Problem with Henry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Problem with Henry

Henry at the entrance to the Pirate's Camp sends me off to Owen about a shipment of wood.

I go to Owen. Owen won't do anything about the wood shipment until I find out what happened to his friend after his friend and a lurker fell down a hole.

I jump down the hole and find two lurkers eating owen's friend. I kill the lurkers and head back up to Owen to tell him the bad news.

Owen then tells me to tell Henry that he'll bring the wood soon.

I go to tell Henry this but when I try to talk to Henry all he says is, 'go away' and there are no dialog options at all.

Did I do something wrong? Is this a bug? If so is there a work around? Thanks!
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:09 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

If I remember right, the only time he has told me to "go away" is after I kicked his ass. Did you beat him up after getting the wood quest? If you did, give oblivion scroll a try and see what happens. If you did'nt....I can't think of any reason it would be happening.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:30 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

If he refuses to talk with you, you've obviously done something you shouldn't have. In most cases that has nothing to do with the quest, but with, like Uriziel said, attacking him or trying to pickpocket him etc.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:42 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I had this bug once, where exactly this happened. I didn't do anything.
Somehow, when I came back later, Henry was friendly as usual. IIRC.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:01 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

*some minor spoilage*

Thanks to all those who replied!

I figured out what was going on and here is what I learned for anyone who cares to know:

First of all, two totally different things can occur where Henry will start telling you to 'leave me alone.'

If you accept Henry's quest to clear out the bandit tower and do it by yourself instead of taking one of henry's boys to help you, Henry won't talk to you anymore and you're stuck with the 'leave me alone' message.

The other way you'll get Henry to just keep saying, 'leave me alone' is to complete owen's quest but NOT finish the other quest where you need to discover what happened to the other two missing people from the pirate's camp... I forget their neames. You have to find the two bodies (you find them in a small cave near the pond where alligator jack takes you hunting. But discovering the bodies alone isn't enough. You have to report your findings to the two people at the pirates camp who are wondering about what happened to them. So after you do all that PLUS finish owen's quest, then Henry will resume talking to you again... assuming you didn't screw up clearing the bandit's tower by yourself like I did once.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Re: *some minor spoilage*

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer
If you accept Henry's quest to clear out the bandit tower and do it by yourself instead of taking one of henry's boys to help you, Henry won't talk to you anymore and you're stuck with the 'leave me alone' message.

No, I have cleared the tower each and every time alone and never had Henry brush me off.

quote:
The other way you'll get Henry to just keep saying, 'leave me alone' is to complete owen's quest but NOT finish the other quest where you need to discover what happened to the other two missing people from the pirate's camp...

Again, no, this quest is separate and not related to Henry at all, not to mention that technically, you shouldn't even get that quest until you have passed Henry. With Henry it's actually pretty easy:

1) You get the package earlier, MUCH earlier, from Baltram for the pirates but do not deliver it to them, instead keep it;
2) With Alligator Jack, you hunt for meat and then take the meat from Jack to deliver it to the camp;
3) When passing the pirate who's sawing treetrunks, you talk with him and tell that you're headed to the camp, he'll give you the message for Henry;
4) At the camp you speak with Henry about the tower without trying to get in first and he tells about bandits in it, you go there and clear it out;

Then you get back to Henry and talk with him about the admission and what he wants for it, and mention about the merchant package, meat package, about the wood and that you cleared the tower, and done, you're in. The "Go away" message you get when you do something which may tick him off or if you start doing some quests out of order, like messing with those 2 dead guys before you get the quest to actually mess with them (not always but can affect). You do not have to even fight the lurkers at the dead pirate as it is not related to Henry at all, it's a separate small "event" on it's own.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:31 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
No, I have cleared the tower each and every time alone and never had Henry brush me off.

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Again, no, this quest is separate and not related to Henry at all, not to mention that technically, you shouldn't even get that quest until you have passed Henry. With Henry it's actually pretty easy:

yeah ok you got me I just made it all up I have nothing better to do.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Actually you're both right, sort of. The problem is not quest related, though, but an interface bug instead. It has to do with how close the hero is to Henry when you try to talk to him. Try a bit closer or further away and see what happens.

This had me all messed up for awhile until I figured it out. Until then it looked like he was randomly dis'ing me.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:50 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
yeah ok you got me I just made it all up I have nothing better to do.

If you think so. I've played through G2 + NoTR more times then I can remember now (with every class/guild) and never had any issue like this. I've even seen those 2 dead pirates before I've seen Henry and then it did not 'bug out' either, so it's hard to tell what might be causing problems for you. The distance thing - maybe, I've been at various distances from Henry and have not had problems, but perhaps there are cases where this can affect, can't say for sure about this particular case.. Generally the distance taken is automatic, when the char got close enough to Henry the dialogue startet automatiaclly. Sometimes I got too close to Henry, but the char then usually took a step back. But, who knows, it may be so.

However, regarding the missions for Henry (or anything else as such) I can definately say that there's no difference whether you do it solo or not, Henry cares about the result, not the means, so that should not cause you problems. Maybe you smacked Alligator Jack while hunting, accidentally, and Henry is all touchy now
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:22 am