Light Side Jedi Consular
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Light Side Jedi Consular

I realized the Light Side Jedi Consular is useless. No offensive might whatsoever. I get my butt kicked with him all the time. The only thing I'm good against is droids.
Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:47 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yup, the light side just doesn't have the same raw destructive power that the dark side has. But then, it can't.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:49 pm
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Uhm, just because you play as a lightside character, doesn't mean you *can't* spend your force points on dark force powers.. I did that with my LS Weapon Master.. No problem there..
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:04 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

True, but it flies in the face of role-playing a real light-sided character.
Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:15 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I never liked to kick the butt with plain Force powers anyway, that'd be too boring. I like the thick of the action Force here is just a supportive tool. Force Wave is nice, Statis-line, such.

Jedi Consular is not a fighter class anyway, it's support class mostly, who of course, can still kick some. But, if playing Consular, then the most fights would go like - you send other team members in first, and then you support and assist them. You don't charge the enemys in front line yourself, that's for Jedi Guardian, for example Send others in, buff them, assist, knock some extra enemys off their feet or put them into stasis. Basically, as a Consular, you "manage" the fights mostly, rather then directly participating in them, but you do add your punch where and when it's needed. As a Guardian or Sentinel, you lead and perform the fights while others assist with it.

Role differences, is all
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 am
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Val
True, but it flies in the face of role-playing a real light-sided character.

True.. But then again, I don't see how using force lightning makes you evil, as opposed to cutting them down with a saber..
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Force Lightening is a destructive power that can kill. All of the light-sided powers aid you and allies or they disable enemies, they don't kill like dark-sided powers can or drain energy from others.
Force Lightening is all about offense. The lightsaber can be used for offense or defense. In the case of Jedi, they use their lightsaber to defend themselves and others. The Sith use it to attack.
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:37 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Sir RubberDuck Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 pm
True.. But then again, I don't see how using force lightning makes you evil, as opposed to cutting them down with a saber..
I used to wonder about this myself until I had it explained to me. It basically works like this.

Being evil is the cause of being able to use dark powers, not the effect of using dark powers. Dark force powers require dark emotions to fuel them. A normal Jedi (who would actually be proficient in emptying all emotions from his heart) could not use dark powers like lightning or choke/kill because he/she wouldn't have the hatred or fear that would be required to use the force for purpose of trying to kill someone. When he had hatred, fear or other dark emotions sufficient to generate dark powers he would already have been pulled close to the dark side. Furthermore actually using the dark power would hurt him as well as the target, although it would hurt the target more.

Offensive, neutral force powers don't directly kill the opponent. They effect something else that puts the Jedi in a better position to win. For example, push doesn't kill you, it forces you into a corner where it is difficult to fight from.

If KOTOR were to reflect that actual force power use in the ovies and pen and paper role playing games it would go something like this.
1. The stronger dark powers would not be available until your alignment was more than 50% dark.
2. Using any dark power would cost force points and at least a few vitality points as well.
3. Simply using dark powers gives you dark side points.
4. The stronger the dark side power, the more it would hurt you to use it and the darker you would have to be before you could use it.
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:17 pm
_GuRu_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is this about kotor I or II?

I know I kicked my way through kotor II using just Force Wave ( doing 40-50 dmg per cast ).

The main enemies are actually the only ones that gave me any trouble.
Post Mon May 02, 2005 1:37 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

LS or DS being a counselor is going to give you some rough moments in the 'boss' fights - you just don't have the staying power of a more combat oriented type.

Playing a DS counselor my first voluntary stop was Datooine (sp?) ... and killing the master there (Vrook? sp??) was a nightmare of a fight. Two to three hits and *poof* reload, that SOB Jedi slime does criticals at the drop of a hat!

So after trying various combinations of shields etc (and getting mopped up I might add) I settled upon the following:

Spoiler:
Cast insanity/horror until he fails his save (more easily said than done, he's got a darned decent saving throw) ... then he's yours. Unfortunately, in this battle the Jedi cheats, and breaks out of it once he's below about 50% health and so you have to repeat the process). The second round went something like: Cast insanity (save), Insanity (save) Insanity (fail), Force lightning, force lightning, drain life (I was pretty low on points after his first two saves), drain life, insanity (save), insanity (fail), lightning, lightning, drain life to kill. Did not have to reload even once ... though it was pretty close during the second round!!

Post Wed May 11, 2005 3:58 pm