Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Computer Morrowind or Xbox Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Which is better, Com. Morrowind or X-Box version?
X-Box
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Computer
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Thread
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Computer Morrowind or Xbox Morrowind?

I am almost scared to think of the arguments this will bring but I need to ask. I have all computer Morrowind games and I like it but the constant crashes are agrivating me to the nine hells and back. I wanted to know if the X-Box version is better in any way, as in no crashes or good graphics. Many and varied thanks for any posts. (Anybody who can guess what many and varied thanks is from will get hours of worshiping.)
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:42 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Xbox version should run smoother, because the build and configuration can be tailored specifically to a known hardware platform. Whether or not this is the case is a matter of debate! Consoles will always boot a game faster than today's PCs purely because it knows what doesn't need to be loaded and doesn't need to wait for any user input. Consoles also cost much less than a comparative PC, and are a better fit to the home entertainment market.

The PC version has three main advantages: it will improve in performance, looks etc as you upgrade your computer, you can easily apply patches to fix bugs and add third-party content, and you can tweak settings at runtime via the text console.

Edit: And, of course, the construction set. Most people will never touch it, but some people wouldn't tolerate a game like Morrowind without an editor!

Last edited by cfmdobbie on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You think the X-BOX version doesn't crash?

It does... and when it does there's no choice but to reset the Box. Furthermore the little things (such as falling through floors) that can be fixed by using the console commands 'ra' 'fixme' and the like CANNOT be applied ... so if you get stuck in a wall because you equip a piece of armor thats wireframe intersects with the wall, or get 'bumped' by an NPC into a piece of furniture... well... hope you saved because you have to reset.

To say nothing of leaving out the fact that baseline Morrowind character models are so VERY VERY UGLY and poor quality ... that base Morrowind textures are 256x256 and look 'fuzzy' (download any of the 512 or 1024 texture upgrades and you'll see SUCH a difference) ... let's say nothing of all the fan patches that fix issues the original patches never got around to...

Crash fiesta or not the PC version is in EVERY way, shape, and form SUPERIOR to the X-Box version. Especially with regards to loading time and area content buffers. Put more than 256 objects in an area in the X-Box and watch what happens.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:48 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, I know full well that the Xbox version crashes as well, but when I say "smoother" I'm more talking about average frame-rate and general user experience.

And yes, the text console has saved my skin on many occasions.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:07 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Yeah, kinda what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll keep my beloved computer Morrowind then. Do either of you know ANY patch that helps the crashes because my Morrowind crashes about every thirty minutes. A severe inconvenience.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Mine has days where it will go six hours without a crash and days when it will crash the first NPC I talk to.

Unfortunate, but true... moreso than any other game: Save early, save often.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:27 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

For some reason Morrowind never crashed on me without mods. RAM is said to be relevant to the crashes, but even on my old comp with 256 PC133 MBs of RAM it never crashed. However, back on topic, I vote for Computer. Most importantly because of Mods and the TES CS. The ammount of gameplay hours of all major mods that have been made are much more than Morrowind itself. and if you look at screenshots with any of the visual replacers, you won't believe this is Morrowind... So, the verdict: Computers forever.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:47 pm
soul hunter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

xbox for many reasons first wide screen 16.9 s 480p 720p 1080i t the first time you load the game save on a different file then load again and it will never crash. also it looks beautiful on hdtv full screen istead of 4.3 but this is just my opinion.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:52 pm
Tzeremes
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I say PC. Everyone here has really hit the nail right on the head for the reasons they have stated...I really wanted to comment on Dunmer King's problem with crashes. I had the same experience with some really bad ram. I used to have 2 256 MB DDR 2100 installed. The game would crash for me EXACTLY 15 minutes in....every time. Looking in the official morrowind forums, I found a fix where you alter a value that deals EXCLUSIVELY with ram and they said if it does not fix your problem it at least will allow you to play longer. I did that and low and behold my game times were lasting anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Now I know that that really isn't a true fix but here is where it gets good... After thinking a lot about the fix itself, I started thinking how maybe my ram is just really messed up. I did an experiment where I took one of my 256 sticks off and after that I had NO PROBLEMS... morrowind has never crashed once for me on that computer since. After a really long winded paragraph, the final comment is...check your ram. It might be that the ram you have is bad.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:46 pm