Hi everyone -
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Logan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please read and debate.

Having played all of the big MMOLG's out there, I was working on putting together my idea of a 'perfect MMOLG'. One of the things that I've noticed happens after a MMOLG gets started is that the message boards quickly fill up with useless stuff. Important and insightful posts are buried in a quagmire of slime by people who wish to post incoherient rants and such memorable things as 'bump' and 'first post'.

I was working for a way to make the boards useful for the *developers*. The players can go post wherever else they want. Were I a developer, however, I would want the boards to be of value to *me*.

This is what I came up with:

Only people with accounts can post on them because, quite frankly, we could give a rats fart for anyone who doesn't own our games opinion. They will be allowed to read the boards however. Also, this way, we can track down any truly brainless people and punish them. The boards will have user ratings not by how many posts they have done but by a point system. Red names (people that work for the developer company) will be able to give both positive and negative points. Saying 'bump' or 'first post' or saying things that the developers deem 'stupid' or 'unnecessary' would give you negative points. Your ability to post goes from once per minute to once per few minutes, then once per hour, then per day, then per week, etc.

Posting points in the insightful, coherient points would likewise move up your posting points. After a certain amount of points, threads which you respond to either become sticky for a bit or even alert the red names.

On another plus side, successful design and implimentation of this sort of board could cause it to become a product unto itself. One could sell it to various other applications as well as MMOLG's.
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:52 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Moved this interesting topic to "General CRPG talk"...

Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:21 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Good points but I have some remarks.

First off, how about a game being in development and not yet released. There are no accounts to hand out then.

Secondly, a board is not "only" valuable to a developer, but also to the player. Players answer questions of players, without interaction of the developers.

Thridly, the fact that you don't allow potential buyers to post might even scare them away.

How about tweaking the system a bit and make forum groups on the board. Let's take two for example. In group one, everyone is entitled to post, the forums in the group are moderated by a few selected thrustworthy players. There is no guarantee that developers ever visit this part. They might and they might not.
The second group of forums is restricted to 'members' and is moderated by the developers. You will have to 'earn' the right to post here by means of your posts in the general area.

This can of course be expanded to more groups, like one inbetween the two above, where everyone with an account can post.

The thing to take in account however is that this kind of setup might make people think you are arrogant.
We have seen many boards close down or just been erased because the developers didn't like the criticism.

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:27 am
Shadowcore
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm ashamed, but what is a MMOLPG?

Anybody reading this sig is officially proving my sig to be wrong.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:45 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

MMOLG or MMOG = Massively Multiplayer On-Line Game
MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer On-line Role Playing Game
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:34 pm
vertic
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hmmmmmm.... ok... HI!

Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:40 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-02-15 03:27, Myrthos wrote:
The thing to take in account however is that this kind of setup might make people think you are arrogant.

Agreed. Although if the developer pays attention to feedback from members and responds to them, then the developer could be seen as responsible and truely interested in what their players want.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:38 pm