FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Mulitple Portals?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Mulitple Portals?

HAs anyone ever attempted to use more than one Portal at a time? I know when a caster uses Set Portal, it asks if you want to replace the previous Portal. My friend claims that two different caster can Set two different Portals, and then Return to their own Portals. Has anyone tried this? If he's right, then I may take the spell with my Bishop as well...

Thanks for looking,
Corey
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:35 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes it is possible. One portal for each character (of course if he/she is able to use this spell).
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:42 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I believe anyone, who can cast spells, can set and return to portals. I also believe, that yes if you had more than one spellcaster, each person could have his/her own portal to return to.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:43 pm

SWEET!

Thanks for the info, fellow Wizards!

- Corey
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:45 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Portals

I had 7 characters who all could cast "set" and "return" portal in the late game period. Only my "fighter" wasn't able to cast any spell at all!
With 7 "portal" spells combined with the existing portals, I could cover the entire world in seconds after I had placed my portals in the strategic right places!
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:17 am
kartman-47

books

does anyone ever found/bought a portal book?
I have a "set portal" book, but no "return to portal" one.
should I sell the one I have or hope to find the other?

--
liebe das leben
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:37 pm

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well...if you learn the spell at level up, you learn both of the spells (set and return) with one spell choice. If you use books, you have to have BOTH books to learn both spells. So, knowing that, it's much easier to use the spell choices to learn the spell (or it was for me.) But, if you DO manage to find the other book, you save a spell choice. So, keep looking for the other one...if you don't find it, use a spell choice!
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:42 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

There is return portal spellbooks out there in the world. I can remember at least two places! So keep the book until you got the counter-part!
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:45 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Or if you have the book, read it and use the spell points for other things like, whirlwinds, curing poision for priests; or sonic booms, shrills for mages. (I only have a mage and priest for this current party {the monk and ranger are working on their combat, not spells just yet})
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You'll probably have the "set" book for a while before you find a "return" book. I'd use a spell pick and save the book(s) for a hybrid. You'll find the matching book pretty close to when your hybrids can learn it (IIRC).
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:08 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

So far I have found 3 sets of set portal / return to portal. The set / return books were no where near each other. But in my travels, I always found a set book before a return book.
I have 5 of 6 characters able to cast these spells, and have used 3 of them + Vi (currently not with my party) to speed up my travels. It's a major time saver on travel.
But aside from this, I suggest you set at least one in a relatively safe spot quickly. Sometimes you wander into an area over your head, and need to get out quickly. I was in big trouble in a forbidden area of the Mt. Gigas caves. I won an encounter, but was badly bruised, and was about to get attacked by more... One quick teleport out to the middle of Arnika saved my party's butts - where I was promptly surprised by some Savant types, but at least could easily manage those without anyone getting killed.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:01 am