I really hate consoles....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I really hate consoles....

They've just shipped summoner 2 for ps2 only. I hate them. Original Summoner was so nice game...
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:32 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really, I doubt it will stay PS2 only. Give it a few months and see if it gets ported to PC.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:00 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Maybe, but "<your favorite/most hated console> exclusive" mark is scaring me from time to time. Look for Bungie's Halo... GTA3's delay ...
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:16 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yes, i do get annoyed if great games appear only or first on certain gaming platforms.

Bungie's Halo is one of them. From what i read from numerous reviews it is excellent first person shooter, but until now i still waiting it come to PC. ...

Another problem with a games developed for more than one gaming plaforms is conflicting & clunky interfaces or controls. For example in GTA 3 there is no easy available save option (usually exist in console games). It's real pain (especially interfaces) when playing games that original created for different platform.

Last year we got another new gaming platform - Xbox. If you go to Official Morrowind forums you can see PC MW' player apparently don't like Xbox MW' player; they usually start bickering & clawing at each other when one of the platform owner start complaining or whining at Bethesda because of different gameplay option and interfaces in different MW versions...

For now i don't foresee unified gaming platform in future. As long as we have big companies capable of creating new gaming devices, new gaming business schemes - there will be more game for different platform coming...

Last edited by Remus on Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:11 pm
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Summoner 2 for the PC

I doubt it will come out for the PC, it seems like every time someone tries to do a console game for the PC (Final Fantasy, Grandia II, Summoner, etc) it never does well. The original Summoner was pretty much ignored and snubbed by the computer gaming press while if it, say, had a Dungeons and Dragons name on it they'd be all over it.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:45 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Re: Summoner 2 for the PC

quote:
Originally posted by Motoki
I doubt it will come out for the PC, it seems like every time someone tries to do a console game for the PC (Final Fantasy, Grandia II, Summoner, etc) it never does well. The original Summoner was pretty much ignored and snubbed by the computer gaming press while if it, say, had a Dungeons and Dragons name on it they'd be all over it.

WELL SPOKED THATS sOOOOO TRUE
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:42 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Does someone know how many packages of excelent game they sell for PC and how many for consoles?
I just wonder if it is good for developer to develop something for PS2 rather than for PC.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:20 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I have no idea about the total game titles sales between PC & consoles.

However, from what i read somewhere many game developers & publishers acknowledged the pressures on PC gaming market in term of competition from consoles platform.

There is Pro- & Con- in this issue:
1)PC

- PC gaming platform = keyboard + mouse = ideal interface for shooter & RTS & simulations, not to mention third party peripherals = joysticks, gamepads & wheels.

-Plus PC has memory & big (upgradable) hard disk space, high resolution with PC monitor,

-good & easy acces to internet or online gaming

-fast growing power of PC through more powerful hardwares.

-A lot of choice & game titles in PC gaming market.

2)Con-:

-fast growing power of PC came with high cost/price compare to cheaper consoles.

-system requirements & software/hardware compatility problems (open ended nature of PC, although it also has positive sides) which make the customer support cost is higher compare to consoles. In Official MW forums a lots of technical problems/complains came from PC players - although the number of Xbox players probably more than PC player...

-a lot of competition in PC gaming market (too many titles available), thus the profit margin becoming lower & lower.

-publishers probably prefer to release products on more than one gaming platforms, hoping that one of them will be more successful than other...

-New innovations in console gaming devices, Xbox = build-in hard disk, Xbox Lives with lots service + gifts to offer = build-in ethernet port, online gaming capabilities with many title includes MMORPGs, etc etc....
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:30 am