This is the day...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

This is the day...

Today, Bethesda will announce TES 4: Oblivion. MorrowindDot will be on the forefront of reporting about the game, and we invite you to discuss it here in this new forum.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I wonder what new features will set it apart from Morrowind?

Morrowind, at its heart, was a condensed and focussed Daggerfall with better graphics. It had an editor and I think alchemy and enchanting was new (player performed alchemy and enchanting anyways). And orcs, I guess.

Will Oblivion be Daggerfall/Morrowind with even better graphics... or will they add something to it? More combat moves? New races?

And will the character models depend on the community to look good this time?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Will there be any motivation to do quests this time? That'd be the feature I'll be looking for.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:30 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Bring on the screen-shots & artwork!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:43 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Over at www.elderscrolls.com , we can see some Oblivion in-game art* on the cover of the October issue of GameInformer magazine.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:57 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The game in development since 2002, so that's at least near two years and they just started PR and annoucement - indicating the game is about halfway through. Stuff like engine, game design, main story etc, already set.

Last edited by Remus on Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:19 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Over at www.elderscrolls.com , we can see some Oblivion in-game art* on the cover of the October issue of GameInformer magazine.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!

Now we have to wait 2 weeks to buy that lame mag.

My buddy manages a gamestop...guess I'll throw down 10 bones and get discount card with 10 "free" issues.

Well, I have started a new character in Morrowind anyway. I plan to play this Altmer/Mage(custom-class) the next 2 years till Oblivion gets released. I am sick of my lvl75 Redgaurd(custom-class).
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:20 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Marvellous, marvellous, marvellous!

We knew it was coming, but now it's officially announced. Once that magazine exclusive expires in two weeks(?), then I'm sure we'll get a flood of information.

Naturally, as we know basically nothing at this stage, I can only say what I'd like improved over Morrowind. It's quite possible that the game will be so different that my wish-list is largely irrelevant. But anyway:

Me, I'd love to see mounts return - but there's no reason why that box art can't be a screenshot of a monster, not a player, so I'm not holding my breath. A huge world is always a good thing, a bit more variation in quests would be nice, a proper day-night cycle, climbing, lots of critters, political goings-on and meetings in dark cellars, an included game editor, rocket launchers, lots of different weaponry/equipment, skills that can interact in interesting ways, better facial expressions, and over-size beasties.

Oh, hey, and considering what we know of the plot, I'd rather like to become Emperor, thanks!
Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:12 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

A new elder Scrolls would be a greate game. I just hope they keep the same level of editing posible as with morrowind. I never seen a game with so many unofficial mods.
If they lurned something from those mods Oblivion would be a better game.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:35 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

If they get the attention to detail that Morrowind had in the graphics, and aleast some of the expansivness of Daggerfall, plus some of the fun stuff like Daggerfall's combat system, and mounts, it will be great. If they just remake Morrowind, pretty, mildly interesting, and the lamest combat imaginable, i'll pass.
LB
Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:11 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

So far, none of the TES games disappointed me (and yes, I do count Battlespire and Redguard). I'll get Oblivion no matter what.
Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:30 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I'm also sure I will give this game a spin. Bethesda is one of the very few left who knows to make a good and pure blood CRPG.
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:48 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Though by rumours so far ... combat will be closer to Gothic's action based than traditional CRPG ...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:41 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Though by rumours so far ... combat will be closer to Gothic's action based than traditional CRPG ...

Ehh, considered how Morrowind and daggerfall handled combat, I would be very surprised if combat in Oblivion would be TurnBased. By pure blood CRPG I'm not necessarily meaning traditional CRPG's. I know TB is considered the ONLY real CRPG way of combat, but it's not essentiel for me. Don't get me wrong I like TB combat games, but I still consider games like Gothic, Morrowind,Ultima IX, ultima underworld, Arx, as well as wizardry and Might & Magic a.o. to be the best pure blood CRPG's. Common for those games are first person (or close to) view, For the most intensive game world feeling (Feel the surprise on stepping on a trap yourself, or be amushed with a real surprise). And very open gameworlds, where you have to find your own limitations. Continue the main story in your own pace without lack of things to do. Guild/NPC societies which you can join/learn from etc. You have a really big impact on how your characters develop. But most important they all these games seems to suck me into their worlds and create a mood that only real CRPG gamer knows about. Forget BG1+2+3?, and Icewinddale 1+2. Fallout1+2+3? etc., probably all good CRPG's but they never delivered this ultimate feeling, they are designed as RTS strategy games with a god's overview. They can be interesting enough, but they never really can give you the feeling to actually be in the gameworld, you just move around the small pieces like on a chess board.
Imagine how different Gothic 2 would feel if your character runs around in the thick forrest in the starting valley, and you from a god's perspective could see everything coming to your character way before he could, Yes Gothic would loose a lot of it's magic, at least in my book.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:49 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

Ehh, considered how Morrowind and daggerfall handled combat, I would be very surprised if combat in Oblivion would be TurnBased. ..

No what he said is action based not turn-based. I'll falling down stairs in surprise if that's the case.

So far no detail regarding that combat focus; although Bethesda did mention on improving combat in TES4, but how far, we don't know yet. I am okay with more combat as long as combat session actually fun (special attacks, little more complex). Imaging you execute spinning kick on everyone in tavern or town then run away from angry crowd or guards.
Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:49 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next