Usergroups
Dungeon Lords (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

pretty clever review there. I think the entire game is summed up in the following comment you wrote within it:

It has some of the best dungeons I’ve ever been through, and the combat is truly thrilling. But there are many, many problems, and several areas I find very disappointing. It isn’t a 2/10 game, in my opinion, but it is not an 8/10 game either.

To be honest, I was one of the people who, after playing the demo, held fast to the belief that it wasn't going to be that way in the final release. I stuck up for the game even after its less-then-spectacular debut and put my faith in HP's patch. Well, after 3 patches, they didn't complete the game, so you can imagine what my opinion became then. I went from optimistic defender to disappointed realist.

It's a shame too, since I really loved DWB's earlier game, Wizards & Warriors.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:15 pm
SleepingDog
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

To buy or not to buy?

Having looked at the Forum here and the voting for the game it appears that two games exist. One that rates 8 to 10 out of 10 and another which is 1 to 3 out of ten. Why so extreme?

I tried the Demo. I thought releasing a demo was an attempt to entice people to buy - you know- try and see how good it is. Reading the blurb it appears that most of the useful features didn't work (which was nicely hidden in a readme file). It kept me amused for a while but my character was being bushwacked every 10 steps in the dark! That is just boring.

Will the full game and patches make it any better? Probably - but enough to part with my cash? - hmmm. Perhaps they ought to release a decent demo and then maybe I'll buy if it's any good.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'm too busy putting on my shoes to go out the door to buy Oblivion. Re-buying Dungeon Lords is NOT written down on the list for my shopping trip to EB games.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:50 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I'm too busy putting on my shoes to go out the door to buy Oblivion. Re-buying Dungeon Lords is NOT written down on the list for my shopping trip to EB games.

That is the biggest shame - because Dungeon Lords CE is *the* DL to have, and is a pretty decent game for what it is. The shame is that it was attractive to many of us who bought the original and dealt with the patches, and are now expected to pay *another* $40 to get the game we were originally promised ... in a pretty tin?

Oblivion is clearly worth $50, Dungeon Lords CE might not be bad for $40, but is certainly *NOT* worth $80!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:15 pm
elmroth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I recommend trying the collector's edition demo, I found it exciting and rewarding. Still I can't understand why they published the original demo, but all the problems I saw in that demo they have solved i the collector's edition.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:59 am

I recommend taking a big smelly crap in the box then returning it.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 3:23 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I recommend taking a big smelly crap in the box then returning it.

Problem is - the original game box is too small, and the Collector's Edition is a metal case with no room whatsoever ... maybe just 'finger paint'.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 2:06 pm

The original box you just gotta squeeze it open then let er rip but the metal case sounds painful and could cause a problem and a rash.
Post Sat May 13, 2006 4:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3