Usergroups
Facts about MM9 from D.20/3-2002
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Until now we know much to little about the game, to really to discuss a ultimate party.
Lets try to summit every fact we know about the in-game gameplay:

-Release date in the stores: ca. 30/3-2002.
-Gametitle: Writ of Fate.
-Gameworld: Cheh'dian, contain 10 continents, including 40 dungeons and 6 clans.
-4 Races to choose from: Human,Dwarf,Elf, Half-orc.
-14 classes to choose/promote to: Fighter,Crusader,Paladin, ranger, mercenary, assasin, gladiator, initiate, healer, priest, druid, scholar, lich, magician.
-4 characters party to make from scratch.
-3 hirable NPC's which also can help fighting.
-4 Magic realms: Light, Dark, Elemental, Spiritual. Each spell can be related to 1-3 realms depending on the complexity of the spell, meaning you may need experience from more realms to cast a single powerfull spell. The power of the cast spell is depending on your levels in the different realms. (Expert,master,grandmaster).
-23 skills are available all with Normal, expert, master and grandmaster features. Depending on character class, you will be limited in which skills you can level up in and which you can't.
- The level up formular looks like this:
EXP_Needed = 1000 X (Lev X (Lev + 1)/2)
- Party formation is new in MM9, you have to decide which characters is standing in front row, middle row, rear row. Each row can contain 3 characters.
- Combat is like MM6-7-8, Realtime/turnbased.
- 66 Quests
- 40-60 game hours.

What I like to know:

-How affect races on the skills.
-What are the 23 skills besides the 4 magic skills.
-Spell names/effects
-Profession/classes features/limits.
-Can you develop your NPC's like your characters or are they final?

Anybody anything else???

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-20 07:20 ]
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:17 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'm also curious about good and evil, whether alignment will play a role the same as in MM7. Whether a Paladin can group up with a Lich.

I'm also curious about the realtime aspects of the game, from those test reportsI've heard that realtime was preferred over turnbased, and why that was.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:26 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I guess the Dark/light limits your capabilities with some skills/spells depending on your alignment, but I'm sure you can have both a paladin and a lich in the same party.

If they have changed the realtime fighting a bit, it's of no concern of me as long they still got the turn-based version. I use realtime combats too, at some easy fights or in fights I don't want to use magic. Both when magic gets involved or fight gets very tough I almost always go into turnbased combat!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-20 07:34 ]
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:33 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yes, I also use realtime fights to some degree, when fighting opponents where magic doesn't matter, but I was wondering whether realtime fights had been changed to facilitate spellcasting, etc., maybe casting of spells is more automated? (Realtime fights were also useful in MM7 if you wanted to be able to run away from dragon's attacks, for instance.)
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:41 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, ther is no problem in casting spells realtime, as long it's the same spell each character cast, but when you want to change spell it gets a bit annoying, but maybe they have found a solution on that!
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:47 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

-How affect races on the skills.
Nothing as far as I know.

-What are the 23 skills besides the 4 magic skills.
The usual ones: Plate Armor, Disarm trap, merchant, sword, mace, dagger, staff, chain, leather, 4magic schools, perception, identify item, repair item and so on.

-Spell names/effects
There's a lot of spells, and I don't think that a single site has that information.

-Profession/classes features/limits.
Not same as usual, because there will no Experts, Masters or Grand Masters(this is official news).

-Can you develop your NPC's like your characters or are they final?
No, I don't think you can develop your NPC, because they are not only fighters, but mostly NPC's in the old fashioned MM6-7 style.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:08 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

-So, no races got special resistances or abilities/skills to grandmaster???
-So, all our old skills will be there except the previous "Race" specific skills like the dragon, darkelf etc. had.
-The new spell system seems interesting. All spells depends on at least 2 magic realms, the most powerfull 3 realms.
-So the NPC's will may only be helpfull in battles, like casting "Blessing" or enhance your perception etc.
- I know each profession, don't got expert, master, grandmaster possibilities, but I presume that each "skill" still got these upgrades. My interest is simply which profession allow/prohibit these upgrades in which skills??? Needed for character profession decisions, so we can discuss our possible first party!

Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:29 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Oh BTW. The new backpack storage system don't seem to have any limits or has it????

Can the burden of the items make a character slower???

I kind of liked the previous limited space backpack! It's more realistic if that's anything worth in a fantasy game.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:41 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

-So, no races got special resistances or abilities/skills to grandmaster???
No grandmaster skills or anything, but things will depend more on the class itself.

-So, all our old skills will be there except the previous "Race" specific skills like the dragon, darkelf etc. had.
Yes, that is what I think, but I don't know if stealing is in the game(from MM7).

-The new spell system seems interesting. All spells depends on at least 2 magic realms, the most powerfull 3 realms.
No sure what you're saying, but I agree with you when you're saying it seems interesting.
A question remains though: Will spellcasters be as unbalancing in MM9 as in MM8 with this new spellsystem? I hope not, because a party of Liches could tear down anything on seconds.

-So the NPC's will may only be helpfull in battles, like casting "Blessing" or enhance your perception etc.
Some NPC's are fighters, and some NPC's gives bonuses like "+5 skillpoints in perception". I am sure whether this is good or bad, because I think everybody will end up with 3 fighters.

- I know each profession, don't got expert, master, grandmaster possibilities, but I presume that each "skill" still got these upgrades. My interest is simply which profession allow/prohibit these upgrades in which skills??? Needed for character profession decisions, so we can discuss our possible first party!
It will be much like in the earlier games, where you need a destructive spellcaster, a healing spellcaster, a person with thieving skills, and somebody with lots of raw power(in MM9 you can actually put the strongest in front, so he takes the most damage).

I still think you have the telekenisis spell, so thieving skills aren't important.. Having a knight in front of the party is a great idea(we all agree on that), but the rest of the party can actually be 3 liches(4 liches would do great as well), at least, if liches are as powerful in MM9 as in MM6-8.

You also stanrt with a "quick party" like in MM6-7, and I think I will start the game with that party(might - might - magic - magic), and develop it to knight - thief - healer - magician.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:56 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

[-The new spell system seems interesting. All spells depends on at least 2 magic realms, the most powerfull 3 realms.
No sure what you're saying, but I agree with you when you're saying it seems interesting.
A question remains though: Will spellcasters be as unbalancing in MM9 as in MM8 with this new spellsystem? I hope not, because a party of Liches could tear down anything on seconds.]

I simply state that I'm open for a new magic system. I agree on the Liches can get quite powerfull in the previous games, but the Knight with the right equipment was my big hitpoint reducer for melee attacks. The Lich however is good for both short and distant attacks.

[-So the NPC's will may only be helpfull in battles, like casting "Blessing" or enhance your perception etc.
Some NPC's are fighters, and some NPC's gives bonuses like "+5 skillpoints in perception". I am sure whether this is good or bad, because I think everybody will end up with 3 fighters. ]

If the NPC fighters don't develop their skills anyway, I guess they become useless later in the game, if you can't find more skillfull fighters along your way! Maybe some fighters/NPC's will only join you when your main characters has reach a certain level?!

[ I know each profession, don't got expert, master, grandmaster possibilities, but I presume that each "skill" still got these upgrades. My interest is simply which profession allow/prohibit these upgrades in which skills??? Needed for character profession decisions, so we can discuss our possible first party!
It will be much like in the earlier games, where you need a destructive spellcaster, a healing spellcaster, a person with thieving skills, and somebody with lots of raw power]

But we got some new professions, we didn't have in the ealier games (Mercenary, Crusader, Initiate etc.), and besides through MM6-8 they have changed the possibilities/restrictions of each class regarding which skills each class could (grand)master!

[You also stanrt with a "quick party" like in MM6-7, and I think I will start the game with that party(might - might - magic - magic), and develop it to knight - thief - healer - magician.]

Yep, roughly the constellation most player will start with, but we like to go into further details. The "Priest" or the "Druid"? The "Magician" or the "Lich" etc. But for that, we need their skill capabilities.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:19 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, you should try to go solo once.. you will soon discover that Lich is the easiest solo game.

Initiate - cruseder: They are both in MM7(monk and paladin class).

The new classes will all be between "knight" and "lich". Just play MM7 once more and you'll see a lot of what you are getting when it comes to the class system.

I don't know what the use of each class is, but I bet you could ask somebody at the boards of MM.

http://www.3do.com/community

Just tell them Maylander sent you!
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:52 pm