My view on Morrowind.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My view on Morrowind.

I am just gonna copy and paste from my website. The only heart I take from is the fact that Daggerfall was disgustingly buggy when it first hit the streets..

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON MORROWIND?

Friday was a joyous day. I was to watch the Spider-Man movie, and pick up the Morrowind Collector's Edition. Spider-Man turned out to be great, while Morrowind turned out to be little more than a stutter fest. I do realize that it is an RPG, and I do not demand massive frames from it. In fact I'd be happy with even 20 FPS, if it was consistent. The problem that I and most other people are having are the stutters. Every 5 seconds the FPS drop from 20 to 0 and then go back up. Now that is extremely annoying, especially if it happens every other minute. I've been discussing this issue with people at RPG DOT and the fans at Morrowind.com. Most people who don't have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 are suffering. In fact some people with even that particular card are having problems! It would have been upsetting had this game been a problem just for gamers with GeForce 2s or Radeon 7500s. The problem is that even people with Radeon 8500's and GeForce 3's are having constant problems.

Right out of the box, it is very hard to recommend this game to anyone who doesn't have a GeForce 3 Ti500 or better. That is very sad for two reasons. Firstly the game does look good, but it doesn't look that good. Even at its best, Morrowind doesn't look like a game requiring anything more than a GeForce 3. Secondly, on the box, the video cards listed under recommended requirements are the GeForce 2 GTS or the Radeon 7500. What the hell is wrong with these people? Those are recommended specs! I mean Dungeon Siege looks fabulous, but it still runs decently on a GeForce 2. This game stutters even on a system with a GeForce 3. This brings me to think that the problem may be other than the video card. Again, the game looks good, but not that good.

As for the gameplay, Morrowind is fabulous. I mean when the game starts, you will be awe struck by the graphics. They are very good, and if you are fortunate enough to have a card supporting pixel shading, you will love the water affects. The game features a great character creation method. There are three choices. You can create a custom class, choose a class, or let the game decide. If you let the game decide you are asked a number of personality questions, which determine what class is suited to you. Like a true RPG, the character design is blended in quite well. You start the game as a prisoner and get awakened by another prisoner asking for your name. The next ten minutes see you getting introduced to some NPCs asking you questions about your race, class and birth sign. Creating a character in this way, makes the gamer feel very immersed in the gaming world.

I've been playing the game for about 15 hours now, and I think the role-playing is brilliant. You can either play the game's storyline or go off on your own. But even when you go off on your own, there are still many stories to experience. The whole open-endedness of this game is amazing. Morrowind is role-playing at its best. This is why it makes me even sadder to think about returning it. Again I don't mind the low frames, I just mind the inconsistency.

I mean imagine looking in one direction, getting about 20-30 FPS, when you decide to turn a bit quickly. Suddenly the frames will drop to 5 FPS making the game stutter like crazy and giving you a headache. The other problem is that from time to time the game lags incredibly when you are going through your inventory! I really hope they patch and fix the problems, so that I can consider picking it up again. I haven't returned the game yet, but I see no acknowledgement from the developers regarding the game's problems. I mean a simple, "We are on it." would do. What is actually more annoying is that the game went through insane delays, just so that it could be bug free. Well the constant crashes, and the screams from many fans with adequate systems means that someone didn't do their job right. A week back I reported on the rumblings from EB about the game's unsolved issues. Well, you know what, the issues are still there. I guess they didn't want to further delay this game, since Never Winter Nights is to be out next month.

Anyway, the superb Que is writing the review for this game. He's blessed with a GeForce Ti 4600, which I may consider picking up at some point. Watch out for his review, right here at All Out Games. Please post your thoughts on this game.

Noman
alloutgames.com
And the game still stutters.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:49 am
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: My view on Morrowind.

quote:
Originally posted by Pugnate

Firstly the game does look good, but it doesn't look that good.

Bullshit. The game is gorgeous.

=GF3ti200=Game playes Great=
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:55 am
Quasimo

quote:
[i]

Right out of the box, it is very hard to recommend this game to anyone who doesn't have a GeForce 3 Ti500 or better.

Hmm, I have a geforce 3 ti 200, Athlon 1.33 w/ 512 ram and it's running great, even in cities. I have some shadows enabled and the view distance a bit more then half (wich I've found to be more then adaquete).
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:05 am

I have a p3 600, 256 ram, win98se, and a gf3 200 and the game runs great for me. I've had no problems at all. My cd is slow so the intro movie skips. It looks good except the water and it plays great.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:11 am

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well, I can understand his point of inconsistency..

I mean, I am no big freak about frame rates..I have a mediocre system, and I'm well aware of it...but, if (when I get the game...) I turn all the options down so that the game runs smoothly, I want it to continue to run at that level...regardless. I hope to establish a minimum acceptable FPS (for me, mind you) in that first town. Rumor has it that's the place to set your graphics options. When that's done, I don't want to have to tweak the game ANY more! I should always stay above that level...whereever that may be... Inconsistencies that he describe (going from 20 down to 0 FPS) would be intolerable....especially if the settings are already turned down (which he doesn't mention..)
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:12 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The landscape graphics are some of the best ever, the cave's with the water in them are gorgeous (if ya have the pixel shading water) and only bad graphic things are the plain character models, their hands look good, but other parts of their body look just kinda old, The armor that you get though makes it look nicer.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:14 am
Evotine
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

He stated that it wasn't running well on his system. He also stated that a lot of people are having the same problems that he is, even with awesome systems. Which are obvious just by reading these boards.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:15 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Same here. Have you read my tips on improving performance? I would have no problems recommending the game someone with a Gf3 Ti 200 either.

Some thing I really don't understand: have you had a look at the forums? So many people with mid range systems are running this game fine - yet you take your own experience as a fact and write some first impressions that totaly neglect that you are a minority woth what you suffered through. At least a sentence like "others are reported to run the game on smaller systems without the problems I experience" would have been fair...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:16 am
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

From what I've read, most people are having the stutter issues.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:38 am
Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Wabbit
quote:

Firstly the game does look good, but it doesn't look that good.

Bullshit. The game is gorgeous.

=GF3ti200=Game playes Great=

What I meant was, that it doesn't look good enough for it to stutter.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:50 am
m0oNiE

Pugnate, I got the same specs as you except I only have 384 mb ram (pc 133) and I'm getting smooth rates. I get 20 + outside, and so far in Balmora my lowest has been 18 fps, which was at night, in the rain, and in the city.

Try updating your radeon drivers to the leaked 6071 (grab them @ www.rage3d.com) . Also if you have a via mainboard chipset, try upgrading to the newest via4in1 drivers.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:51 am

Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Same here. Have you read my tips on improving performance? I would have no problems recommending the game someone with a Gf3 Ti 200 either.

Some thing I really don't understand: have you had a look at the forums? So many people with mid range systems are running this game fine - yet you take your own experience as a fact and write some first impressions that totaly neglect that you are a minority woth what you suffered through. At least a sentence like "others are reported to run the game on smaller systems without the problems I experience" would have been fair...

Fair enough dude, I will make the changes now.

Noman
Alloutgames.com
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:52 am
MamoVaka

People that THINK they are running it fine

Ya know there will always be people who straight up LIE about how well the game runs on their system. There are also people who honestly dont notice the framrates at 10 or below is being anything bad. I have friend who play EQ at GODAWFUL framerates and they dont even notice it when I tell them. It's utterly amazing.

I have a xp1900+ 512 ddr geforce 4 ti4600, pretty high end, and morrowind does the same crap here with me. I look in one direction, 40 fps, then I turn to walk into the city, BANG 9 fps, the hit is extremely annoying and noticeable, and it does a great job of detracting from the gameplay for me, it's like your playing the game through thick mud. HORRIBLE.

The prople that claim it runs just DANDY on a p600 BLAH BLAH BLAH are #1 lying or #2 not noticing it.

Same thing happened with medal of honor, I tested that game on 3 different top end pc's and the frames dropped into the teens on all of them.

Yet there are still people that claim their fps stay at 70 all the time in the game with max detail, these people are called liars.

Morrowind runs like garbage on all top end machines, sure I can make it run well on my pc if I lower the graphics a unreasonable amount, but I agree with the reviewer the game look good, not that GOOD it should bring a geforce 4 4600 to it's knees.

I had to run my pc in turbo mode just so my fps would stay around 11 at lowerst in this game, getting a 3dmark of 10000 STILL gets me fps around 11ish in town, MY GOD what is the problem here BETHESDA?!
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:53 am

Have the system totally defragged.
Kill all process that are non-essential
Update all drives
Remove the 'wrapper'

If it is still the same feel free to blast the game, otherwise...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:56 am

Pugnate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey,

I guess I should be thankful that someone is on my side of the argument, but what the dudes were pointing out was that there are people with lower end systems for who it is running well.

-Noman.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 4:57 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next