Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Best adventure game ever? Top 5 list....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Best adventure game ever? Top 5 list....

Just interested to see what people think is the best adventrue game ever. This is closely linked to rpg, as brokensword series that I class as adventure games are commonly refered to as rpg, and even included on this site.

The best games I have ever played are the first 2 brokensword game (i've completed the 3rd as well, but thought it wasn;t half as good as the first 2) and perhaps monnkey island 3.

Grim fandango seems to be widely aclaimed as the best adventure game ever made by a long, long, long way, but what do other people think?

My top 5 would be

1. Broken sword shadow of the templars
2.Broken sword 2 (smoking mirror)
3.Flashback
4.Monkey island 3
5.Cruise for a corpse/ Indiana jones

What are other peoples top 5 choices( if you have played enough for a top 10 then that would be even better)
Post Sat May 01, 2004 4:33 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ain't this on the wrong board?

as you can see: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83290

...Nocturne is the best adventure game ever.

don't know why you say Grim Fandango has the most acclaim. i heard that Grim Fandango was a major flop; hardly selling any copies at all.

there are plenty of other games better than Grim Fandango, ie:

2. Fate of Atlantis
3. King's Quest VI
4. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
5. Day of the Tentacle
6. Sam & Max
7. Inca 2
8. Ringworld
9. Means Streets f/ Tex Murphy
10. Under a Killing Moon f/ Tex Murphy
11. The Pandora Directive f/ Tex Murphy
12. Overseer f/ Tex Murphy
13. Return to Zork
14. Gobliins
15. Gobliins 2
16. Gobliins 3
17. the 7th Guest
18. the 11th Hour

...the list goes on and on. those are just what i've come up with off the top of my head in 5 minutes. all those are much better than Grim Fandango
Post Sat May 01, 2004 5:51 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the list
it,s just that reveiws i have read always give grim fandango a very high score. Even at hom of the underdog it receives a score of about 9.67 out of 10, with the 2nd place game getting about 9.17.

Perhaps the post is in the long thread
, but i thought that the question could be related to rpgs, in particular what rpg fans (like myself) find as the best adventure game.

As for your list I will gon'd have a look at some of them.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 6:07 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

that is actually a good idea. not many people have been responding to my rabid Nocturne fanboy plugging when i made that thread on the Adventure games board. these boards used to be A LOT more active when i first registered. i wonder where everyone went?

if i knew the Adventure board was so inactive at the time when i made that thread then i would have put it on this board instead. but thx to you i got my Nocturne plugs in this board too where the most people on this site have the chance to see it, so thx for the opportunity
Post Sat May 01, 2004 7:49 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Adventure Games forum was created only a short time ago. It's little hard for it to be dead in it's infancy.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 7:30 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The problem of the adventure forum is that people talk about everything but adventures in it (Nocturne for example is probably a good game, but itīs definitely no adventure in the classic sense) and if there is a thread about adventures itīs posted in the wrong forum.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:57 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
The problem of the adventure forum is that people talk about everything but adventures in it (Nocturne for example is probably a good game, but itīs definitely no adventure in the classic sense) and if there is a thread about adventures itīs posted in the wrong forum.

that my friend is one of the biggest understatements ever. Nocturne is a brilliant game. i know you share my good taste because you took your member name here from the best game ever made which is Betrayal at Krondor.

tell me why Nocturne is not an adventure game? i am willing to debate this with you.

yes it has action and you shoot guns and kill the undead. but i submit that those things alone do not de-value it as an adventure game. it has all the elements of an adventure game IN ADDITION TO action elements which make it the perfect blend of action and adventure

to prove this point i quote now from the end of the Adrenaline Vault review, which i have linked to in that other thread for anyone who wants to read the full thing:

"The designers in turn created a beautiful world brimming with atmosphere, and developed an accessible action-oriented approach to adventure, placing a solid game on top of the great graphics. [silly statement made by the Reviewer here that was orginally bridging these statements has been edited-out by me, Navaros] Regardless, action and adventure fans with the machine to power this thing should give it a turn; it offers an experience that is both unique and fun, two words that are not paired all that often in gaming."
Post Wed May 05, 2004 5:18 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I think Day of the Tentacle was incredible. The second Monkey Island game was good as well. I enjoyed Darkseed and the first 2 Alone in the Dark games. One of the most underrated was a game called Sanitarium, which I think was done by Dreamforge Entertainment, who had a slew good CRPG's in the 90's. Another one that comes to mind is Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within.

I'd say my all time favorite 3 are Day of the Tentacle, Sanitarium and Gabriel Knight 2.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 5:36 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My favorite graphic adventures (action/adventures included):

-Realms of the Haunting
-Zork: Nemesis
-Zork: Inquisitor
-Kyrandia 2
-Kyrandia 3
Post Mon May 24, 2004 9:27 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

- The Longest Journey
- Gabriel Knight Series
- Fandango
- Indiana Jones Series
- Runaway
Post Mon May 24, 2004 10:09 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Classic adventures:
- Loom
- Broken sword series
- Indidana jones fate of atlantis

But the best game I played that I consider an (action) adventure was Outcast. Just loved it. Its almost a RPG, minus the character development.
Post Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 pm