Usergroups
Summoner vs Wizardry 8 vs Baldur's Gate II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I am playing Wizardry 8 now. Only at the start of the game, just arrived at Arnika. Maybe it's me; but I'm not really getting into this game. It seems like it takes 15 minutes to complete a battle (combat settings are at the Max) and then boom, I'm in another battle and then almost at the end of that, someone dies and I have to do the same thing all over again. Maybe the game gets better as my team gets stronger; but as for now, there just isn't the draw that gothic has.
I have Summoner installed on my computer, but haven't started it yet. So my question is: which would you rather play
1. Wizardry 8
2. Summoner
3. Blader's Gate II (I played that before, but without the add-on, which I have now).
Just looking for something to do until Dungeon Seige comes out or next year when Morrowind comes out.

P.S. My monitor went out last weekend, so I bought a new one. Wow, the colors in Wizardry 8 are very vivid. The greens are very striking.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:47 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I'd probably choose Wizardry 8.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wizardy 8
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:08 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

the game gets better, I take it?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:35 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I don't know, never played it. It seems cool though and the reviews were good.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:06 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'd play BG2 with the expansion pack first. Then I'd play Wizardry 8. I haven't played Summoner yet.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-26 17:35, Max Killen wrote:
the game gets better, I take it?

I do not know. If I like it, you maybe will not, perhaps we are different.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:50 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I am playing Summoner at the moment. I am stuck in one area, but I would say it is a good game.
I have played a demo of Wiz 8.....hmmm ?

Not sure about it as far as gameplay goes. Like you, it didn't "grab" me. OK it has nice grafix and animations but for me, I need to feel for my character(s)and associate with them. It is only the demo and I will probably buy it when it is released over here in England. It has loads of stats and is very intuitive to play, but.........
I have played to a point where I get twatted by 3 bats and I have to admit there is nothing that pulls me back for just one more go.
Also, the character voices...I reckon it is the same voice over team that did Jagged Alliance 2. I kept expecting one of my characters to say, "You've got my ear !
(Only relevant to JA2 players)
Anyway, Baldurs Gate II (+TOB)...now you're talking. Excellent in every department.

So for me BGII is top of my tree along with Gothic. Two different gaming styles which is obviously welcome.

I am looking forward to Dungeon Siege, Divinity, Morrowind and obviously Neverwinter.
Hope they don't dissapoint. Maybe I am becoming too fussy in my old age. Are we expecting too much from a game ?
As an audience / customer base, the developers have to try and meet our expectations. Do they actually know what we want or are they developing what they want?
The RPG fraternity is (IMHO) small compared to an audience for Max Payne etc;
Obviously, more sales can be guaranteed for this bigger audience.
Developers of RPG's have a smaller customer base so they must be doing it for the love of this type of game. Fair play to them.
Hopefully developers scan these posts and can pick up on the dos and donts for their next project.
Enough from me.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:09 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-27 02:09, Hexmaster wrote:
I have played a demo of Wiz 8.....hmmm ?

Not sure about it as far as gameplay goes. Like you, it didn't "grab" me. OK it has nice grafix and animations but for me, I need to feel for my character(s)and associate with them.

I have absolutely different opinion. I was mainly FPS player before that. So when I tried Wiz8 first time, I said - "this graphics is not nice, these exteriers are not well done...". But game itself is perfect (of course only for me). Some wrote on Wizardy8 that this game is trash.
Ok, I know that someone could do not like this game, but that opinion is incorrect. This game is not trash. It is very good, maybe one of 3 best games I have ever played, but it is about your likes and dislikes.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-27 02:19 ]
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:18 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

My bet is also Wizardry 8, but I also want to advertise for Summoner. A great CRPG game with some very nice graphics. The close overhead view in non-combat mode makes it almost as immersive as 1.person view. In combat the overview change to bird-perspective a la BG2. Good and evolving story, and sufficient RPG elements regarding character development, items/weapons.

BG2 is a solid CRPG with a lot of personal characters with a lot of different dialogues.
This game is very big too and an advanced combat system in regarding to find the best solution! It's flaws IMHO is the far away bird-perspective for less immersive gameworld experience. The boring AD&D character system, which give you almost no choises when you level up. A long and mostly uninteresting story which twist to much to keep you interested. It's a game that many people don't finish.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:20 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-27 04:20, Michael C wrote:
BG2 is a solid CRPG with a lot of personal characters with a lot of different dialogues.
This game is very big too and an advanced combat system in regarding to find the best solution! It's flaws IMHO is the far away bird-perspective for less immersive gameworld experience. The boring AD&D character system, which give you almost no choises when you level up.

I must agree, I really do not like AD&D system of developing of characters...
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:32 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Having played Wiz8 through to the finish, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It, however, does have a totally different play feel than Gothic (but that is good). If the pace of the game truly bothers you, then quit because it doesn't get any better - but it doesn't get any worse either. The only fault I found with the game is just the one you mention - battles take far too long.

One proviso though. It DOES depend upon what group you have - I tried several. Some groups are just inherently faster killers than others. That was another thing I did enjoy about the game, replay was high because by changing the group you had a different feel - one requiring different tactics.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:54 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ge for Summoner. I played and it charmed me from the start. I've seen the reviews on Wizardry 8. I think it's only something subjective wheter you like it or not. It's old style RPG with cheating AI (monsters grow stronger as you go stronger. Try going back to the place where you started and you'll see what monsters you meet).
You will defenetly love Summoner! It has a wonderfull feeling and it's extremy "player-friendly". It's more playable. You can try Wizardry after that, but do not miss Summoner! It's great!

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:33 am
vertic
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i would say BG 2... i got tired of summoner just after a couple of days!

Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:38 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Having bought a budget version of Summoner just today, I guess I'm looking ahead to that now. I didn't quite get into Wizardry 8 myself. It's... I can't describe it. Like seeing a documentary on TV. Not my kind of game at all.

Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next