SoU & HotU monk multi class
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Snome
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

SoU & HotU monk multi class

Which monk mulitclass character would be better (eg more powerful) going through both SoU and HotU. At the moment i'm thinking either monk/dwarven defender or monk/bard (or sorc) 1 lvl/ DD. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's no need to multiclass at all if you don't want to. If your monk can survive SoU (low level monks are pretty weak), you'll tapdance thru HotU. If you really want to multiclass just for the fun of it, Xen is probably the guy to answer your question.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:15 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Straight monk is the most powerful monk character. The ability to punch 6 times a round for 1d20 damage (in 3.0) cannot be overstated. Nor can empty body and spell resistance.

However, using an enchanted kama can be comparable. A monk with a 20 strength attacking at level 20 with his fists will do 1d20 + 5. That's 6 to 25. A monk with a 20 strength using a Kama +5 will do 1d6+10... 11 to 16.

Given few monks have a 20 strength... 1 - 20 vs 6 to 11 with a 10 strength instead is as likely. It averages out to nearly the same with ideally the 1d20 having a slight (and only slight) advantage.

If you're going to jump out of monk, however, there are some nice options.

First off, never leave monk before level 9. Level 9 is Improved Evasion, which is the single most powerful class feature in the game.

Monk 10/fighter 10 makes you death with a Kama basically. The monk can benefits from the extra hit points and the base attack improvement (and certainly can benefit from the feats).

Monk 9/rogue 11 is death by sneak attack. If you move into a flanking position (in NWN this means attack someone who is attacking someone else, or attack someone who has been knocked down) you do horrible things to them. Damage becomes 1d10 + 5d6 + strength. As usual you need to wear magic gloves to affect anything with damage reduction.

Monk/sorcerer/dragon disciple can be pretty fearsome. More strength plus rapid frequency of attacks is never a bad thing. However, your base attack suffers hardcore. You'll need the +8 strength the dragon disciple gives you just to break even... and in my opinion that's not worth the +4 damage a hit that +8 strength gives you.

DD is much better for half orc barbarians who put all their level boosts into strength and grab strength items to rage to a 40 strength (or more) and use a two handed weapon. +4 to hit and damage because your monk started with a 10 strength and has to wear a dexterity item on his belt slot to stay alive is nothing compared to the +22 to hit and damage a half-orc barbarian gets from the same deal (start with a 20 strength, +5 from level boosts, +8 dragon disciple, +4 to 10 from a belt of giant strength, +4 for raging = 41 to 47 strength = +15 to 18 to hit and damage with a one handed weapon... x1.5 for a two handed to equal +22 to 27 = big. frigging. splat. Use a Scythe for a x4 critical hit and your strength bonus alone does nearly 100 damage on a critical hit.)

Monk/Dwarven defender is just neat. You give up extra damage and spell resitance and such for generic damage reduction (number/-) which is awesome. Then again, my pure monk had a 59 armor class using expertise at the end of Hoardes of the Underdark... damage reduction isn't needed if nothing can hit you (dragons needed to roll 17+).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:03 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i was taking a different approach to my monk for one campaign, although i havent played with him for a while. since he had a high WIS score, i leveraged that to invest a monk/cleric.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:10 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's not uncommon for a NWN cleric build to dip into 1 level of monk and 1 level of paladin to get their wisdom bonus to armor class and ability to wear monk robes/gloves and their charisma bonus to saving throws and better weapon proficiencies. You still get your 9th level spells by level 20 so you're ok.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:43 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

what about the XP penalty you get if you take 3 classes (as a human) or 2 classes with one being unfavored class (as anyone else). I havent actually checked to see if that rule is enforced in NWN, i just assumed it always "happens". and so i always ended up picking race after choosing my desired class build.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:53 am
Snome
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A plain monk it is them ! Thanks for the advice.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My "vanilla" monk is up to level 22 now, and most of the way thru chapter 2 of HotU. He's doing very well, I must say.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:17 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

I did a monk weapon master. At 25rd level he simply does awesome damage as a 2 fighter (for the feats), 7 weapon master, 16th level monk. Frankly, kamas are just toys. But his great axe can do over 100 hits in a blow, add in improved whirlwind attack, and you are looking at something really awesome. Additionally if he gets disarmed, which is highly unlikely, he can still pummel you to death. Although I think they did downgrade the monks instant kill, quivering palm, in Hotu.
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:44 pm