forget this.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:00 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Max Killen
And of course it is made by Bethesda.

Bethesda didn't made Pirates of the Caribbean Sea. Bethesda is both developer (for certain games like Morrowind) and game publisher for some other game from other developer, like this one. The real developer are Akella.

Questions:

1) On land, you're limited to where you walk to, can't explore whole island but to place that allowed by game, right?

2) No dynamic weather (real time day-night circle), and the cloud on sky are just static background (not moving), is that true?

3) Lack of character customization?
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:30 am
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1 -> you'r right

2 -> during sailing, weather is dynamic..well i'm pretty sure but not 100% since for now i'v never came into a storm when sailing, but only from the 3D map, same system than Sea Dogs 1. Sailing is incredibly beautiful, don't worry about this but if you'r expecting a naval simulation wich could let you sail from isle to isle with the max of realism and meteo hazard, forget about it.

3 -> you can't change anything, except putting exp points in skills, like Sea Dogs 1. you can't even change your name.

EDIT:about dynamic weather, eh you'r right, when sailing sky is just a static image..clouds not moving, i didn't noticed it until now since sailing is most done from 3d map. i fear to discover more and more bad things with time
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:36 am
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hmm there seems to be no PoTC forum where I can post help questions! I got a quest in game whcih involves a town called Greenford. Unfortunately I have no idea where this town is... hopefully one of your eading this forum knows and can help!
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next