View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by K_Murx

Oh, and for the one telling us that "german voicetranslations are the most horrible thing": Subtitles distract from the movie. And, by the way, you knew that Tolkien was an expert in german language? That the translators (in my opinion) all messed up doesn't mean that you could not make "Lord of the rings" sound better in german than in english - the german grammar simply allows many more "little games" than the english one - though not quite as many as latin (but the audience (excluding me) there is sort of "limited"...).

Well why to even bother to pick such a marvelious cast if at the end you want to hear some male speaking german pretending to be arwen and gandalf at the same time ?

But seriously, ofcourse i knew tolkien was an expert in languages.He has writen one of the best books ever, so i've pretty much read a book of his life.My point is that if someone makes a movie, hires those wonderfull actors and thinks really hard how they do their lines etc etc..Then you don't want to hear them, because they don't speak your very own language.I never had any problems with subtitles, in fact i'm so used to them, i don't even pay any notice to them.Instead i'll be very distracted from the movie if i hear actors speaking the language they should not..I've never run into translation that sounds as good as the orginal one.For instance i couldn't imagine german police seriers with out german languge, same way le pact des loups without french or The lord of the rings without english..And what about elvish, would you like to dubb it aswell?

Finally what do you say about music, should it be translated as well?After all different language distracts you so much...
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:18 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

offcorse they should actually translate the music in subtitles like from the matrix pioooooooooooooo dumbedidum bum bum bling bling bääääng pahhh
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:24 pm
ken007
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have to correct myself.... not all characters are bad voiceovers. The main characters are superbly done, like Xardas, Gorn, Diego, Milton and a few others, BUT.... the not so important characters... those who sound like gangmembers.... are just so crappy that it hurts my ears!! But all in all, the voiceovers are okay.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:39 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by ken007
I have to correct myself.... not all characters are bad voiceovers. The main characters are superbly done, like Xardas, Gorn, Diego, Milton and a few others, BUT.... the not so important characters... those who sound like gangmembers.... are just so crappy that it hurts my ears!! But all in all, the voiceovers are okay.

I think it's a big mistake they didn't use the same voice for Diego.
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:04 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe i would be happy even if they used a real real different voice for diego but not that one what is used in G2
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:58 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's true, I agree.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:14 am
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
Well why to even bother to pick such a marvelious cast if at the end you want to hear some male speaking german pretending to be arwen and gandalf at the same time ?

Uhm, I don't know whether you're serious about this or not.
There definitely are movies which are dubbed by just one speaker (as I've once seen on Slovakian TV), but for German dub-versions, each character is dubbed by another speaker - quite often even by acclaimed local actors.

Concerning subtitles:
I loathe them.
Recently I've watched Lost In Translation in the original version with subtitles. Let me tell you something: it really sucked!
Due to the dialogue being shown, most of the punch-lines were visible on screen before they were actually uttered which I considered terribly annoying.
Of course I always try not to look at the subtitles, but usually I can't help noticing them. In my opinion a movie should be shown either in the original or in a professionally dubbed version, because subtitles certainly are disturbing, espacially in situations as mentioned above.

PS: Of course, Lost In Translation was great, nevertheless.

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:10 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe i agree with u about the lost in translation a very good movie and indeed subtitles can be disturbing but sometimes u just need to get used to it
Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Mader
quote:
Originally posted by Dez

Uhm, I don't know whether you're serious about this or not.
There definitely are movies which are dubbed by just one speaker (as I've once seen on Slovakian TV), but for German dub-versions, each character is dubbed by another speaker - quite often even by acclaimed local actors.

Concerning subtitles:
I loathe them.
Recently I've watched Lost In Translation in the original version with subtitles. Let me tell you something: it really sucked!
Due to the dialogue being shown, most of the punch-lines were visible on screen before they were actually uttered which I considered terribly annoying.
Of course I always try not to look at the subtitles, but usually I can't help noticing them. In my opinion a movie should be shown either in the original or in a professionally dubbed version, because subtitles certainly are disturbing, espacially in situations as mentioned above.

PS: Of course, Lost In Translation was great, nevertheless.

well it was meant to be a joke, but i think my point came across.Subtitles may not be the perfect way to translate movies, but its the best way of the worst ones.If i go to see a movie, hell I WANT to hear orginal actors.Actor's voice plays a BIG part.You can't just REPLACE it with some german speaking LOCAL actor, who doesn't even know the character or how he/she should sound like etc.Why do you think Al Pachino for instance is such a splendid actor?How could anyone NOT want to hear him in donnie brasco for instance.The way he moves, speaks makes him so great. If you take one part of that away, you are absolutlely gonna lose something in the process.Most of the times local actors plainly suck compared orginals..I don't really know single dubbed version which would as good as the orginal...Also the way lips moves when actor speaks on the screen reveals is he speaking the language he should.It is really disturbing to watch some old hong kong films were you clearly see that chinese has been replaced with englishtrack..

Concering subtitles:When i watch movie on dvd, i usually disable them if spoken language is english as i can understand it quite well, but if i watch french or german movie, i've to enable them and i don't really have no problem what so ever with it..I don't want french movie to sound english.
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3