Usergroups
Random encounters are kind of annoying
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I know the random encounters are absolutely vital to leveling one's characters, but I find them tedious sometimes when I'm trying to get from one place to another. I didn't notice that tedium in BG, BGII, Fallout or many of the other RPG's..I mean, it's fun, but sometimes when trying to walk from say the T'Rang to the Umpani base, I don't feel like fighting 80 million acidvines along the way...
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:54 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Use your radar to spot enemies before they get to close, and use the "run" facility. It's absolute possible to get from one place to another without any fights at all, or at least very very few fights!
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Madglee:
I had same problem before I asked here about it few months ago. After some hints they gave me, I was able to travel from place to place without battles.
There are several possibilities how to do that:
- Michael is right and it was his advice for me sometime ago, use radar and run quickly
- use X-Ray spell, it reveals position of every creature and once casted, this spell is functional for many turns

*** these other possibilies can contain some minor spoilers (and you wrote about "no spoilers in other post, so do not read it if you do not want to)***

- you can - relatively early in game - start to use system of teleports
- you can use combination of spells set portal and return to portal

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-26 11:23 ]
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:18 pm
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Thanks guys, perhaps my absence of a ranger in the party is contributing to my radar not being the best. I'll learn the x-ray spell next and hopefully get to those teleports soon
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:44 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Don't travel directly on the road, but up in the bushes. The monsters almost always start up directly on the road, so you got better time to avoid them.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:30 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Michael: I try to do that, but a lot of the time the bushes are really close to the road and it starts combat anyway. But I'm getting better. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, sometimes in narrow coridors you must wait or fight
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:32 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Having a ranger with high scouting and senses skills makes avoiding monsters pretty easy, at least when traveling overland.

I also found that the game at times throws you battle after battle after battle, then other times it seems to give you a break for a while.

The easiest way to avoid monsters is to train 2 characters in Create Portal and Return to Portal (effectively giving you 2 portal locales).

I wont give any hints, but if you have those 2 characters 'set' their individual portals in strategic places, you can essentially eliminate 'road' travel almost completely, thus avoiding nonstop combat, although this mainly centers around Arnika/Umpani/Trynton/Marten's Bluff areas. The way I have my portals set now, I can get from one to any of the others in less than 3 or 4 minutes, however traveling in the outlying areas is a little more time consuming...

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-03-01 03:34 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:27 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Using the spell X-ray can also help you reveal the camouflaged creatures earlier.

I agree on the set/return portal spells. I had 7 characters in the end able to cast those spells. (see "How can you tell when a magic-using character will reach a certain spell level?" tread for details)
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:51 am
Vox Clamant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mad...
A little different twist on your question. Especially when you can't avoid the battle, you can turn it to your advantage. The key is MC's comment about walking up on the ledges and in the bushes above the road, plus W8's "blocky" graphics. Keep track of all the many "wedges" in the side of hills, etc. When the baddies approach, BACK into the crevice, reform your party, and even facing a horde of Juggernauts you end up dealing with just one at a time. With a good formation, all your party can hit them, but only one of them can hit you at a time. Your mage and priest keep control. Later in the game, when your mage has a persistent spell like firestorm, cast it early and watch the rest of the enemies slowly burn to death as they wait in line for their turn to fight you! (Especially good with Valkeries on the flank with looooong polearms.
Just a thought -- it works to help build up EPs.

[ This Message was edited by: Vox Clamant on 2002-03-11 21:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Vox Clamant on 2002-03-12 11:26 ]
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:43 am