Never Running RPS$%@%#^&*%(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Hein
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Never Running RPS$%@%#^&*%(

What kind of PC do you need to run this piece of S**T for more than 5 mins after whitch it refuses to run again, before it needs yet another reinstall or update. 4 weeks old and allready at update number 23 and still it's as buggy as hell

Tried to run it on :
P4 2.2 512Mb Gf4 Ti4600 WinXP every NVid driver released in the past year
P4 2.2 512Mb Gf3 Ti200 WinXP every NVid driver released in the past year
P4 2.2 512Mb Gf3 Ti200 Win98 every NVid driver released in the past year
P4 2.4 1024Mb Gf3 Ti200 Win98SE every NVid driver released in the past
P4 2.4 1024Mb Gf2 Ti Win98SE every NVid driver released in the past
XP2100 736Mb Gf3 Ti200 Win98 every NVid driver released in the past year
XP2100 736Mb Gf3 Ti200 Win98SE every NVid driver released in the past year
XP2100 736Mb Gf4 Ti4600 WinXP every NVid driver released in the past year
XP1800 512 WinXP + Win98SE Gf2 Ti every NVid driver released in the past year
XP1800 512 ATI 8500 latest drivers

2 Weeks and Infocrap support still has to answer, or even get back on a phonecall. Bioware refuses any form of support, small wonder I would hide too if I sold a piece of rubbish like this. Makes you wonder how much they pay those socalled "reviewers".

Think it's slowly getting time to pass on CD's and serials to the masses who can't waste $59 on a game that doesn't run.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:13 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I played it right out the box with no updates from beginning to end including most of the side-quest and in all of the playing it only crashed like twice (I think due to messing with the console). I dont even have a "great" system: XP1800, 512 DDR, GF4 440MX, WinXP

I never tried the multiplayer or any mods so I can't comment on that.

I find it amazing that you tested it on so many different systems and you can't find stability. Either you have very bad luck, or it is just you.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:40 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Yep, I did the update to 1.19 and played it through without one single crash. I've played a bit of MP and had no problems.

Most of the updates are to improve the DM client and other MP-related issues.

Perhaps you should look for a consisent software-related issue. Perhaps both machines have some of the same background tasks running, for example.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:15 am
Hein
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

LOL There's very little similar in the systems, allthough the XP1800 and the P4 2.4 are in the same building and the rest are within a 50 mile radius of each other.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:28 am
Dhruin

I can see the hardware is different; I meant the software setup. Often my clients have several computers but they may have exactly the same antivirus software, for example, which is causing the problem. This is only an example - just suggesting you look for the common cause. NWN isn't perfect, but there's an awful lot of us running it without major problems.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:29 am
Hein
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First thing I usually disable are the AV programs. Win versions (mostly UK (98-98SE). a few NL (98SE) , WinXP Pro is US version. The AMD XP's are 100% games setups (that run even Morrowind without a problem).

Tried to return the software (no deal , store only accepts returns if they're still shrinkwrapped ) so I dared them to install the program and run it twice in a row, they couldn't either, didn't make the stuff more returnable to 'm though. So I asked if they would replace my copy with another box, no deal either, because I could have copied the one I had already??.
Called Infogrames support overhere, they said they'd call me back, that was 2 weeks ago, Bioware refers you to Infogrames and so we go looptheloop.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:47 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lack of power certainly isn't your problem. Maybe you've got a bad cd.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:12 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry, I see you thought of that. They should certainly replace the cd if it doesn't install properly, that's bogus. You could tell them you called bio-ware and their policy is for them to replace the cd. Copy the official policy off the internet, threaten them, whatever... Sounds like a nightmare.
Post Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:17 pm