Usergroups
Crashes on installation!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
unconstitutional
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Quick, why the hell is this crashing during install? Right at the start of the file copying process, the game crashes with the following: "Error Number 0x80004005 Description: Unspecified Error". What CAN i do? i tried typical and compact installs, both crash same way.

I'm on a p2 450, 393 megs ram, windows 2000 sp2, hercules 3d prophet ddr video, tons of free hard drive space. What gives?
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Is DirectX8 installed? Are all other tasks closed?
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:17 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

control alt delete till you have sys and explorer.....only then try to install...then try having the media player 8 and direct x 8 installed...after that, try and install it.....ohhh go to temp and delete everything in there before you install.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:24 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

someone else suggested removing DMA from your drive. Now this seems to be true because I get other problems when using dma. But DMA should be used if you want to see dvd movies and such stuff like that.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:35 pm

If you have more than 512MB ram in your system you may need to add the following line to the [vcache] section of system.ini:

MaxFileCache=524288

That limits the virtual cache to 512MB. It gets confused past that. You can also set the value smaller if desired. Units are in Kilobytes.

I had the same error message and discovered the solution to the problem when I also discovered that I had "insufficient memory" to open the dos-prompt window on a newly booted machine.

-Mary C. in California
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:55 pm

OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Had the same error happen to me, -- Piranha and Xicat were absolutely no help. Pirahna support was non-existent, and Xicat were completely clueless, actually suggesting that I install the Radeon patch BEFORE I could even get the game installed, not to mention that I didn't even have the Radeon or GeForce graphics cards the patch was intended for!

Did some research on my own, discovered that the problem IS a BUG, but not with the Gothic program itself! The bug lies with the InstallShield program that INSTALLS Gothic on your system.

Your system configuration, curiously, did not mention a SOUND CARD, and that is exactly the problem that causes the bug. InstallShield v6.x - v6.22 will abort the install process if it does not detect a sound card in your system. And guess which version is used to install Gothic? InstallShield v6.22. But Piranha is not without blame, since they could have incorporated a 'try-catch' block on the function that caused InstallShield to crap out when called, allowing users without sound cards to install the game. InstallShield themselves have confirmed this bug, and it is supposedly fixed in IS versions released after v6.22.

Ironically, I got the game because I do not have a sound card, and the minimum system requirements listed for Gothic DOES NOT include sound cards. This is obviously erroneous. Once I put in a friend's borrowed sound card and loaded up the drivers for it, voila! Install of Gothic went through without a hitch. Now all I have to do is uninstall the sound drivers and return the card to my friend, and I will have spent a lot of time and hassle figuring out and solving this problem. Thanks, Piranha and InstallShield...NOT!
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:17 pm