Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
POLL: Which RPG style do you like the best?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Which RPG style do you like the best?
1st person single player (Daggerfall)
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
1st person party (Wizardry)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
3rd person chase-cam (Gothic)
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
3rd person isometric (Baldurs Gate)
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

POLL: Which RPG style do you like the best?

Now this is between 1st person single player view (Daggerfall?), 1st person view with a party (Wizardry series), 3rd person single-player chase cam (Gothic), 3rd person isometric with single or multiple characters (Baldurs Gate).

Note that you can take everything in account for your decision, whether it be the aesthetics, the strategic implications, or whatever. I'm just curious

Now what might be cool would be a 3rd person rotatable 3D world view, with multiple characters doing their thing like in an RTS, except that it would have fewer characters (just normal party sized), and could be turn-based. That would be really cool (essentially a 3D version of baldurs' gate). I guess I'm a tactically oriented RPG player, and I'd like complete freedom in positioning my party coupled with a 3D world. And there would of course be a fog of war type thing, so that you would not get an omniescient look at the map... Just a dream, so far, but it could happen sometime soon (the game engines are already in place, it would just be implementing for RPG).

- Windwalking
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Since the biggest factor for enjoying an RPG (for me) is character development, followed by story, I don't put much value on the small-group tactics. I think, to some extent, your question might really hinge on what feature of RPGs the voter likes. The small-group tactics folks (like you) will probably favor the 3rd person iso, since, as you say, it's probably the best view for controlling individuals within a group. Since combat is secondary to development for me, I prefer the immersion of first person view, and since 6 characters to nurture is more than 1, that leads to my vote of first person party. Since I've only tinkered with the Gothic demo a little, I've got to admit that I'm probably uninformed on that choice, but I guess (based on that limited experience) I didn't care for the added complication of keeping the camera controlled in addition to controlling my character.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:23 am
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

I personally like 3rd person view the best, although 1st person view might sometimes be benefitial. It's just because I think 3rd person enables you to employ your tactics better, especially when controlling multiple characters. I know that such a game like Wizardry 8 is using the 1st person view system, but in that game, characters take turn to attack, so there need not be so much strategy employed per turn, and thus 3rd person view is not necessarily required. But for games without turns, I think a 3rd person view system will serve better.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:49 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Isometric for most RPGs.

However, with different games you'll need a different view. Example, if I only have one character to worry about and it's 3d then I really like the over the shoulder view of Gothic.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:41 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Since the biggest factor for enjoying an RPG (for me) is character development, followed by story, I don't put much value on the small-group tactics. I think, to some extent, your question might really hinge on what feature of RPGs the voter likes. The small-group tactics folks (like you) will probably favor the 3rd person iso, since, as you say, it's probably the best view for controlling individuals within a group. Since combat is secondary to development for me, I prefer the immersion of first person view, and since 6 characters to nurture is more than 1, that leads to my vote of first person party. Since I've only tinkered with the Gothic demo a little, I've got to admit that I'm probably uninformed on that choice, but I guess (based on that limited experience) I didn't care for the added complication of keeping the camera controlled in addition to controlling my character.

Heh, you don't have to worry about camera control that much in Gothic; it is mostly a keyboard driven game, and I would touch the mouse maybe once or twice in a 2-hour gaming session. I would heartily recommend getting the game, as the immersion in the game world is more impressive than most other games I've played (though it still has its flaws, of course).

And about your main point, you're probably right; this poll only scratches at the surface of the deeper issue, which is what you're really looking for in a game. For some, the viewstyle may not be as big a factor, esp. if their main concern is story and interaction (which can happen with any of the four styles mentioned). But maybe for a later poll

- Wind
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:48 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

...generally I prefer 1st person, no party. But I'm willing to make exceptions.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:00 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I agree with Val. I like the isometric view when dealing with a large party, but a more first person view is just fine for single character games.

THis is at odds with my love of Might and Magic 4-7, but they have their own special feel.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:10 pm
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

I like both the party/first person view style (wizardry 8 )
and the party/chase cam sytle (NWN)
and a perfect game for the latter would be like NWN but with 4 completly player controlled chars and with autopause (like BG and IWD)

I like first person style best because you feel like you ARE in the fantasy world and see through your character's eyes

chase-cam is also good 'cause it's more dynamic and you have a better orientation and can see your party members

but isometric style with no camera swings and zoom is a little too static for me.. in BG and IWD the prerendered sets also look very much "fake" and not lively

I prefer party over single character because you must use tatics and you can have differents classes in your party. the only downside of a party is more micromanagement, but in f.exp in Wizardry with the party inventory it was easy
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:10 pm