oooooooh Look...... fish!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

oooooooh Look...... fish!

As mentioned in another post I have once again donned the swords and sandals and after making sure I’ve packed my sandwiches and a Thermos, I’m off to the fabled land of Vvardenfell in the hopes that THIS time I’ll get at least a sniff of Mournhold, before my play becomes intermittent and I fold like a cheap suit.

After a troublesome start playing with Patches and finally deciding that my best bet was simply to install “Tribunal” onto the vanilla “Morrowind” and leave it at that, (All my patches from magazine disks either killed the exe or created strange "object cloning" effects in save games) I am finally immersed once more in the watery world of the Wind that is Morrow and as usual I’m finding things that I’ve not noticed during previous attempts.

This time my flabber has never been so ghasted at the discovery of an underwater grotto (I really should have made a note of some names before telling you about it) roughly opposite Seyda-Neen.

How I’ve never seen this before is beyond me as I always start by having a bit of a wander over there although my attention has perhaps been diverted in the past by the ancestral tomb a little further along the coast line, which I never bother sneaking about in until I’ve blagged a silver sword to wave menacingly at spooks.

Unfortunately the shop at Seyda-Neen appears woefully short of Scuba Gear and so my
exploration of the sub aqua grotto is limited to how long I can hold my breath. None the less I have been able to uncover five or six lovely pearls as well as skewering a bevy of Slaughter Fish, who were foolish enough to invade my personal space and who with appropriate seasoning will be very tasty on toast later.

(Note: Slaughter Fish are very scary! The buggers always make me jump more than the land based predators. Brrrrrrrrr.)

Another change this time round has been my decision to pass over my usual magi/muscle character in favour of someone a little more Conan-esk. Now equipped to break rules and faces in equal measure I saunter across the land in true Nukem fashion, weighing up everyone I pass and muttering “come get some!” and “Don’t get your panties in a bunch!”

Early days yet of course, but already I’ve noticed a decided shift in difficulty at the old Seyda-Neen bandits cave. This unsociable trio have always given me trouble in the past, especially their pesky magic user! But this time around….. what a bunch of pansies! Swish! And a bandit falls to my rusty cutlass. Ahhhhh Choooo! As I sneeze and fell the second by lung power alone.

Now where is Wally the Wizard? Ahhhh here he comes and I have a little surprise lined up for him because in Morrowind even the beefiest warrior can lay claim to a little magic and born under the sign of the Lover, I’m just dying to share with him a little “Lovers Kiss.”

Not as it turns out some kind of fetish deviance, but actually the ability to freeze your enemy in place for sixty seconds! So Wally is helpless and I prepare to administer the wedgie from hell! That’ll teach him to wear a dress!

Badger
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:38 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I like the Argonians because I love exploring underwater. I always get the mod that turns their water-breathing permanent and always on... because I tend to take Atronach and it sucks being unable to use your racial power because it takes magic points...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:47 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The first two constant-effect magical items I get made are rings of Water Walking and Water Breathing, and the sooner I get them the better!

Water Walking is great for taking shortcuts, although I occasionally forget to wear it and sink right to the bottom before realising what's wrong. Water Breathing is great for pearl fishing and extended exploration of flooded areas.

Mr Badger, have you not explored the water much then? There's a whole new world down there, repleat with hidden grottos, sunken ships, and legion many-toothed fishies, which as you say taste very good on bread!
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:50 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Really? Had I better don my Patrick Duffy speedos and get me some swimming in then?
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Oh yes, there are many interesting things under the sea.

I used to use a plugin that added a series of quests to Seyda Neen, with the final reward being boots with a constant water breathing and fast swim enchantment. "SilverDrake Boots" or something like that. Very convenient for Cousteau types, and you don't feel like a complete cheater since you have to earn the boots (although the reward is too much for the challenge of the quests, but what can you do).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:25 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Cruising around underwater is suprisingly fun in this game. I just drop a few points into Alteration, and get the Water Breathing going for hardly any interruption in my scuba time. For my fighter toon, this spell actually lasts very long and takes peanuts in mana to cast. There is alot of cool things to explore, too bad the wildlife is sorta limited. I remember when I first found Daedric ruins underwater, I was so stoked over the find!

In fact, there was a unique quest involving those very ruins, somewhere around the lower Bitter Coast if I remember correctly..

I just wish there was a huge underwater creature in the seas of Morrowind. I'll be in some gameworld, in deep water, and get a sudden sense of dread. Im just sure some huge leviathan is suddenly going to appear out of the darkness and barrel towards me. Unfortunately it hasnt happened yet. Yes, those snaggletoothed slaughterfish are pretty hideous, Badger, but theyre great eatin'! You havent lived until you've had blackened slaughterfish filets IMHO.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:39 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Slaughterfish, they're kind of annoying. They make you jump in surprise.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:02 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

They might be cool to keep as pets tho, like make a small pond next to a personal mansion, like a koi pond or something. A slaughterfish pond!

Or keep a 100 gal aquarium of them in the livingroom, prolly be easy to make a "Fishtank Mod"
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'm probably going to take my yearly stab at Morrowind within the next day or so.

It's too bad the game is only remotely balanced for level 1 to 20... that's what kills my enjoyment every time to date... I hit level 22 or 23 pretty easily and everything just dies. Golden Saints are a little tough with their magical attack from hell.... but beyond that....

I wish I'd kept my screenshots from Morrowind (and a few plug ins that I'll have to track down again).... my personal house's entire far wall was artistically ornamented with something like 10 rows of 10 Ordinator helmets. Little pests kept bothering me after I'd killed one or ten with my assassin character.

My paladin got farthest into the plot and advanced farthest into three or four guilds... and he was a beast in combat, dropping things to their knees with his two handed sword and mercilessly finishing the job in a flash as they tried to stand...

So, other than using pre-generated classes (which all suck) how can I make things more interesting this time around? Perhaps a mod that gives everything 10 times it's health... but then the combat would get insanely repetitive....

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:47 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Morrowind is so incredibly long that I still have yet to finish the game. Notice I said "finish" instead of "beat." With a Nord at level 30 it seems that I've already "beaten" the game as there are no real challenges left. Right now I'm headed off to Vivec to claim my "Knight of the Imperial Dragon" armor (A mod someone created which has the coolest armor I've ever seen). Once I get my Uber-armor, I'm going to focus entirely on finishing the main quest, and finally put this thing to rest.

Oh wait.... I guess that'll still be a while. I just started playing Gothic 2 - Night of the Raven with an english translation mod... so I guess Morrowind will have to wait once more!
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:22 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Or keep a 100 gal aquarium of them in the livingroom, prolly be easy to make a "Fishtank Mod"

There is one mod, "Fishing Academy" i think, that lets you catch fish and put them in fishtank for display.

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
So, other than using pre-generated classes (which all suck) how can I make things more interesting this time around? Perhaps a mod that gives everything 10 times it's health... but then the combat would get insanely repetitive....

One mod, Combat Enhanced adds new combat moves; e.g slash + slash + thrust = blow your opponents away, & few others depend on way of attacks & weapons.

Some other mods lower the chance of level up, Improve opponents Al & combat abilities (faster, toughter, more mana, use better spells, run away when in danger).

Look them up at TheLys & EuroMorrowind.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:23 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:

Well Xen, there is a difficulty slider that you can crank all the way to 100, that made things a bit more challenging on the mainland when it got too easy for me. Once you hit Mournhold tho, might want to crank it down quite a bit. I play with difficulty +100 on the mainland, but in Mournhold ive taken it down to +40 because the difficulty is tougher in Tribunal. Im about to start Bloodmoon, and supposedly that takes the difficulty even higher.

Another obvious thing to me, is not using trainers for anything other than getting the ball rolling in a skill. Besides that, no trainers will be used for my Khajit, I hope that will make leveling actually a bit more of a challenge.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:38 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I downloaded like 50 mods (mostly model and structure graphic enhancing) but I made sure to get that combat enhancement one. I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:51 pm