(Spoiler) Can I do anything about randomness
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

(Spoiler) Can I do anything about randomness

First time through the game, I didn't do the "unification quests". This time, I was determined to do them. I did all the pre-destroy the T-Rang teleporter quests for the Umpani, and I was about to give Z'Ant the coordinates for the Dark Savant's ship, when BOOM - T'Rang turn hostile saying I'm an Umpani spy.

Has anyone figured out a cause besides randomness in the game?

Does anyone have a solution? I have a save in UMB right before I went down and Z'Ant told me he was angry. Failing that, I have a save right before I killed Nessie (then I went to Bayjin, rescued Glumph, got the black box, and explored the rest of Bayjin - about 6-8 hours of gameplay if I had to re-do it). And would I even be wasting my time re-doing it?
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:41 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You need to turn Kunar in. He is the T'Rang spy in the Umpani camp and he'll reveal what you are doing to Z'Ant.

Also, you need to pay off He'li, are she'll spill the beans about you working both sides of the fence.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:30 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I paid off He'Li before. And other threads here have suggested that even if you pay her off she may still rat on you. (My suggested theory at the time was that if you keep Vi in your party, she won't turn you in - she wouldn't do anything to hurt Vi. I guess I could put my money where my mouth is: set portal, portal back to Arnika, pick up Vi, and portal back - it would take me under 10 minutes to test. Hmm, maybe I should see if this matters.)

As to Kunar, I didn't turn him in the first game. And if I do that now, wouldn't that annoy the T'Rang even more? Well, I can give it a try anyway. How do I turn Kunar in?
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

When I did the unification my first time thru, I didn't do all the Trang quests, so someone may need to correct me here, but I believe at one point Zant will give you a code phrase to use with Kunar. That will enable the "turn in" conversation with Balbrak. You might be able to "mindread" it out of Kunar as well.

It should be mentioned, as you might already know, that a hostile Zant will not keep you from finishing all the unification quests. If you have an item he requires for a quest (such as the Umpani flag or CM), put the item in your hand and initiate conversation that way rather than with the lips. Zant will accept the item and initiate the next quest just like normal.

I don't think we've ever completely determined all the factors that can make Zant go hostile. You mentioned He'li. Kunar has come up. It seems there's another factor out there to be determined. Perhaps it's a bug or random chance, or maybe we've all missed something.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:44 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The phrase can be mindread out of Kunar. I'll play around with it and see if anything works.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:27 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

GOT IT! Found out what would work on the first try. Even though I was past the Chaos Moliri quest for the T'Rang, I tried approaching Z'Ant with it in hand. Instead of scolding me for being a spy, he simply said, "You keep it." Everything was back to normal.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Save your game right before talking to Z'Ant at any time. If he inexplicably is hostile to you, re-load and approach him with a "gift" to make him friendly again.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You know, I wonder if Z'ant does have some type of bug in his coding (pun? what pun?). If we've all missed another snitch (beyond He'li and Kunar), then Gen Yamir would go hostile for no apparent reason just like Z'ant does. That's never happened to me, nor have I heard it happening to anyone else.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:04 pm
otter
One of Us

Maybe it is bugged. If you don't pay He'li, even if you never meet her, she still tells.
But if i kill or bust Kunar and kill or pay He'li, i've never had the T'rang go red.
And whenever they do, get any T'rang quest item on your cursor to touch Z'ant with and he'll go green.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:30 pm