Usergroups
Avernum
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Has anybody played the Avernum (or is it Exile?) games from Spiderweb (I think). I've always liked the look of them, but am a bit wary of free download games that you have to pay a registration fee for (i.e. a lot of them are complete drivel). Any comments/advice gratefully accepted.

M.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:54 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Avernum = Exile with a new 3d look. I have played all 3 Exile games and Avernum 1. I can highly recommend these games. They all have a fantastic story, are addictive and each part delivers 100+ hours of great gameplay. But check them out by yourself. the first chapter of these shareware games is always free to play.
The graphics are not top notch, but the user interface is easy to understand. These games are highly nonlinear with lots of quests and riddles. You can compare them with ultima v and vi. All in all an epic rpg-experience.

the programmer Jeff Vogel is a real rpg-dungeon-master

Hx
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:16 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I also loved Avernum. Best shareware RPG I've ever played, and better than a LOT of major commercial games. Unlike most shareware games, nothing is hobbled or disabled in the free version, you get the full gameplay, but only about 1/3 of the map is available. More than enough to see if it's for you or not, probably 20-30 hours of gameplay.

Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:41 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

You can also check out the review Michael C. did for RPGDot, which you can find here

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:18 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

My all time favorite from Spiderweb was Exile III, and I ordered that one and Avernum from Spiderweb, and they were very professional and friendly, and you do have the option of ordering the games on CD for a few dollars more that doesn't require a code, which is what I recommend.

As stated graphics aren't the best, reminiscent of the Ultima series. There is no music. Sound effects are very good. Interface is excellent, with lots of keyboard shortcuts. Automapping is good considering this is an independent game. Lots and lots of exploration, mini dungeons are all over the place, good story. Heck unless you demand superb graphics, I'd check out any of the Exile or Avernum games, or at least keep one on hand for when there are no new releases from the major game companies.

That being said, I wasn't as thrilled with Avernum as I was with the Exile series (I hate the isometric perspective) but all in all Jeff Vogel and Spiderweb software really put out some remarkable games. It's a neat company, and the prices are fair.

Anyway, Exile III is my favorite.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-02-10 09:23 ]
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:13 pm