Usergroups
Things that would make Gothic 2 perfect
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

I do train once for lockpicking, and never pickpocketing. I always have a ton of picks, so i don't mind breaking them. Sharky always has plenty in stock and is one of my first merchants. I used sneaking once... I stole into Fisks storage hut and raided his chests. But it wasn't too much later that I could just kill Fisk and take ALL his crap. I do like acrobatics for the dive-roll, but not at the expense of other skills.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:52 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The game itself is quite beautiful. Some of the scenes are like looking at color post cards. Waterfalls, oceanside, lightning and shooting stars and just about everything else is about the best I've ever seen in a game.

The only thing to improve on is controls. Next time incorporate the mouse in game play.

I'm ready to sign up for Gothic II
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:02 am
Jabberwhacky
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I use the mouse alot; in fact, I never take my hand off it.

My favorite skill in the game is Acrobatics; when I first got it, I was really mad all it was was jumping, but then I got used to it and now I pretend I'm a werewolf. You do go much faster leap-jumping than just running, unless you're going up hill.

IMO, they could do a LOT to the graphics. I liked em, but they weren't the greatest. I hate the spell effects; it's really lame how my FPS drop to about 4 whenever I cast teleport just because of the rush of pixels from the spell. The people looked good, except the main character, he was one ugly piece of trash.

Only two things stick in my mind about the graphics: how frickin crappy the rain is and how cool the barrier looks. The rain is AWFUL! It looks like scratches in a movie film, it's way too white. I like how the barrier pulses though, that's really nifty.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 2:58 am
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

I do think the landscape is terrific, exceptional. Not just the graphics, but the landscape. The shape and roll of it... The cliffs and swamps and beaches. I think it's very well done. I do think they could give you more ambient sounds, like wind in high altitude. They have it in some places but not all.

I actually liked the rain, maybe I just got used to it. I like that there isn't just day and night. I actually feel like there's weather and dusk and dawn. I've never had that sense in a game before.

I'm with Jabber, I do like the acrobatics. Though I did use it in the sleeper's temple and dove right off a pillar into the fire... That's not a game problem but a gamer problem

I'm nitpicking about some things. It's the best game out there in my mind. I didn't think I'd find a game I'd be more impressed with than say Deus Ex or Max Payne. But I can't compare them. To me, this set a higher standard, even with some areas that could be improved.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:54 am

Hey just out of curisoity, how would you compare Deus Ex to Max Payne? I liked Deus Ex, though admittedly I lost interest towards the end. It just went on and on and on...

Max Payne is something I never got to try. Is it any good in comparison to Deus Ex (lenghth aside)?
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:25 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I can´t say anything about Deus Ex, but I played Max Payne for two weeks.
Imagine a linear shooter with balancing problems. Then change the perspective, add a story using all the clichés of black&white detective movies combined with some newer movies including John Woo´s. Combine this with monotonous but stylish high quality graphics and some freaky drug hallucination levels. The last ingredient is this fantastic bullet time effect.
Gameplay is rather dull, the storyline gets weaker and weaker, the enemies incredibly strong, but the start is great!
I played some of the mods. A few of them are better than the original game.
On the whole Max Payne is overhyped, without bullet time you can find a dozen better shooters. Get it when it goes budget and it will be worth the money.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-01-01 13:03 ]
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:56 pm
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

Max was a third person shooter really, but a very good back story. Phenomenal graphics and gameplay. It has bullet time which is a very cool feature. I loved it.

Deus Ex had much more of a role-playing element than Max Payne. Max was very dark and personal, where Deus Ex had large forces at work, an epic so to speak. Global domination and all that.

Max was some of the best eye popping action I've ever seen in a game, but no choices or skill building... Hunt and kill. Get it just for the graphics and action. You will not be disappointed
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 6:57 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I would greatly appreciate an automap system. It would be nice to have a blank map that would show the where you are adn where you have been.

I would also like to have points awarded for opening locked chest; but if I could only pick one thing: the map system
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:24 am

No one has mentioned that the highest damage 1 hander is Scar's Sword, at 85 damage!

also, there is a 6-7 hit combo for both styles! duh! just hit left or right, then up 4 times...
---
things wrong with Gothic

(main problem) Why the name "Gothic"? is this a German thing? does it have any meaning at all? Why not Jesus? 'cause that's what you are, a chosen one, just like in Diablo, oh and the Bible.

old mine doesn't really collapse at all! amazing!

you can run into any hut you like and take a quick 10 hour snooze before the digger/shadow man says "wah i'm a pussy and i'm gonna get a guard to help me wah" for the second time.

guards are being commies and aren't doing anything to stop me from attacking hapless peons(but it's funny to hear a previously beaten man say "i didn't see a thing...wah don't hurt me wah"

the critical plot issue: what were the guards planning on doing after the barrier was created(assuming the delicate structure of magic had not been disturbed on that day?)? just be locked inside with the prisoners until the mages decided to take it down?

not a big enough world, not enough challenge after you get heavy armor of any type and scar's sword

two handed costs too much at 70 pts.
---
good things

inclusion of the useless Mud. his name's Mud.

ability to get infinite exp. from super secret champion edition demon room in temple.

ability to belly flop into a river from a height of 200 ft and not get injured at all

good music

times of day and rain

ability to chase guys all around old camp after ch 4 and they can't get any farther than the gates

chimpy whore ability to steal scar's sword with that 55damage axe i stole from the bartender

Graham being intimidated by my old sword!

Lefty.

---
what do you think?
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 3:39 am

DeepFreeze
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*ahem* Multiplayer? Truely nonlinear gameplay(not just in the first chapter)? I mean, why do i have to join a camp at all? Why can't i just freelance or start my own? Why is every sentence in this post a question? Why is the plot so boring? Why do i have to spend 3-5 hours running errands in the beginning of the game? Why can't i craft weapons better than "crude swords"? Those are my improvements.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 3:59 am

It's already been noted that Scar's Sword is the most powerful 1H weapon in the game, but the Berserker Sword is also more powerful than Lares's Axe (though only by 1 point).
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:17 pm

Basically everything I would change in making Gothic 2 would end up making it like Fallout in another setting.

BTW, Fallout and Fallout 2 kick ass.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:22 pm

ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic. The Goths? Ever hear of them. The Visigoths? Gothic architecture? True about the mouse and combos, I thought the combat was pretty good. I used the mouse all the time too.

It seems funny how a person can say: 'I really liked the game and here are all the things that are wrong with it.' Virtually everthing according to you.

To appeal to a mass market certain considerations have to be made. They have to make the game relatively easy, lowest common denomenator, because they want it too sell. It's seem strange to me when people say: 'I acted like a psychopath and nothing happened.'
Something did happen, you acted like a psychopath. And now you want more: decapitations, blood, gore. Then you complain that the women won't talk to you. That seems pretty reasonably to me. I would run screaming from an insane, depraved person, such as yourself, too. (To whoever wrote that).
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:28 am
ixos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

well, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want ANYONE making Gothic 2 other than the people who made Gothic.

The maps were designed meticulously. If you fly around in camera mode outside your character, it literally deforms my mind how on earth they managed to do all of that without cutting corners.

Perhaps that's the problem. Corners HAVE been cut. There ARE problems. But what do you expect?

Have any of you seen ANYTHING like it come close? I've seen games come and go, but nothing like this. I've never seen NPC detail like this. I've never seen architectural detail as high as a RPG has a right to be.

The way the whole thing has underground passages, beaches, collapsed architecture, ruins, secret caves, mines, tunnels, temples, hills, mountains, pathways, narrow walkways, bridges...
hell, I could go on with the level of detail and obvious effort that has gone into making Gothic for at least an hour.

I agree on most of the points here. There are certain facets that could potentially detract newcomers from Gothic - the review I saw immediately pointed to a poor interface - well sure, it is for the first 30 minutes and after that... ? It works. I mean, that's just amazing.
When I first had a go without reading the manual I couldn't figure out how in hell to pick something up, never mind enabling something and using it.

Once these barriers (no pun intended) were crossed, 3/4s of my entire game was spent stopping, taking in the view and drinking scotch.
Now what does that tell you?
Let me tell you this, I ordered from dabs.com around £600 to upgrade my PC to a AMD Athlon 2000+ and a ASUS A7VKT266 - with a 21" monitor from Iiyama, you suddenly realise the potential that these developers have in their hands and mind. They could literally change the course of 3D RPGs.

The sound and spot effects are just the icing on the cake.

The spell effects are average, but essentially, this is NOT a FPS. But yes, I'd dearly love to see a big effort on improving spot effects

But think of this - what if Gothic focused far more on effects than the underlying facet that makes the environments so engauging.
I'm sorry to inform you, but poor graphical environments can't help but to detract from spell effects and weapon effects being of a supernova quality and the gameplay from being of a FPS quality like Quake2/3.
It's not going to happen.

Morrowind can do it, I won't deny that it will be better (possibly), but Gothic has certainly made Morrowind go from "the best RPG of 2002" down to "oh, it looks like Gothic with a better interface".

Anyone remember when UNREAL first came out?
This is my point.

[ This Message was edited by: ixos on 2002-03-28 08:09 ]
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well said.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next