Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
would you play this CRPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Would you play Mists of Angra-Mord if i made it?
yes
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
no
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

would you play this CRPG?

I have changed the project and its name. The new project is called Wizard Wars and will feature two spellcasters battling it out with summoned creatures. Look at the current discussion to get the details please.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:08 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Wow! Ammon, listen, it sounds like a dream game for nearly every one of us here. Text-based will certainly do for such a great content.I have no idea, though, how much time the making of this beauty could take. A year? Three? You're on your own on this one, are you sure you can handle it? Maybe you could even use some help? Could you provide more details about the interface, if you thought about it already?

But anyhow, you got your positive answer #1.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:05 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Thanks for the reply!

I will work on it part-time, since i am an avid CRPG player myself and i want my own fun CRPG play time. Since it will be a part-time project, i think it should take maybe three or four years or so. I believe that www.fileplanet.com will accept it for a download there, since there are a few other text-based games available there, and you can submit any file that is < 200mb to them. This game might be 200mb due to data volume, but i doubt any larger. Since it is text-based, i dont have to worry about stuff like graphics sprites, sound files, and expensive developer programs. That certainly will cut down the time to develop it by 90%. So, since i will probably be just doing it part time, it might only take a year to make. I sure hope so. Although i will be fine if it takes even five years. I dont care, just as long as everything makes it into the game. It might even become very popular since its free.

Yes, of course, i can handle it. I know C++ very well, since i have studied it for many years at the university. I also am very versed / educated in artificial intelligence: i once wrote an 80-page essay on the subject (got an A for that one, at the university). I will be buying a few A.I. books for the task, and i will be using an older compiler for the job, but it works. I'm fully confident that i have the ability. I dont work, so i have plenty of time too.

The interface will consist of the arrow-keys for menu guidance, and also keyboard keys for quick commands. During combat and adventuring, movement commands will consist of the keypad and certain commands will use the keyboard keys. I think also that i will have the arrow keys used for commands during that as well. We'll see, but that should be the plan.

Btw, the game works on my Windows XP system, so no worries there.

EDIT -- Also, the program will require a fairly high-end computer. Most people here will likely have enough RAM and Hertz for the application. Its very data-intensive so it requires a lot of computational power. Imagine a thousand things going on in one world area at once, and you will have an idea of how many computer resources this is going to require. Luckily, i have a four thousand dollar computer to work with it on -- the best you can possibly buy right now.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:37 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

count me in!
id play that game for sure ... sounds great ...

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:39 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Count me in!
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:18 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

all of this has changed. see below this post for details.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:25 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Hei, Ammon! If you need and don't mind using some external assistance I will gladly help you. I always wanted to try myself in smth like game design and I feel like it is a good chance to do it. I don't understand a thing about programming but I consider myself to be a pretty good writer. I spent three years studying philology (Russian language). I have a background in religious studies and mythology - could be useful, huh? My current occupation is law and probably it will not help As you see English is not my native language, but if you can read me probably you also can edit a bit things I'm about to write for your game So if you need some sort of game-designer-guy...

And oh yes, my PC totally sucks and about 3 times cheaper than yours, but I still can run Word and Internet Explorer in a pretty efficient way

BTW your character races list is most impressive.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:30 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I wont be needed any help on this, since the project status has changed from insurmountable to possible.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:16 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Actually, instead of that could you please check your email. I sent a message to the email address that is listed under your rpgdot profile.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:44 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sounds intriguing. I'm not a fan of some of the proposed features, such as the traditional high fantasy setting and the player created party, but there are more than enough promising features to offset these niggles. I'll give it a go, as long as the download size isn't too large (I've got a pretty slow connection).

BTW, don't just rely on these boards to gauge interest, since not all RPGers frequent them, and many who do, lurk.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:04 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Note taken. Eventually the project will have an official release and everybody will be downloading it from fileplanet (or elsewhere) for free. Until then i doubt it will have much exposure to the community unless a real newsbit was done on it somewhere like rpgdot, but i wont ask rpgdot to do it until i have a demo on my hands that they can see, which should be in about a year. Until then, i will just update this thread and hope that it continues to get a certain amount of attention from potential players. Also, eventually, with a project this size, i will be asking the community for beta testers. That wont come in a while though. But it might happen a lot sooner than i estimate. Maybe then i could get the project some exposure with a news topic here asking for testers. In any case, i will be posting info here.

Also, regarding the player created party: the first three characters arent created by the player, they are custom-made for the campaign, and all the others are additions. The first character is named Ammon -- he is the main character and rumored to be the "Prophesied One." And then the second and third characters are Val, a human warrior prodigy, friend to Ammon, and then Ithdalin, who is an elder elven spellcaster. So you can start the game immediately with these three characters without ever having to make a new character and an entire party. On the other hand, you could create an entire from scratch (except for the first three PCs) at the beginning. Creatures and NPCs (like hirelings, mercenaries, aquaintences, ect) will be willing to join your party, and they are pre-developed with the Simulacrum.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:42 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

project has changed. see below.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:27 am
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm sorry to hear that.

Here's a suggestion: If you've got a good story/gameworld idea (and it sounds like you have, from the depth of your responses), you could implement it as one or more Neverwinter Nights modules. Sure, you would have to compromise with some of your intended features, but it would be a lot quicker than building from scratch, and NWN has quite a flexible C-like scripting system for you to try out some of your AI ideas. It would also likely reach a wider audience - the more popular modules get tens of thousands of downloads.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:21 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

project has changed. see below.

Last edited by Ammon777 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:58 pm
Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Your project seems very interesting, I am not sure how you plan to do all this but have you considered not adding
every features that you want at the beginning.

It seems to me that you have a lot of ideas, in fact maybe too much!

You should really start coding and implementing a fractions of your features list and add the rest in subsequent
version of your game. You better have 10% of your features working fine than 75% unfinished and unusable code.

Anyway... give us some feedback of how it's going.

azkiel
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next