Usergroups
Gothic English Demo - First Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm eagerly awaiting this game's arrival in stores. I will buy it the day it's released.
Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:03 am
Wraithix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well first off I'm glad I found an English board =) Most of my questions have been answered by just reading other posts.

I must say the game looks awesome. Everything is so detailed. The creatures look down right scary as hell. I really wish I had the full version so I could explore more. Voice acting is great and just adds to whole xp. From reading other posts I have quite a ways to go before I play through this. I still only have the sword I found and no armor. Just found out before going top bed last night how finalize a trade.

Is there a way to have a map that shows where you been (fog of war type thing) or can you only get maps from that one guy that are drawn out?

How do I bring up the journal? Is it the same as checking notes such as Current Missions/Failed Missions?

Don't want to ask to many questions as part of the fun is finding things out yourself. I have a grip of food in my inventory which I guess I will sell so I have some ore to my name and look for a weapon to buy.

Lastly...any word on when this is coming out to the US? I finally have a game to look forward to.

Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 10:03 pm
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

The only maps are the in-game ones, which is pretty cool if you ask me. It makes you pay attention to where you are, and navigate by landmarks!

...and, yes, the journal is the missions dialogue.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:48 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

I love getting a job at the blacksmith's.

Normally, in other RPG games, when you get a job, it seems really tedious. It's usually something stupid like remembering sequences to get a ball in a hole.

What other jobs can you get in the full version?
I only have the Eng demo right now. The XP-Map is great, too.
Post Mon Sep 17, 2001 2:38 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well I have finally been able to play for more than 5 seconds. The game interaction is great, and it seems like there isn't much in the way of restrictions as to which way you go. But the controls are cumbersome as all heck. Want to ready a weapon? Well you have to figure that out. Want to buy or sell items? Well you have to figure that out. Nothing is intuitive. I have probably played for about 2 hours, and I have no doubts that there are still controls that I have not figured out yet. Like how do you kill those little bugs on the ground? I can swing over its bug head all day long and get nowhere!

Post Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:46 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Council Member? And you don't know how to kill the Meatbugs? Awww...

It's like a glitch or something. You have to be very precise when punching, or swinging with a pickaxe at them.

The character doesn't kneel down or anything, so I guess the developers forgot about enemies that are smaller than the player.
Post Mon Sep 17, 2001 12:00 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Hey, you have to ask a lot of ignorant questions to become a council member! Not to mention smart ass replies. I was swooshing around with my sword without any effect. So I was not sure if you could only use certain weapons, or had to do something special. I guess you just have to find the right way to swing or something. I will work on it <:

Post Mon Sep 17, 2001 5:43 pm
Alferd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Don't use a sword to kill meatbugs. Try it with your bare hands ... might be disgusting but it works
Post Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:51 am
Zonk
City Guard
City Guard

And pickaxe works best.
Post Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:08 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I think I sold my pickaxe for 0 ore because I didn't know you had to move the ore into the middle column to make him pay for it. /:

Post Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:24 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2