View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
sphinxlet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Trying again with Arx...

Hi all,

I asked this question a few months ago, but gave up since I wasn't having any success with the suggestions I recieved here (and never got an answer from Arx). But more time has gone by, so I can only hope that someone else has had the same problem -- and has found a solution.

I have tried many times to get the Arx demo to run on my PC. Here are my specs:

Dell P4 1.7 gHz
Windows XP home edition
512 mb ddr ram
Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card (latest drivers)
Geforce3 ti200 grahics card (latest drivers)
DX 9

So, what happens? I install the demo, get the message that it's been installed successfully. (At this point, just to be on the safe side, I reboot my PC), the icon to play the game appears on my desktop. When I click on it, I'll get the little 'hourglass' for about 2-3 seconds and then nothing. However, even though there's no evidence of the game running, it does show as running in Windows task manager.

I've got at least a dozen other games I've run on this PC with no problem (every thing from Fallout to Morrowind), so, as you can imagine, this is a frustrating experience. Oh, and yes, I'm sure I have the updated demo.

If anyone's got any light to shed on this, I'd sure appreciate it! I've even thought of bypassing the Arx demo and buying the game outright, but if I can't get the demo to run, well, I guess you can see why I'm reluctant to do that.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:49 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I've never heard of this. I had no problem with either version of the demo. I'd suggest getting the full version and patching up to 1.15. If that won't work, take it back. I'm surprised tech support at JoWood haven't been able to help. Have you tried disabling your sound card? I don't know it, and sound cards are notorious for causing problems.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:36 am
sphinxlet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the reply corwin. I couldn't remember if I'd ever tried disabling the sound card, so I tried that and it's still not working.

I'll try e-mailing Arkane again, maybe my e-mail got lost last time, it does happen from time to time.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:21 pm
Rafter II
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I had this happen once before with a game but I’m not sure if it was Arx’s demo.
I had accidentally started the game twice, the game didn’t seem to be running but like you I could see it in the task manager. I used the old Alt – Tab to cycle through the programs running and saw the two games running. I was able to bring up one of the two game menus and close one of the two.
You might want to try and start the game from within its directory (not the shortcut)
Good luck
I did buy the full game and I’m looking forward to Arx 2
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:42 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Two Games Running

I had the same thing and it was with Arx. I hit the short cut but just putting the CD in started the game, it just took longer than usual so I didn't wait long enough. I could never use the desk top short cut without getting two games on at same time. You should ask for help at the JoWood site if the problem continues. The right people get the message faster I think. Use link in the news items to jump there.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:30 pm