Words of Power
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Words of Power

How do I use the words of power? They don't seem to be working for me, what'm I doing wrong? ie: M.A.X. is that literally M.A.X. or is it runes that look like that? Do I include the . ?
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:24 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

You draw them like you'd draw any rune. There's pics of them either here or on the JoWood Boards if you SEARCH for them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:21 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Words of Power

If they're the ones I've already seen (I think there's about 8 or 9 pics) they look pretty sketchy and seem to be mixed up with 'real' runes HHmmm. I've tried the 'normal' way and no luck. I'm just sick of these dammed lichs and Yslides and there's a finite number of life potions and water lillies in the game.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:29 am
corwin

I never used them, but they were pics that were drawn 'in game' Elsewhere at JoWood, I remember Julien Roby giving a series of keyboard commands to draw them. Fireballs are all I've ever needed to handle most enemies.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:37 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Words of Power

I can't see how the keyboard would work. I mean you press 'M' for say MAX and the Map must come up. Perhaps I need to look a bit further then.
I find the fireballs don't stop many enemies at all, in fact they barely slow them down. The Lich in the crypt I enticed away from the stairs then ran. But the Ylsides back at the castle seem to be everywhere and they move so dammed quick. I mean, you an only slog away with your sword so much and guzzle potions. Plus, I've said, once you've used all the life potions that's IT!!!
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:44 am
corwin

No, you don't press M for MAX, you use the arrow keys on the numpad to draw the rune. Your casting skill must be very low if your fireballs aren't effective. 2 kills nearly everything for me.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:52 am
Adam
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes. 1 or two fireballs kills most things. Liches may need 1 or 2 and a little shove of the sword, but that's it. Ylsides should go down in one shot, depending on casting skill.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:39 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Words of Power

Perhaps I need to practise my casting skills more, or put more points into it. I've got a couple of scrolls (which I know are better) but I want to save them as I'm sure there'll be bigger nasties later on and no scroll replacements.
Still not found the Words of Power site.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Links and stuff

First thing, the words of power are here: http://arx.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&game=arx&l1=CheatGuide&infoID=134

You don't need to find the actual rune for it, just cast them (afaik... i never used them). I heard that they are quite hard to get (draw) right, so it might take some tries to get it to work.

I usually play simple melee characters in RPGs, but in Arx I had to focus on magic. Just spend your next skill points on the casting skill, also increase intelligence. And get used to walking with 3 pre-casted fireballs

*SPOILER* While the magic works wonders against 99% of monsters, I -think- that switching to melee in the very final fight is essential.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:48 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Words of Power

Aahh thanx for that. Both tips.
Yes, those were the diagrams I was talking about.
It's a while until I level up again, but I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps I'll play the game again and concentrate solely on magic.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:34 pm
Adam
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes, sometimes Akbaa likes to do some stuff that may render your magic useless, so also invest in a bit of hand to hand...
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:37 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: Links and stuff

quote:
Originally posted by Silvayn
First thing, the words of power are here: http://arx.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&game=arx&l1=CheatGuide&infoID=134

You don't need to find the actual rune for it, just cast them (afaik... i never used them). I heard that they are quite hard to get (draw) right, so it might take some tries to get it to work.

I usually play simple melee characters in RPGs, but in Arx I had to focus on magic. Just spend your next skill points on the casting skill, also increase intelligence. And get used to walking with 3 pre-casted fireballs

*SPOILER* While the magic works wonders against 99% of monsters, I -think- that switching to melee in the very final fight is essential.

Thanks for the link. I'm a little dense. If I want to cast MAX whatever that does do I draw M then A, which are quite clear in the chart, and then X? What is X?

What do these cheat runes do? Anyone know?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:40 am
corwin

They MAX out your stats.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:29 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
They MAX out your stats.

Well, that wouldn't be much fun. I think I'll play without the cheats.
Thanks anyway:)
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:43 am
Adam
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, most importantly it makes you invincible. And big head mode is funny for about...two seconds.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next