A question about the main quest and side quests
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lairor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A question about the main quest and side quests

I'm going to restart my game later on today for two reasons.

One; I feel like I didn't explore enough of the world before I advanced the plot. In my current game I never did pay a visit to Omar and see his side of the story for the revlot. I picked the Paladin's not for a role-playing reason, but the fact that I enjoyed mixing magic and melee so much in the first one that I wanted to do it again in the second. This time around I think I'm going to try to get a feel for both sides of the revlot and see which one catches my interest from my characters point of view. If none of them do I'l probably join the mages.

Two; I was hit with the Mortis bug. Yes I know it's not game breaking, but it's still annoying. Since I sided with the town I had no one that could train my strength past 30. I did find out that there is another trainer that could train me past 30, but he's located in the Valley of the Mines, and I doubt I'd be able to get my character there with only 30 strength.

Well with that out of the way; here's my question.

One of the things that annoyed me in the first game was the lack of any real side-quests to do after chapter 1, and that's the reason why I advanced the plot in this game so earily. I wanted to make sure that I had some stuff that I could do on the apart from the main quest. If I was to do all the quests that I could find in chapter 1 would new side-quests open up in the following chapters? I don't want to be stuck following the main story-line again with nothing to do outside of exploring the world.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 6:22 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

G2 has a similar structure to Gothic, so yes, the quest density will decrease more and more. Fortunately PB found some clever tricks to disguise the problem. G2 has better quests and it holds the pace a bit longer.
You obviously have enough to do in chapters 1 and 2. It could be a good idea to limit yourself to admission quests, thieves guild quests and UPS quests close to the camps in chapter 1. This leaves the more dangerous stuff for chapter 3. Then you´ve more than half the game covered.
Choosing your guild closes the other 2. Cross the pass to the valley of mines when you´re level 8 - and save while you´re still in the city! I also suggest you listen carefully to Lord Hagen when he explains your task. Ask if you want more spoilers.

The mages see a bit more of the story than the other classes. If you decide to play a mage then invest in strength and weapon skills before you join.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 8:58 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

To add to what Gorath said, there are additional sidequests in each chapter. Talk to various named characters again during each chapter. Some will have more dialogue -- others will offer more quests.

Also, each class will receive 2 sidequests tailored exclusively for them. One starts in chapter 3 and the other in Chapter 4 or 5. Just keep playing and you'll see what I mean.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 9:16 pm
Lairor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks a lot! This info has really helped me decide on how I wanna play the game. I already know that I'll be playing this game at least 3 times, so I'm only going to do the admission quests for the one faction that want to join and pick up the other ones when I replay. It doesn't make sense to me from a role-playing stand-point to do the admission quests for the Mercs if I'm planning on joining the Paladin's, and vice versa. I'm assuming that the Mages is more of a neutral faction when it comes to the Famer's Revlot?

Err damn I knew I had forgot something.

quote:
The mages see a bit more of the story than the other classes. If you decide to play a mage then invest in strength and weapon skills before you join.

Oh I know. From playing the little bit (well not a little bit I actually put in 12 hours before I restarted) in my last play-through I quickly found out that you need a bit of strength and some weapon skills right from the start. More so then in Gothic 1. I'm planning on investing LP into my strength and one-handed weapons to 30 each and just save my LP after that and spend whatever I have after I join a faction.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 10:28 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The mages, as far as I know, haven't made a stand in the "civil war" at all. They don't support either(I think they are only concerned with defeated the forces of Beliar, not earthly wars between different human factions).

That's just a theory of mine though.
Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:37 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yeah, the mages haven' taken a side in the conflict, yet. In general they of course are serving the king, but at the same time, they don't bother with their 'earthly' and political games unless it starts to mess with 'greater balance'. They do send out 'agents' to check for things, gather data, advise, but not to directly influence in general. Or if they ask to influence - like when you play the mage - they don't directly support you - they sell you stuff, train you, give advice and such, but wont assist directly. Anywho...

Don't worry about missing some quests when going through first time. Go through and play again, and this time focus on side quests and such, exploration Most quests are indeed in the first parts of the game and later thin out, but they don't dissapear, as there are always some quests in each chapter, in different areas. For example, when I first played through the G2, I was pretty low level when I entered VoM, and it was tough. Lateron, when I played through for the second (and later much more) time, I explored every hill and tree, basically, in Khorinis area. So by the time I went to CH2 and VoM, my char level was anywhere between lvl 18-20 (that's without the add-on).
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:15 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Lairor
It doesn't make sense to me from a role-playing stand-point to do the admission quests for the Mercs if I'm planning on joining the Paladin's, and vice versa.

I suggest you complete all admission quests up to joining, but don't join. Then make a good save.....the next time you play, you can use the save and join a different guild without having to start from the beginning....and you will really appreciate the extra exp. points you will gain.

I keep a few "master" saves......in one I have completed every possible quest before joining, the others saves have a few things left to do so I can warm up before getting into trouble Over time I have learned to tailor each "master" save to the guild I plan to join.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm