DAMN! Nobody knows Gothic...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
ZappasGhost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi there ,

Unfortunately , gothic is no best seller.
The Problem is, that only few guys knows about this fantastic Game.
It is a dishonor for Gaming Magazines out of Germany (Mags in Germany are the same rotten pile of shit)that Gothic is no real Topic!

Piranha Bytes did such a fantastic Job , but
Nobody speaks about Gothic.
If the Question is: " What is the (RPG) Game of the Year..,is everybody speaking about
Diablo2 Addon , Dark Age of Camelott....
But what is about GOTHIC????

I have never played such a damn coooool RPG.

What do u guys think about??

I wish u only the best.
(U are what u is . F Zappa 1987 live in NY)

ZappasGhost

Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:29 pm

I can not pull myself away from this game. I have been thru the demo 7 times. I am on my way to buying this game as I speak.
I use to hate RPG's. I almost deleted it when I tried it. But I stuck with it and now I love it.
Maybe because the demo is so big most people don't have the time to download it and try it.
Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:03 pm

pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Usually games dont get popular cause of bad advertising and markeing, and from what I've heard, this game has that problem.

It really irks me when I see games like D2 exp as best games, that game sucked IMO, DAOC looks good though, but Gothic definatly deserves better!
Post Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:09 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

What is a Computer RPG.

I am sure that nearly everyone that havnt played a real RolePlaying game have their opinion on what a RPG truly is.

Veterans, like me, have our own opinions upon what a "RPG" is. We usually agree in discussions, and have the same idea upon RPG's, but when we are trying to tell our opinions to outsiders, we sound very different.

Personally I have splitted "RPG" into three categories.

The 'Old Style' rpg, alias "Computer RPG" is found in games like Diablo 2, Wizardry 8, Might & Magic and any other Hack & Slash out there. In the good old days, like 20 years ago, the roleplayers really played the Pen & Paper games this way... Killing monsters, hordes of monsters, collecting "points". Back then, Roleplaying Games where still Games, of winning, getting better and earning points. The computers made the dicerolls alot quicker, wich made the combats more fun since there was no need by a game master that couldnt calculate the massive amount of calculations quick as a computer could.

Theese are Computer RPGs...

The MMORPGs, the Multi-Player RPGs are much the same, but in theese you may actually find other people to speak to between the dice-rolling parties...
The problem with theese are that you are unlikely going to find people there that have your opinions about what roleplaying games is. You might tell him "Aye mate, thy might is great, and I must confess that I like to accompany my next quest with thee", and he can reply with "l33t, we r0WkZ! Have a +5 chain mail, do not worry, its duped, so I have my own".

Theese are Multi Player RPGs...

The last one, are the Role-playing games. In theese you must have the freedom to play your character the way you want to play him, and choose your own destiny. This is how the real PnP games are played today, but this is also very difficult to implement in a computer-game... Theese games can only be appretiated by the ones that can take roleplaying games seriously...
After solving Throne of Bhaal, I took the option to become mortal again, so I could spend the rest of my days with my beloved Jaheira. Many people would probably choose to take the throne of Bhaal, but to me, it didnt feel right.

This, in my opinion, is real role-playing. But only a roleplayer can experience a game this way, and will appretiate a game like this...

To enjoy Gothic, you probably need to be able to take a game such as this seriously.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:07 am
ZappasGhost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi JemyM ,

You are right.
A lot of people have his own opinions about CRPG.
But is it not , that the general quality of a Computer Game (RPG to) only have two important aspect ?
INTEGRITY of the Game World , and the FUN while iam playing.
And in these two categories , shines Gothic!

For me is this "Fantasy_Adventure" the Game
of the last five years!

Friendly greets and a cool new year to everybody here....

ZappasGhost
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 8:40 am