RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Do you buy MAXIMUM PC magazine?
Yes, but only for the demo CD.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but also for the reading.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
No, I don't play demos before buying games.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
No, I just download demos.
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Do you play game demos from MAXIMUM PC?

I'm just curious how many people from RPGDOT get MAXIMUM PC magazine for it's demos. The magazine comes with a CD every month with the latest and hottest PC game demos on it. (I think it only has demos for American games, otherwise it would have to have Gothic 2 demo too! ) I get the magazine mostly for the demo CD. It's a really fun way of finding games worth paying for.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:00 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Don't even know the magazine

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:58 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Neither do I.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:06 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The only American magazine I read is Play. Its an excellent magazine but doesnt have any demo CD. Every other American Computer Games magazine I have read is pretty pathetic. (Sorry if anyone finds that insulting, but its my oppinion.)

Demo CD's are pretty much useless nowadays considering the demo is on the internet for download literaly two months before the magazines ever get it.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:21 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Downloading for the demos. Sometimes I get a demo CD with the magazine I read.(Netwerk) But mostly the game demos are neither worth looking(It happens) or are already been downloaded(most of the time).
Luckily for me the Demo CD contains lots of other stuff, so it's definately worth buying the magazine.
NFG member
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:17 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I guess I could spend hour after hour downloading random demos, but I prefer just trying the demos from the magazine. I trust MAXIMUM PC magazine to put the best game demos on its CD. If not for this CD, I would probably end up spending hours trying demos that aren't even worth it. I guess I prefer leaving the "guess work" to MAXIMUM PC. In other words, I wouldn't know what demos to try without doing time-consuming research. This magazine does the research for me, and puts all the good ones on its CD. (All except for foreign games.) For example, the odds of my downloading the Freelancer demo were slim to none, as the title alone doesn't really spark any interest in me.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:30 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Never heard of.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:07 am
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

well considering demos come out super late in magazine compared to the internet.. I havent bought a pc magazine since i got cable ... maximum pc kinda blew compared to the biased opinions in pc gamer ...

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:14 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
I guess I prefer leaving the "guess work" to MAXIMUM PC.

There isnt really any guess work. 99.9% of the time I can tell if I will like a game by seeing a couple of screenshots. So I just download the ones I like the look of, and 99% of the time I am right.

Apart from that, we are on one of the best RPG sites on the internet, if news comes up of a game and they say it looks good, then I will try it.

Also, Maximum PC arent the "Be all and end all" of computer game critics. There are plenty of demos out there that no magazine has ever had on its Demo CD that are excellent. Dont forget, they cater to the masses, not a particular taste.

Magazines here seem to have 95% crap on the CD's (PC Gamer in the UK was quite good with their DVD's but their DVD was still probably 70% crap). Thats one of the main reasons I buy Play and not any other magazine, because it actually has interesting articles and amazing artwork in there.

Everything else I have tried is sadly lacking in all departments...
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:45 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
PC Gamer in the UK was quite good with their DVD's but their DVD was still probably 70% crap.

That's the one I read, you know, that one where the most anticpated games get 100% and then have points deducted for things the reviewer didn't like . My dad had a few nasty experiences with demos and has forbade me from installing any on the new pc . If I wan't to find out about a game I have to search the net for reviews and previews, or if I'm realy desperate, install it on a friends computer.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:55 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yeah, I try to avoid demos most of the time. They do tend to cause chaos on your computer.

I loved it when they had the coming soon section on the DVD where they used to have loads of movies of upcoming games. Then all of a sudden they just stopped doing it. That really sucked.

I think PCGamer UK and PCZone were both very good magazines. I used to buy them religously. Its a shame the stuff over here isnt of the same quality. I really miss a good read...
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:16 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Man
My dad had a few nasty experiences with demos and has forbade me from installing any on the new pc .

That is part of the reason I don't download demos. The only way to be sure there isn't a virus attached to it is to do a time-consuming virus scan of the file before downloading it. Demos from a MAXIMUM PC magazine won't have viruses on it.

Does the English PC Gamer magazine come with a demo cd also? Is Play an English magazine? I've never heard of Play magazine before.

If looking at screen shots is enough for you to decide whether or not you'll like a game, then you must not be nearly as picky as me. I can't judge a game by its screen shots. [/i]

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:49 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I can tell from the screenshots most of the time, but I have made mistakes.

Play is American. They cover all systems + Movies, Music & Anime.

PC Gamer does have a Demo CD or a much better DVD version.
PC Zone is also another excellent UK Magazine.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:11 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I haven't bought a PC magazine in years. I'd rather the up-to-the-minute nature of the web over the 2-month delay from print. Most good games, even the obscure projects that fly beneath the radar, generate a bit of "buzz" on the net so I don't think it's too hard knowing what games to keep an eye on and download a demo for.

Maybe MAXIMUM are missing games you might like? You might never know...
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:39 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Maybe MAXIMUM are missing games you might like? You might never know...

It's very likely. Perhaps you could make some suggestions?

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:50 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next